Cadets 2018

4 minutes ago, cowtown said:

It was finals, which I attended so didn’t catch the ‘live’ show.  At the time the Live show featured the last 5 corps’ full show performance.  Cadets were in 5th so they would not have made the cut if Madison went last, Blue Devils were in fourth, so they kicked it off. The tradition of previous years’ champion going on last at finals was ended that night because Hoppy was a disrespectful, selfish brat. Somethings never change 

Ah, gotcha.  Thought you meant Cadets went on last.  Don't mind me...

Mike

7 minutes ago, cowtown said:

It was finals, which I attended so didn’t catch the ‘live’ show.  At the time the Live show featured the last 5 corps’ full show performance.  Cadets were in 5th so they would not have made the cut if Madison went last, Blue Devils were in fourth, so they kicked it off. The tradition of previous years’ champion going on last at finals was ended that night because Hoppy was a disrespectful, selfish brat. Somethings never change 

Really?  I mean, I have no information to refute this, but how could GH get the performance order changed via a simple temper tantrum?  Wouldn't Scott Stewart have intervened?  Or did Scott agree to not go on last?  If that were the case  you couldn't blame it solely on GH. 

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Really?  I mean, I have no information to refute this, but how could GH get the performance order changed via a simple temper tantrum?  Wouldn't Scott Stewart have intervened?  Or did Scott agree to not go on last?  If that were the case  you couldn't blame it solely on GH. 

probably ultimately Tom Blair's decision.

20 years seems a lot of time to carry and nurture the emotional baggage of the felt slight. So many more constructive ways those same energies could have been used rather than prolonged anxieties. Sounds like little girls sulking because Santa didn't bring them a pony down the chimney.

Edited by xandandl

49 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I didn’t see it personally but I recall the tale being that it did come down to a yelling match between the two of them, search this site, there may be a first hand account of it.

I believe I can shed a little light here. I just got off the phone

with Scott Stewart. I talk to him about once every 3-4 weeks.

I asked him about what happened in 89 because I do remember

staff addressing us on the day of Semis about the TV situation.

Here's what Scott told me. After Quarters, the DCI

directors had a quick meeting - Scott was there. The other top 5 directors told him that they

didn't feel like Madison was good enough for TV coverage and it wouldn't be

fair for a top 5 corps (like Cadets) to get dropped off of the telecast to have Madison

perform last as defending champ. So they voted to have us dropped from the coverage at the

last minute. This is from the man himself.

the way back machine

46 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I believe I can shed a little light here. I just got off the phone

with Scott Stewart. I talk to him about once every 3-4 weeks.

I asked him about what happened in 89 because I do remember

staff addressing us on the day of Semis about the TV situation.

Here's what Scott told me. After Quarters, the DCI

directors had a quick meeting - Scott was there. The other top 5 directors told him that they

didn't feel like Madison was good enough for TV coverage and it wouldn't be

fair for a top 5 corps (like Cadets) to get dropped off of the telecast to have Madison

perform last as defending champ. So they voted to have us dropped from the coverage at the

last minute. This is from the man himself.

the way back machine

So, apparently even in the 80’s, the administrations of The Cadets, The Blue Devils, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cavaliers, and Phantom Regiment had already developed, what was to come to a head 20 some-odd years later, the 'G7' mentality.  And if they held that mentality 20 years prior to the infamous proposal, what makes anyone think the current administrations have changed their deep held beliefs just a few years after the leak of the proposal?

Edited by Stu

Wow.  How petty. Old Ming The Merciless must have been bitter the Scouts beat him in '88. For that matter, '75 too. 

4 hours ago, cowtown said:

The tradition of previous years’ champion going on last at finals was ended that night because Hoppy was a disrespectful, selfish brat. Somethings never change 

While 1989 was the final nail, the tradition was technically ended in 1988, when the order was determined by a random draw.  By luck (and coincidence), GH drew the last position for finals allowing the defending champion Garfield Cadets to perform last.  The broadcast for 1990 is what really should have burned Madison.  Six corps' full performances were squeezed into the broadcast to include Santa Clara, the 6th place ranked defending champion.

6 hours ago, cowtown said:

I’m guessing you’re talking about Hoppy throwing a fit to steal the traditional, honor of the previous years’ champion going on last at finals? He took that from Madison and all drum corps fans so his 5th place corps wouldn’t get knocked off the TV broadcast.  I found it odious and rather telling

#timetoretirehoppy

I feel differently about this. I am not aware of the argument that took place other than what I have read, but to me I never cared for the defending champ going on last. I would hardly call it a time honored tradition -- it was just a tradition that ultimately meant nothing, at least in my eyes.  Eventually that tradition was going to unravel when PBS began to change their program coverage of Finals, some years only showing the top 5, maybe top 6 corps.  Once that happened I absolutely feel that the top 5 or 6 in that order should get on TV. If this was the case in 1989 with PBS only showing the top 5, then I have no problem with the other 5 directors voting against Madison and telling them to go on in order of placement.  That tradition was bound to change, and because some people cling to traditions there is no doubt it was going to cause an argument.  It happens, but I don't think there was anything evil or childish about it. Perhaps it was just time to fight that rule and work toward something better and more fair. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

Did Cadets go on last  in 1986?

I didn't see that show, so I have no idea.