Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Interesting that they are moving back to using baritones only. No euphoniums this year according to that update 

in the brass count, Cadets do not make euphs a sub-section. They are included in the 24.

59 minutes ago, xandandl said:

in the brass count, Cadets do not make euphs a sub-section. They are included in the 24.

Oh ok, thanks. I thought I remember them saying the numbers for both last year. But maybe it was Hop on FB and not an official statement. Regardless, glad they are continuing with euphs 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Do you need a poll?  You can pretty much observe who is using voice all by yourself. Also your comment that voice is improving would make a good question for discussion/ debate. 

the trend comes and goes, and little of what fans says online or on DCP factor into decision choices.maybe fewer choices this year, maybe more next. it has waves.

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

I wouldn't consider it a failed experiment.  While there were moments in Cadets '17 where the vocalists were unwelcome, there were plenty of moments where they got it right.  I'm expecting Cadets to have more freedom of design this year and to have a fantastic show. 

What both Cadets and Boston did well was to pair good singers with good brass lines.  Crown got it wrong by pairing a good singer with an astonishing brass line.  With brass that good, it required a singer at the level of Adele or Carrie Underwood.  Anything less felt like an insult to that horn line and left the audience feeling deprived.  

i think the Crown issue was less of quality in performance and more in design. After the ballad it never really flowed, and especially for those not up on following source material and going super deep into show descriptions and thematics, it came across flat

• Like 3

My personal summary on voice is that vocals, whether spoken or sung, haven't ever achieved the typically high quality of the brass and percussion performance. Therefore I always find myself irritated at vocals because I want to hear the brass and percussion. Just one dude's opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i think the Crown issue was less of quality in performance and more in design. After the ballad it never really flowed, and especially for those not up on following source material and going super deep into show descriptions and thematics, it came across flat

Agreed.  The latter part of the show’s design was a miss, for more than one reason. For me, relegating that brass line to backup felt criminal. It took all season for it to (barely) work. 

Ah yes, now back to Cadets.

2 low brass holes yet to be filled. Outstanding musicians wanted.

2 front ensemble holes still open.  Of course, if you are amazing.

Some lead trumpets ready to challenge for spots. (All trumpets already think they are amazing .)

Edited by xandandl

Only show leaks statements from Cadets interview with Drew Shanefield last night on Cadets FB, zoom, etc.:

1. hornline is over 50 per cent returning vets as of January camp. Rookie talent is up and book is advanced from last season. (I have known Drew since he came to the corps as a rookie in 88; his voice was relaxed and upbeat when he mentioned he was very pleased with progress this camp when he worked with the line, especially the trumpets of which he is an alum.)

2.  Drew and George only reaffirmed in their comments the positive and extremely pleased remarks about the percussion section Aungst and Omar have gathered building on returning vets.

3. Costuming different for each year's show seems to be the trend.

4.  Both Hopkins and Drew had interesting comments about electronics.  Drew doesn't seem in favor of micing hornlines. He pledged for the corps sound that any electronics (especially percussion) would be fewer decibels but more smartly used. Hopkins was quite frank about the failed attempts and inexperience. His pledge was that people could again sit in the first ten rows of any stadium.

• Like 3