Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, xandandl said:
  1. Cadets camp this weekend will be auditioning for one snare spot remaining and several lead trumpets.
  2. GH's latest communication has the line set as 3 DMs, 4 vocalists, 76 horns, 36 guard, and 35 percussion.
  3. Aggressive push to fill remaining spots has upset the reddit rowdies especially those who like to wear blue.
  4. Son of Cadets past DM Chris Buck (89-90) now named assistant DM for Crown where Dad is on BoD and son has been a People''s Pit vet for a few years,
  5. Will Cadets need additional passports and visas now that "New California" has seceded as of yesterday from California? Tour includes both. Mudslides and fires were bad enough.

yes, but do they get passes to the not yet up and running Galaxy's Edge?

interesting offseason by the Cadets - very quiet

1 snare spot (may be filled?), 1 synth player and a couple lead sops needed to 100% fill out the 2018 corps - according to the latest reports; all other brass spots full, marching 76 brass for 2018. The lift to 154 max membership allowed the corps to add a few more members and set the brass line at 76 as desired

using a couple cover versions of "Sounds of Silence" wrapping a more modern/contemporary symphonic music program is an interesting choice by the Cadets

Will be interesting to see the influence of the new design director Shane Gwaltney

The use of 4 vocalists moving about the field as soloists is a big question mark - not usually a "popular" choice with the fans (see Crown 2017)

Rumor has the program opening with this quieter, softer cover and closing with the above - wrapping around an aggressive "Cadets' sounding" middle portion of the program including some very percussive moments

West Coast tour for the Cadets this summer, so they will benefit from full panels all season plus direct head-to-head competition early on with 2017's top two corps. After ST in PA & OH (same sights as last several years) Cadets will debut in California and work their way up and down the coast and then towards Denver (DATR)

How Shane approaches the program (in comparison to his very successful indoor/winter programs) is what could prove most interesting

Edited by George Dixon
clarity

I... am not excited if "Sound of Silence" is the direction they are going this year.

Following the Disturbed cover, it felt like EVERYBODY did a version in their show at some point, from high school groups to college bands and even a few drum corps. The Cadets doing it now feels like hopping on the bandwagon waaaaaaaaaay after it took off, to the point where its momentum is slowing down quickly.

Unless the versions and the concepts they put out this summer are both 1) powerfully effective and 2) UNIQUE, this has the potential to be underwhelming. 

Or worse, boring.

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I... am not excited if "Sound of Silence" is the direction they are going this year.

Following the Disturbed cover, it felt like EVERYBODY did a version in their show at some point, from high school groups to college bands and even a few drum corps. The Cadets doing it now feels like hopping on the bandwagon waaaaaaaaaay after it took off, to the point where its momentum is slowing down quickly.

Unless the versions and the concepts they put out this summer are both 1) powerfully effective and 2) UNIQUE, this has the potential to be underwhelming. 

Or worse, boring.

It's official. The Cadets 2018 thread is back on track. Let the manipulations, rationalizations and prevarications begin again.

(no disrespect for MotoSurfBass intended)

HH

3 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Or worse, boring.

3 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Or worse, boring.

i think there's some very cool directions they could go with it. 

• Like 1

So soon after Mandarins 2017 and others (i recall ancient Reading Buccaneers, perhaps Troopers? Avon H.S.?...)

Even with different design team members, this smacks of the same rut off year Bocook would do with the Cadets trying to be SCV retreads, never as impressive as the originals (with the exception of Cadets 1987) although the Brass-geekdom might get excited as arrangers compete against each other. GH would always say, well this generation hasn't played it yet. But the audience would go, Ho hum. (cf. Cadets 2010.) The audience however has elephant memories and wants to be aroused and awed not counting brass exercises.

I've also heard from on site sources that SOS (ironic isn't that) is but a cover story to keep the DCP and DCA neigh-saying folk busy in the off season less their negative skill set gets rusty. This thread is meeting that challenge. 

Edited by xandandl

As always, we'll know for sure when this show hits the field.

Does sound interesting to me, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I've also heard from on site sources that SOS (ironic isn't that) is but a cover story to keep the DCP and DCA neigh-saying folk busy in the off season less their negative skill set gets rusty.

I haven't heard from the neigh-saying folk since Crown 2007.