Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

I was gonna post that people are going to compare them to Crown 09 but then I realized that was 9 years ago and I am old

2009.  "Old."   LOL

• Haha 1

As more corps move away from the use of voice (Crown being the latest), the Cadets continue to push forward with this mostly failed experiment. I attended Cadets ensemble rehearsal this past Sunday. Their music can easily stand on its own...no voice is needed. Can you hear me Mr. Hopkins? The Cadets are headed in a real good direction right now...please don't screw it up again Mr. Hopkins!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dans said:

As more corps move away from the use of voice (Crown being the latest), the Cadets continue to push forward with this mostly failed experiment. I attended Cadets ensemble rehearsal this past Sunday. Their music can easily stand on its own...no voice is needed. Can you hear me Mr. Hopkins? The Cadets are headed in a real good direction right now...please don't screw it up again Mr. Hopkins!

Are more corps moving away from the use of voice?  Is there a recent poll providing that confirmation?  IMO voice will continue to be used as it is applicable to a show's design I would hazard to guess.  Voice, as is electronics,  is improving and can be an asset to a show/  I believe there were two excellent examples of that last year.  Was is Oregon and Boston?   From what little I've read here, it appears that Cadets are doing their voice integration differently than last year, and it would seem it is to be appropriate to this years show design.

• Like 1

Interesting that they are moving back to using baritones only. No euphoniums this year according to that update 

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Are more corps moving away from the use of voice?  Is there a recent poll providing that confirmation?  IMO voice will continue to be used as it is applicable to a show's design I would hazard to guess.  Voice, as is electronics,  is improving and can be an asset to a show/  I believe there were two excellent examples of that last year.  Was is Oregon and Boston?   From what little I've read here, it appears that Cadets are doing their voice integration differently than last year, and it would seem it is to be appropriate to this years show design.

Do you need a poll?  You can pretty much observe who is using voice all by yourself. Also your comment that voice is improving would make a good question for discussion/ debate. 

• Like 1

Yes, some are crusading voice, others see it as a fad, a trend that has come and gone more than once in DCI (e.g. Cadets' Amen, Bloo's The Boxer, Boston's RED, and at times Cavies and Mad Scouts.) 

Edited by xandandl

6 hours ago, dans said:

I wouldn't consider it a failed experiment.  While there were moments in Cadets '17 where the vocalists were unwelcome, there were plenty of moments where they got it right.  I'm expecting Cadets to have more freedom of design this year and to have a fantastic show. 

What both Cadets and Boston did well was to pair good singers with good brass lines.  Crown got it wrong by pairing a good singer with an astonishing brass line.  With brass that good, it required a singer at the level of Adele or Carrie Underwood.  Anything less felt like an insult to that horn line and left the audience feeling deprived.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Do you need a poll?  You can pretty much observe who is using voice all by yourself. Also your comment that voice is improving would make a good question for discussion/ debate. 

Well there was a statement about "more corps" using voice less, that was not stated as opinion but insinuating fact.  I see generalized statements used in an attempt to persuade readers that whatever point that is trying to be made, is true or accurate when there is no real basis to make that claim.  There may be a sense there is less voice but if the claim is based on seeing only a very limited number of shows using voice (maybe looking at only the top 12, 17, 20) it isn't valid.  Characterizing Cadets voice use last year as a failed experiment is not how they might see it;  since they are using voice again this year.

My point was that maybe there is less, maybe not, and the use each year may depend on previous success and appropriateness of the upcoming production.  So do I need a poll?  No but I may have a different conclusion than the poster.  I agree a discussion about voice improving could be interesting with discussion about voice quality, voice writing, voice production with a corps electronics,  There was a belief put out that Boston used a taped reproduction for the singer.  It wasn't true but a bend was used with a fade for a designed effect.

Personally, I wouldn't like a lot of singing in every show, but in small doses and of good quality, I can live with it.

• Like 1