Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Oh like out bid BD? I'm guessing you know the answer to that question 

I hate to break this to you, but it's not only about cash.

Hopefully the design transitions will be as smooth as this, the energy as dynamic, and the response as enthusiastic when the '18 show hits the field with some typical Cadet legacy class.

https://youtu.be/y2horVdXz70

PS I know some will post about Skyriders, etc. I am hoping the discussion will stick to Cadets.

On 10/16/2017 at 10:02 AM, Jeff Ream said:

ok so then a question....why arent the Cadets doing more to keep that talent at home?

It's a fair question. I think it's because they largely have not had to for so many years. Clearly in the 80s and 90s they were able to attract many of the top people in the industry to come and design, arrange, and teach for them. Some were Cadets alumni, but many were not.  But when you can attract the best for such a long time, alumni or not, there was likely no real thought put into keeping their own at home.  Also consider that Cadets 2 is a relatively new operation. Maybe 5 years old now? 

At any rate (and this is not aimed at you, Jeff, but more in general), it's only in recent years that Cadets have had some real staff issues. Some were fired, some left. It happens.  Every corps I know (with the exception of one -- BD) has had periods of time in their history where staff change caused a drop off and the corps had to find the next great design and teaching team that could potentially put them back into competition at the level they expect. 

• Thanks 1

one can read many things in this. contradiction, yet trying to be optimistic. just found it weird the way it was worded and I guess quoted

• Like 1

Say what you will about the announcement, but I’m glad Shanefield is there to stay. 

I think his arrangement last year worked better for the Cadets than any of Bocooks’ arrangements for them since 2013 

I am excited to see people like Mark Whitlock (another Cadet alum) continue on the staff supplemented by a few folk whom I know on the professional level. While there is a heavy emphasis on trumpet techs, coincidently Dr. Shanefield's principal instrument, the low brass names have much depth and experience.

I find it interesting that as the Cavaliers highlight a Japanese audition, this brass staff also has international contacts and experience in addition to touching the musical scenes of across our nation. Now only if we had a better conduit to some of Canada's musicians especially those Jay Michalak (another alum) shepherds out in the Canadian plains and Rockies.

I look to the "success" of an improved mature sound whatever the charts might be. The scores will follow.

Edited by xandandl

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

Too lazy to check, but were most of these folks with the corps last season?

key returnees and a half dozen add ons, some who have taught Cadets under Bocook/Cipriani regime. Varied backgrounds on the newbies, but an emphasis on classical and trumpet techs.