Cadets 2018

3 hours ago, cowtown said:

I didn’t see it personally but I recall the tale being that it did come down to a yelling match between the two of them, search this site, there may be a first hand account of it.

Not according to the thread you posted. No mention of that, and in fact, it seems like the other directors voted together on the change. 

24 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

to my era!), I feel differently about this. I am not aware of the argument that took place other than what I have read, but to me I never cared for the defending champ going on last. I would hardly call it a time honored tradition -- it was just a tradition that ultimately meant nothing, at least in my eyes.  Eventually that tradition was going to unravel when PBS began to change their program coverage of Finals, some years only showing the top 5, maybe top 6 corps.  Once that happened I absolutely feel that the top 5 or 6 in that order should get on TV. If this was the case in 1989 with PBS only showing the top 5, then I have no problem with the other 5 directors voting against Madison and telling them to go on in order of placement.  That tradition was bound to change, and because some people cling to traditions there is no doubt it was going to cause an argument.  It happens, but I don't think there was anything evil or childish about it. Perhaps it was just time to fight that rule and work toward something better and more fair. 

Going waaaay back (to my era!) at the World Open the prior year champ did not even compete in prelims. In 71 the Troopers went straight to finals, and only the top 11 prelim corps made it to finals. 12th place Blessed Sacrament was therefore left out (they had been 2nd in 1970, their last great year).

• Like 1

I think the decision should be about what is best for DCI.  And what would have been best for DCI, to me, would be for the world to see the five best corps at the time, as determined by the most recent scoring.  Showing a non top 5 corps with the others would have been confusing to a TV audience, would have had to have been explained, and would not have shown the scouts In the best light anyway.  It sounds like they did the right thing.

Playing at least a brief excerpt of the winning 1988 show though, especially that amazingly intense ending, would have been awesome.

• Like 1

On topic... ;-)

Is the rumor on the other thread true about no Bernstein in 2018? 

They are doing a La La Land show, and going to California haha...

You laugh, but.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cadet93 said:

They are doing a La La Land show, and going to California haha...

You laugh, but.....

10 hours ago, IntercalaryTurtle said:

La La Land is one of my all time favorite movies, so...

They already did Fa La La in 2012.:whistle:

• Haha 1