Cadets 2018

29 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Okay, fair enough. 

What exactly did you mean then, when you say you won't be around to support it online?

I'm meant I won't be defending every move or idea. I found myself constantly in the position of making excuses

however - I do have first hand information in THIS instance that is being used unfairly and inaccurately to attack George Hopkins

What's happened here is an individual was given an opportunity, frankly in over their head (that aspect is Hopkins fault to a degree) and then when given feedback instead of stepping up, quits without notice via a hissy fit resignation letter, and leaves a youth organization in the lurch

then all the Hop haters and anti Cadets folks (two different classes) flood this thread using this "letter" to reaffirm in their minds their long held biases 

so I spoke up 

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I'm meant I won't be defending every move or idea. I found myself constantly in the position of making excuses

however - I do have first hand information in THIS instance that is being used unfairly and inaccurately to attack George Hopkins

What's happened here is an individual was given an opportunity, frankly in over their head (that aspect is Hopkins fault to a degree) and then when given feedback instead of stepping up, quits without notice via a hissy fit resignation letter, and leaves a youth organization in the lurch

then all the Hop haters and anti Cadets folks (two different classes) flood this thread using this "letter" to reaffirm in their minds their long held biases 

so I spoke up 

First of all, thank you for the clarification.

You state that you have first hand info regarding the USSBA director and his dealings/departure with GH. So were you involved directly in the situation or was the information told to you?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

What's happened here is an individual was given an opportunity, frankly in over their head (that aspect is Hopkins fault to a degree)...

No one hires themselves. If GH put this person in charge, then the responsibility for the employee's success or lack thereof goes to the person who hired him. More to the point, If this had been a one-time lack of success in that position, that'd be one thing - but EVERYone who takes a senior staff assignment at YEA seems to "fail" or bail not long after taking the job.  Think about that.

Without casting aspersions (because for all we know, this guy may have been dynamite, and simply tired of the mismanagement at the top), the YEA BOD has to realize that with their organization's reputation, they aren't going to get the best and brightest applying for gigs there. There are too many other youth performance organizations out there who have both the track records and the reputations for excellence in operations competing for the top talent, and YEA's reputation these days is awful.

The only gig that would really allow someone to make meaningful change there is the one that's occupied by the current CEO, and since their BOD has evidenced no interest in either kicking him up and out of day to day operations (or relieving him of duties), nothing is going to change. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I watched just enough. The point, is not whether they were for or against Hop, its the fact that they even had to do it in the first place. There are so many other things in this activity to focus on, why do we need to stir the pot, especially in this kind of forum. It does nothing but dumb down the activity and push people away. We just don't need the drama, there is no benefit to it. 

Maybe you should watch it again, they are Cadet 2 members planning on auditioning for Cadets. They defend some stuff, point out that it’s one-sided. Their conclusion is people need to be treated fairly and they need the facts and that not happening. They felt they needed to speak out about it as members of the Cadets family.

They are just trying to create Drum Corps media in the offseason, credit to them

I’m not a Hop fan but Hop is just being Hop, only thing different is the placement. The people that look dirty here are the ones jumping off the borg because of the scores, as if placements justified it and now it doesn’t. Ya, it’s about the kids

34 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

First of all, thank you for the clarification.

You state that you have first hand info regarding the USSBA director and his dealings/departure with GH. So were you involved directly in the situation or was the information told to you?

I know what first hand means. 

30 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

No one hires themselves. If GH put this person in charge, then the responsibility for the employee's success or lack thereof goes to the person who hired him. More to the point, If this had been a one-time lack of success in that position, that'd be one thing - but EVERYone who takes a senior staff assignment at YEA seems to "fail" or bail not long after taking the job.  Think about that.

Without casting aspersions (because for all we know, this guy may have been dynamite, and simply tired of the mismanagement at the top), the YEA BOD has to realize that with their organization's reputation, they aren't going to get the best and brightest applying for gigs there. There are too many other youth performance organizations out there who have both the track records and the reputations for excellence in operations competing for the top talent, and YEA's reputation these days is awful.

The only gig that would really allow someone to make meaningful change there is the one that's occupied by the current CEO, and since their BOD has evidenced no interest in either kicking him up and out of day to day operations (or relieving him of duties), nothing is going to change. 

With all due respect, the reason they're not getting the best and the brightest has nothing to do with reputation and everything to do with money. If you want to hire the best, you have to be able to pay them their worth. Thus the reason you get many inexperienced people in leadership positions within non-profits. YEA (and other orgs in our activity) are not rolling in cash. Turnover in these jobs is typical - long hours, low pay, always a recipe for employees keeping one foot out the door.

16 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Maybe you should watch it again, they are Cadet 2 members planning on auditioning for Cadets. They defend some stuff, point out that it’s one-sided. Their conclusion is people need to be treated fairly and they need the facts and that not happening. They felt they needed to speak out about it as members of the Cadets family.

They are just trying to create Drum Corps media in the offseason, credit to them

I’m not a Hop fan but Hop is just being Hop, only thing different is the placement. The people that look dirty here are the ones jumping off the borg because of the scores, as if placements justified it and now it doesn’t. Ya, it’s about the kids

Not to drag this out anymore than it needs to be, but I don't need to watch it again. They're taking business communication that was meant for the parties involved and sharing it on social media. I understand we live in a world that feeds on gossip (especially this site) but I won't be part of that. They have no inside knowledge or background to bring any sensible context to the conversation (being a member of Cadets2 does not give you inside knowledge of management operations and issues). But even more so, there is an ethical issue with all of this that could be dangerous for them, the organization and the activity. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

Not to drag this out anymore than it needs to be, but I don't need to watch it again. They're taking business communication that was meant for the parties involved and sharing it on social media. I understand we live in a world that feeds on gossip (especially this site) but I won't be part of that. They have no inside knowledge or background to bring any sensible context to the conversation (being a member of Cadets2 does not give you inside knowledge of management operations and issues). But even more so, there is an ethical issue with all of this that could be dangerous for them, the organization and the activity. 

It is already out there, all over reddit and they are trying to bring balance, perhaps put out the fire and they did ask Hop if he wanted to address it (they got no reply and said he may not have seen their email)

To wish it away, burry your head in the sand, might have worked when Cadets were placing better but now that the pitchforks are out

I agree, it could be dangerous for them if taken wrongly, or perhaps taken in the way you did and then condemned and mentioned again on social media, so what’s the ethical issue again?

Edited by cowtown

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

you don't read real good

i read quite well.I have for all 15 plus years of DCP's existence. I even read the stuff I don't like well.

21 hours ago, jonwoody said:

I have a bucket and mop for you and Cappybara when you are ready to go again.

i'm fine as is thank you very little. As someone who has given quite a few bucks to kids in marching both corps, I'm allowed per DCP rules to say a few things, and as I know several now former employees of the organization whose stories all spin a similar theme...and I'm going back to 2001 with that...yeah I'm good with what I say. I make a habit of posting information that's been verified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1