Cadets 2018

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

leave the other guy with bad blonde hair out of this

I wouldn’t really call it hair 

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

this thread is RIDICULOUS

I couldn't agree more GD. I used to be a fan of Lot Hype, but I won't patronize them anymore, not after the Facebook Live broadcast they dedicated to this last night. And the fact that this is a discussion here doesn't surprise me in the least. Hop isn't perfect, but none of us is. The fact that someone "leaked" (more like gladly posted and sent to a million friends) this letter is not shocking, and its only intent was to try and bury Hopkins. But the man has been at his post for close to 40 years, has changed thousands of lives, dedicated his life to non-profit work, is a workaholic, and has challenged the status quo. Are his people skills questionable, possibly, but no one said you have to work for him. Here's some advice from someone that's been around the block a few times... grow up. The world doesn't give a rat's ### about what you feel is fair or if someone hurt your feelings. If you've been around this activity long enough, you know what you're getting into when you got o work for Hop. Rather than trying to destroy a man and the organization he and his team have built, try doing something more constructive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

on this topic I must defer to my senior DCPers and those more intimately involved with the Cadets from a historic perspective...did I read that the focus of Mr. H was moving more toward C2 and US Bands and less of a focus on building a championship  Cadets corps..and if so , why?

okay I'm in with this logic. "You know what you're getting yourself into. You don't have to work for him."  Right. Good. So, we have all been warned. Do not take a job at YEA or US Bands. As the naturally accelerated attrition occurs at those organizations, resist the temptation to fill an open position. GH is a wizard. He can do this by himself. Carry on!

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

okay I'm in with this logic. "You know what you're getting yourself into. You don't have to work for him."  Right. Good. So, we have all been warned. Do not take a job at YEA or US Bands. As the naturally accelerated attrition occurs at those organizations, resist the temptation to fill an open position. GH is a wizard. He can do this by himself. Carry on!

Pretty much this.  I don't doubt that GH has contributed an immense amount to the Cadets and DCI as a whole.  However, he can't (and shouldn't) do it all.  There are some areas that are not his strengths.  He needs to let other people take on those loads.  Yes, it is somewhat ridiculous to have (or have to have) these conversations.  On the other hand, if one is looking at the long term stability of an organization, there are alarming red flags out there - both fiscally and reputation wise.

I've never had anything much to do with Hop directly, but I will say as one small point in his defense that when I was running the DCP forums BITD, I sent out several requests to all corps for help with various contests, giveaways and other behind-the-scenes issues.  The Cadets always stepped up without hesitation and often went beyond what we asked for.

I'm much less about torches and pitchforks than I am about seeing the Cadets contend again and letting the drama die down, no matter how they do it.

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah what I took from that post was "Let Hopkins sink his own ship." What kind of business model is "The boss is ruthless, uncooperative, and unreasonable so don't work with him if you're not ready to be treated like garbage." The problem is this is going to hurt The Cadets and YEA as there places to work with just as much success and that will treat you well. Like Boston.