Cadets 2018

25 minutes ago, garfield said:

My understanding is that all DCP members are entitled to a refund of their membership fee should they be disappointed with the way the moderators do their job.

You can probably find the refund form in the Admin page of the site.

"I demand my lack of money back!!!"  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

My understanding is that all DCP members are entitled to a refund of their membership fee should they be disappointed with the way the moderators do their job.

You can probably find the refund form in the Admin page of the site.

As I said, it's really not a big deal. I do appreciate your sense of humor though!

6 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Honestly, it's not surprising to hear there is a high percentage of vets in this year's Cadets. Despite the doom and gloom on DCP, those kids had FUN last season (somethrging that was missing in 2016).  

Brass should be improved from last year. And I trust Aungst to make necessary adjustments to improve percussion from last year.

The big question mark, for me, will be visual. Let's all hope the costumes are a bit more streamlined (aka no skirts).

I know you meant cassocks (they weren't kilts.) But I agree with you for 2018. The cassocks, though cumbersome, were appropriate for 2017 show material. The judges weren't prepared to think out side the box in this world of copycat presentations. Only BD  half skirts permitted evidently.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I know you meant cassocks (they weren't kilts.) But I agree with you for 2018. The cassocks, though cumbersome, were appropriate for 2017 show material. The judges weren't prepared to think out side the box in this world of copycat presentations. Only BD  half skirts permitted evidently.

Spot on sir!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

Oh oh, you mentioned BD on a Cadets thread.  Someone is going to wag their finger at you.  Or they might realize it is just simple harmless discussion in the middle of winter.  You shouldn't get too worked up over meandering discussion on this thread.  It happens on many threads.  It's just the Cadets thread grows so rapidly it enables tangential discussion (IMO), some of that through does relate to Cadet chat.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, xandandl said:

Only show leaks statements from Cadets interview with Drew Shanefield last night on Cadets FB, zoom, etc.:

1. hornline is over 50 per cent returning vets as of January camp. Rookie talent is up and book is advanced from last season. (I have known Drew since he came to the corps as a rookie in 88; his voice was relaxed and upbeat when he mentioned he was very pleased with progress this camp when he worked with the line, especially the trumpets of which he is an alum.)

2.  Drew and George only reaffirmed in their comments the positive and extremely pleased remarks about the percussion section Aungst and Omar have gathered building on returning vets.

3. Costuming different for each year's show seems to be the trend.

4.  Both Hopkins and Drew had interesting comments about electronics.  Drew doesn't seem in favor of micing hornlines. He pledged for the corps sound that any electronics (especially percussion) would be fewer decibels but more smartly used. Hopkins was quite frank about the failed attempts and inexperience. His pledge was that people could again sit in the first ten rows of any stadium.

Frankly, I'm sick of the year-after-year hype. I want results. I think the members deserve results. And by results, I mean higher than 4th place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dans said:

Typically on this site, if someone discusses corps X on corps Y's thread, the moderator tells them that there is already a thread on corps X, please move your conversation to that thread. The Cadets seem to be an exception for the moderators of this site...that was my point. It really isn't that big of a deal to me, just calling out the hypocrisy of the moderators on this site.

That's utter nonsense.  I have been here for years, and the mods don't normally get involved unless people are flagrantly violating rules, attacking others, etc.  They arent here to censor everyone you disapprove of.  Restricting posts in such a manner would drastically interfere with the flow of conversation.

That said, I do get tired of people using the corps X thread to BASH corps Y because they don't have the guts to do it on the corps Y thread.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skevinp said:

That's utter nonsense.  I have been here for years, and the mods don't normally get involved unless people are flagrantly violating rules, attacking others, etc.  They arent here to censor everyone you disapprove of.  Restricting posts in such a manner would drastically interfere with the flow of conversation.

That said, I do get tired of people using the corps X thread to BASH corps Y because they don't have the guts to do it on the corps Y thread.  

Corps Y needs to step their game up. 

21 hours ago, garfield said:

Wow, this is the best description of my impression as I've seen anywhere.  Crown's vocalist was certainly talented, but that horn line.  Ediker's description was really stark to me, like when their battery was so overmatched by the Harloff-Horns.

Yes, Crown's drumline (and colorguard) have had to strive for years to approach the league of their brass.  In no way do I want to diminish the vocalist.  She graciously shouldered the burden of being put in a difficult position... a predicament that was shouldered by many in the non-brass sections, over many seasons.  She deserves credit for the challenge she had to handle as a section of one.  

My sincere apology if my comment sidetracked the Cadets thread.  It was in response to a comment about vocalists, in general, which were heavily featured in Cadets 2017.  With talk about Cadets continuing vocalists this year, it seems relevant to discuss vocalists, in general.  Again, back to the Cadets.  Looking forward to their newly unshackled design team and the wonderful ways we are expecting them to innovate this activity with an effective use of vocals.  

Edited by Ediker
to steer conversation back to Cadets
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Frankly, I'm sick of the year-after-year hype. I want results. I think the members deserve results. And by results, I mean higher than 4th place. 

Nothing said was hype, imo. Just stating the fact that many members are returning and Drew/Tom seem to be pleased with the offseason progress. Whether that translates to success this summer is a mystery; no one knows and no one is saying that it will. 

However, as someone who heard the music at camp, it sounds better than last year. Doesn't mean they will place higher, as all corps get better every year and competition is stiffer than ever. But, if they can develop a solid program that the audience can get into, that is a win for this new team. They aren't going to launch back into the top 3 overnight; have to do it step by step

• Like 2