Cadets 2018

On 1/23/2018 at 2:27 PM, Ediker said:

I wouldn't consider it a failed experiment.  While there were moments in Cadets '17 where the vocalists were unwelcome, there were plenty of moments where they got it right.  I'm expecting Cadets to have more freedom of design this year and to have a fantastic show. 

What both Cadets and Boston did well was to pair good singers with good brass lines.  Crown got it wrong by pairing a good singer with an astonishing brass line.  With brass that good, it required a singer at the level of Adele or Carrie Underwood.  Anything less felt like an insult to that horn line and left the audience feeling deprived.  

Wow, this is the best description of my impression as I've seen anywhere.  Crown's vocalist was certainly talented, but that horn line.  Ediker's description was really stark to me, like when their battery was so overmatched by the Harloff-Horns.

• Like 3

I wouldn't consider it a failed experiment.  While there were moments in Cadets '17 where the vocalists were unwelcome, there were plenty of moments where they got it right.  I'm expecting Cadets to have more freedom of design this year and to have a fantastic show. 

What both Cadets and Boston did well was to pair good singers with good brass lines.  Crown got it wrong by pairing a good singer with an astonishing brass line.  With brass that good, it required a singer at the level of Adele or Carrie Underwood.  Anything less felt like an insult to that horn line and left the audience feeling deprived.  

I always enjoy Crown's shows, including last year's show. I do not question their talent, but I think believing that only a top recording star could perform with Crown is a bit of an exaggeration. if anything, many in the the audience believed Crown's vocalist was Broadway bound. I think losing so many guard members along with a show that relied too much on amplification were the culprits.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'll bring the thread back to the Cadets by appending my previous statement that Cadets have over 50 per cent vets in the 2018 hornline by adding that last year there were a very large number of age-outs and rook-outs August 2017. (how another corps used vocalists should be discussed on that corps'' thread.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

I always enjoy Crown's shows, and always enjoy their shows. I do not question their talent, but I think believing that only a top recording star could perform with Crown is a bit of an exaggeration. if anything, many in the the audience believed Crown's vocalist was Broadway bound. I think losing so many guard members along with a show that relied too much on amplification were the culprits.

All things considered, the fact that Crown finished third at Finals despite the complete and wholesale botching of their solos by their prominent soloist in the show was the most " astonishing " thing to me on Finals Night. it would seem to be that it would be ( or should be ) irrelevant to the judges as to the " the why " the solos were completely botched by the Corps soloist(s) in judged competition. Thats not their calling... or it shouldn't  be, imo. The judges are called upon to judge " what is ", not " what it could have been or should have been ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I'll bring the thread back to the Cadets by appending my previous statement that Cadets have over 50 per cent vets in the 2018 hornline by adding that last year there were a very large number of age-outs and rook-outs August 2017. (how another corps used vocalists should be discussed on that corps'' thread.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Wow, this is the best description of my impression as I've seen anywhere.  Crown's vocalist was certainly talented, but that horn line.  Ediker's description was really stark to me, like when their battery was so overmatched by the Harloff-Horns.

X wants the Cadets topic discussion back to the Cadets... and it seems a valid request.

• Like 2

I thought the singer for Crown had an excellent voice and sang a beautiful song.  My criticism (with the caveat that this is all subjective) is that they should have done what Crusaders did, and confine the voice to the ballad.  When the ballad ended and she kept singing, I thought the vocals conflicted with the brass.  I also agree with the statement that with more freedom, they can mix the voice in better.  The restrictions imposed by the mass and the latin made the voices sound harsh at times simply (at least to me) because of the words and notes rather than the quality of the vocalists.

• Like 1

One more thing about voice.  In "Tilt", the Bluecoats' ballad was the Hymn of Axciom, beautifully done.  Two years later, South Brunswick High School used the same ballad, but put it to vocals.  The result was equally beautiful, and they won the state championship.  Yes it's two different levels of performance between drum corps and marching band, but the arrangement itself was excellent in both cases.  So I think it all comes back to what the corps has to work with in terms of music, and if Drew does a good job everyone will be (literally) singing his praises with or without vocals.

As if discussion of vocals somehow doesn't have anything to do with Cadets.  Funny.

• Like 1