Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Curious:  was your student a high school band member?  would that have been the primary age group attending these auditions? 

In my case he is a HS student, actually only a 10th grader. No idea how many in attendance were HS level. I know they provided a bunch of information for kids performing at USBands Nats about the auditions. The camp was also for C2, which has a lot of HS kids as members, so my guess is they wanted both HS and college-aged potential members to try out.

The next NJ camp showing on the YEA website, on 11/25-26 at Delran HS, says HS students only, fyi.... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Whatever Mike's student's age, consider this:

A number of Cadets vets were given telephone waivers due to conflicting college band schedules (mandatory for degree requirements) and high school band championships in NJ and elsewhere in the U.S. These vets will audition in person as noted below. MetLife auditions were both for Cadets and C2. C2 is primarily comprised of h.s. kids.

Cadets will continue with auditions next weekend in Texas and again in December. Total of 6 auditions for Cadets.

C2 will also hold auditions at Delran H.S. Thanksgiving weekend. 

Corps lines for both corps set by January. Who comprises which line would be better answered then.

24 or 25 tryouts for the tuba line spots - that's the online specific line I heard a count from

as you already posted - most vets returning from 2017

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thirdcoast said:

Does anybody remember what happened the day and night of the 1989 DCI World Championship? 

sure do... it was like night and day.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, thirdcoast said:

Does anybody remember what happened the day and night of the 1989 DCI World Championship? 

I’m guessing you’re talking about Hoppy throwing a fit to steal the traditional, honor of the previous years’ champion going on last at finals? He took that from Madison and all drum corps fans so his 5th place corps wouldn’t get knocked off the TV broadcast.  I found it odious and rather telling

#timetoretirehoppy

21 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I’m guessing you’re talking about Hoppy throwing a fit to steal the traditional, honor of the previous years’ champion going on last at finals? He took that from Madison and all drum corps fans so his 5th place corps wouldn’t get knocked off the TV broadcast.  I found it odious and rather telling

#timetoretirehoppy

I didn't know that rule/tradition was still in place by then. I thought it went away sometime in the 1970s.  I know it was gone on the DCA side by 1976.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

Was that at Finals or Prelims?  Cadets and BD went on near the front of the live show for Finals in 1989 - that was the first show I ever saw on TV. 

Mike

It was finals, which I attended so didn’t catch the ‘live’ show.  At the time the Live show featured the last 5 corps’ full show performance.  Cadets were in 5th so they would not have made the cut if Madison went last, Blue Devils were in fourth, so they kicked it off. The tradition of previous years’ champion going on last at finals was ended that night because Hoppy was a disrespectful, selfish brat. Somethings never change