Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I've also heard from on site sources that SOS (ironic isn't that) is but a cover story to keep the DCP and DCA neigh-saying folk busy in the off season less their negative skill set gets rusty. This thread is meeting that challenge. 

I was thinking the same thing...Sound of Silence ruse as opposed to the Cone of SIlence we usually get from Hopalong Brassidy.

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

They're going to have to work overtime to get me hyped for SoS.  Heard it waaaaay too many times this year during band season.

Mike

i smell a deaf composer theme maybe. Daniel Boone here in PA did a version oh maybe 9/10 years ago.....didnt use SOS but the concept was soooo well done

I could see this being a BIG brass moment.....if Bocook was arranging it. However, since I don't know who half the people are on Cadets' staff nowadays, I only have last year as a comparison and I think it'll be boring. 

Prove me wrong Cadets. PLEASE win this fan back Cadets. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i smell a deaf composer theme maybe. Daniel Boone here in PA did a version oh maybe 9/10 years ago.....didnt use SOS but the concept was soooo well done

Bastrop did that down here last year, along with the obligatory fade out at the end.  Almost made state too.  That should be on the UIL Bingo Card that apparently gets passed out every year.  (Along with Medea.  Looking right at you, Claudia Taylor Johnson...  >:(  )

Mike

(edit - speaking of Medea, I listened to the Cadets Barber show for the first time in a good long while.  It's not a bad show, and the brass are totally en fuego by the end, but the breathing they piped in over the Dance of Vengeance closer totally kills it.  Grrrr...)

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Vandegrift High School (TX) did a Beethoven-themed show this past fall and used SoS as the ballad. Great show that placed 3rd at the BOA San Antonio Super Regional.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I could see this being a BIG brass moment.....if Bocook was arranging it. However, since I don't know who have the people are on Cadets' staff nowadays, I only have last year as a comparison and I think it'll be boring. 

Prove me wrong Cadets. PLEASE win this fan back Cadets. 

I believe that Drew Shanefield will be arranging The Cadets' music again this year.

Interesting to hear GH publicly acknowledge that Crown, Bloo, and Cadets have been passing along recommendations to the other two for musicians cut from one in order to get an open spot at another. Both Bloo and Cadets advertised today for lead trumpets, Cadets for synth and a couple of new bari  spots as well. January camps always seem to bring holes when some folks have to face bad weather travel for their first time and others have to face the reality of tour fees and empty wallets no matter what the corps. Good luck to all travelling this weekend to camp.