Cadets 2018

On 1/17/2018 at 1:56 PM, xandandl said:

I've also heard from on site sources that SOS (ironic isn't that) is but a cover story to keep the DCP and DCA neigh-saying folk busy in the off season less their negative skill set gets rusty. This thread is meeting that challenge. 

I'm hoping this was meant as a joke.

The thought of Hopkins and the Cadets' staff engaged in some sort of deep-state, false-flag attempt at throwing DCPers off the scent of a drum corps show is ridiculous, even by GH's standards.

22 hours ago, skevinp said:

I can see that you smell a composer who can't hear.  Not sure if it would be to my taste but I might be touched by such a show.

the show i saw moved me. more so than Glassmens version

18 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

The irony of people getting cut from Crown and Bluecoats getting a recommendation to go to Cadets. I remember when it was the other way around when I marched. Shows you just how much better those two corps have gotten over the years. 

George Hopkins has been quoted in the past saying those who do not feel at home in their current corps are welcome at Cadets. Last year it was believed to be a poke at Boston Crusaders,this year it's those who wear blue, perhaps Bluecoats specifically, but it could also be Blue Knights and Blue Devils, maybe Blue Stars. He's offering breaks in fees, and this causes some concern, but the reality is changing. As little as ten years ago, top talent went to BD, Cavies, Cadets, and perhaps Phantom. Then Crown nudged up a few spots, as did Bloo, and SCV began to reemerge. Cavies fell and then moved up again, Blue Knights have caused some waves, and Boston Crusaders are only beginning to show their potential. Recruiting has to be more competitive and getting top talent more difficult. 

Regarding recommendations, before we ask Mr. Hopkins, Mr. Coates, and Mr. Glasgow to hold hands and lead us in "Kumbaya," are they recommending their top talent to go to other corps? Probably not, and are they recommending those who do not make the cut,  or simply suggesting?

Edited by Tim K

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

George Hopkins has been quoted in the past saying those who do not feel at home in their current corps are welcome at Cadets. Last year it was believed to be a poke at Boston Crusaders,this year it's those who wear blue, perhaps Bluecoats specifically, but it could also be Blue Knights and Blue Devils, maybe Blue Stars. He's offering breaks in fees, and this causes some concern, but the reality is changing. As little as ten years ago, top talent went to BD, Cavies, Cadets, and perhaps Phantom. Then Crown nudged up a few spots, as did Bloo, and SCV began to reemerge. Cavies fell and then moved up again, Blue Knights have caused some waves, and Boston Crusaders are only beginning to show their potential. Recruiting has to be more competitive and getting top talent more difficult. 

Regarding recommendations, before we ask Mr. Hopkins, Mr. Coates, and Mr. Glasgow to hold hands and lead us in "Kumbaya," are they recommending their top talent to go to other corps? Probably not, and are they recommending those who do not make the cut,  or simply suggesting?

The admins and faculty of these corps are recommending the other two who have openings.

For years, Cadets gave various recommendations to those not making the Cadets line to try certain nearby corps if openings were available or if the auditionee's talent levels in visual or music would benefit from other programs. For years Jersey Surf, 7th Regiment, Crossmen before they moved, etc. benefited. Sometimes it was saying to a very young h.s. student that the age cohort of these corps might be more appropriate for someone without previous tour experience. Sometimes it was beneficial to the mm on various levels based on experience or talent. The major league sports sometimes drop a member to the minor league specifically for the bench warmer to get more playing time or to round out a skill. No different here although Bloo, Crown, and Cadets are not ascribing anyone as major or minor. I'm sure these three are not the only corps in the equation. Discounting fees for others who have already opened their wallets for other auditions is an attempt to keep the mm in the activity and not having to sit out a summer because the person is bankrupt jet setting from one corps to another.

If your liturgical music is stuck at Kumbaya, I suggest you try another hymnal.

Most corps directors do have a good relationship with other corps directors and do help each other out on projects and advice more than their fans might. Confer the recent rules congress videos for examples. Often the individual faculty members of competing corps are actually colleagues and peers for marching bands, judging circuits, and winter programs. DCI competition is not always contentious. 

On 1/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, MikeN said:

They're going to have to work overtime to get me hyped for SoS.  Heard it waaaaay too many times this year during band season.

Mike

My thoughts exactly.

And believe me, as a guy who was a strong Cadets apologist last year, I really want something good from them. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Most corps directors do have a good relationship with other corps directors and do help each other out on projects and advice more than their fans might. Confer the recent rules congress videos for examples. Often the individual faculty members of competing corps are actually colleagues and peers for marching bands, judging circuits, and winter programs. DCI competition is not always contentious. 

I'm sure what you say is pretty accurate. From what I see, DCI functions relatively well, and has survived some serious battles that would have torn apart other organizations. There can be times when there are behind the scenes battles with directors one year and the next year, all is forgiven, and a good deal gets exaggerated when fans get involved. That being said, my comment was a response to someone who was upset that Bluecoats and Crown were referring kids to Cadets rather than the other way around, my point is that recruiting itself has changed as corps have become more competitive.

from current Cadet website (emphasis is my own and may lead to discussion.)

Brass

We are looking for a few additional lead trumpet players. Our ideal member will have great range, stamina, and look great in maroon & gold. We're also looking for a few more baritone players with great range and a full sound. Experience playing tenor trombone in a college jazz band is a plus when auditioning. 

Color Guard

The Cadets Color Guard is looking for more men in 2018! With a lineage of members including Johnathan Schwartz, Sam Watson, Jim Moore, Eric Babula, Daniel Riley, Greg Lagola, Dean Broadbent, Martin Hughes, Bert Cousins and so many more* you're signing yourself up to be a great part of Cadets tradition. Additionally, we're looking to add nine more weapons for the line (just wait until you see what we have planned!)

Phantom and others adding fellows to the guard again may have widened the opportunities.

Also add Andy Toth, Adam Sage, Keith Potter, David Mieckle, ..no, not Rick Subel (he played baritone with Cadets before guys marched in guard.)

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Given the winter weather we've had this year (even Houston, the South, and the East having multiple school-closing ice and snow storms) who would have thunk that this picture was posted today from a January Cadets' camp in Joisey where the temps hit 60?

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, standing, playing a musical instrument and outdoor