Cadets 2018

some updates on Cadets from online information

1. 4 vocalist used in 2018 - they will not be a choir - but will move around the field and act as pop/jazz vocalist more so than the religious "choir" (static in the pit) approach of 2017

2. corps has several hundreds registered for the first (early) camp at MetLife stadium - with more registering daily -- corps is hosting a total of six audition camps, 3 November and 3 December

3. corps has about 25 brass line spots and about 12 guard spots and approximately 15-18 or so percussion spots; the corps overall has many more returning members than they did entering into 2017 - with brass line in particular being much more vet-laden and the guard having most "weapons" members returning

4. design team meetings begin Monday night and occur every-other week going forward

My take: I'm glad the corps is experiencing heavy returns and interest. I'm glad they are holding more camps and clearly going the "aggressive route" on recruitment. They need to build the overall experience and talent level of the corps in 2018. I not excited about the return of vocalists - frankly I don't enjoy them in most instances in this activity (nor do most fans IMHO) - but last year given the material it "made sense" - and except where they got carried away from a design element the "choir" did add to the program. However - I'm not sure why the insistence to stick with vocalist in 2018. 

Anyway - for those looking for some information on 2018 Cadets - there ya go. Expect some big audition #s and an older, more experienced 2018 corps. And yes - vocalists will play a role, albeit a rather different one than in "Mass" - design team and instructional team remains largely intact - however "concept" team has been reinforced as well as some new and additional techs

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

1. 4 vocalist used in 2018 - they will not be a choir - but will move around the field and act as pop/jazz vocalist more so than the religious "choir" (static in the pit) approach of 2017

2. corps has several hundreds registered for the first (early) camp at MetLife stadium - with more registering daily -- corps is hosting a total of six audition camps, 3 November and 3 December

3. corps has about 25 brass line spots and about 12 guard spots and approximately 15-18 or so percussion spots; the corps overall has many more returning members than they did entering into 2017 - with brass line in particular being much more vet-laden and the guard having most "weapons" members returning

4. design team meetings begin Monday night and occur every-other week going forward

My take: I'm glad the corps is experiencing heavy returns and interest. I'm glad they are holding more camps and clearly going the "aggressive route" on recruitment. They need to build the overall experience and talent level of the corps in 2018. I not excited about the return of vocalists - frankly I don't enjoy them in most instances in this activity (nor do most fans IMHO) - but last year given the material it "made sense" - and except where they got carried away from a design element the "choir" did add to the program. However - I'm not sure why the insistence to stick with vocalist in 2018. 

Anyway - for those looking for some information on 2018 Cadets - there ya go. Expect some big audition #s and an older, more experienced 2018 corps. And yes - vocalists will play a role, albeit a rather different one than in "Mass" - design team and instructional team remains largely intact - however "concept" team has been reinforced as well as some new and additional techs

Great summary, George, of what the other George said while the nation watched the World Series, counted its Halloween candy, and reflected on the events in NYC's tragedy yesterday afternoon.

Remembering the 8 of Cadets' 2017 vocal ensemble gave me a poignant image of the 8 lives lost yesterday. I remembered the several times the Cadets' buses drove down those same streets and walk ways, especially for boarding the boat to the Statue of Liberty re-dedication. Peace to all effected yesterday; hope to all trying out for auditions for 2018.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Hmmm...those type of vocalists would certainly fit both WSS and "Candide", not so much "Chichester Psalms", to keep things "Bernstein".

• Like 2

Trouble in Tahiti, anyone????? 

May be a stretch, but I think this opera could work well, and if they tried to produce a drum corps version that was very true to the kind of "small stage" format, using the corps as the "scenery" and connective tissue for the singers, this could be used for an amazing and innovative production!

Also, I could totally imagine the 90s Cadets playing some of the stuff from the score like this transition material (https://youtu.be/L1HoB7XbEOY?t=7m58s).

3 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Trouble in Tahiti, anyone????? 

May be a stretch, but I think this opera could work well, and if they tried to produce a drum corps version that was very true to the kind of "small stage" format, using the corps as the "scenery" and connective tissue for the singers, this could be used for an amazing and innovative production!

Also, I could totally imagine the 90s Cadets playing some of the stuff from the score like this transition material (https://youtu.be/L1HoB7XbEOY?t=7m58s).

Well, I would never call Allentown "Tahiti." :lle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThlbtcXLag

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 1:24 PM, MikeD said:

Hmmm...those type of vocalists would certainly fit both WSS and "Candide", not so much "Chichester Psalms", to keep things "Bernstein".

On that topic, are we to assume from this info they have arrived at a show theme and general design concept? 

On 11/1/2017 at 3:24 PM, MikeD said:

Hmm...if it's three men and one woman, it's probably "On the Town," then...

Presumably WSS would "cast" Tony, Maria, Anita, and...Bernardo, presumably? Or different singers taking on different roles at different points in the show.