Cadets 2018

Sorry Jim, I quoted you before you edited your post to include "uniform". I thought you were talking about all the information released (music, program concept, uniform, etc). Which I thought was a premature judgment. 

57 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim doesn’t hate the Cadets, for God’s sake.   The Cadets are the members.  

I don't know. 

The Eagles won the Super Bowl. The players surely did. Didn't the coaches win too? And the front office? And the fans? It doesn't feel right at all not to be inclusive.

The Cadets. Members are Cadets. But does it really stop there? The parents who fund them, cheer them and love them don't have a stake? The volunteers who feed them, drive them and dress them aren't crucial? The staff who prepare them and push them to excellence and growth, they're not included? 

Or maybe the point is, we know we're sometimes being hurtful, so we create an accurate, though artificial, construct: We support the members even if our words (perhaps deeds) undermine the foundation on which they're meant to build.

Don't get me wrong. It's a free country and a open forum. We are entitled to our opinions and to share them. I just think it's silly to believe you aren't harming the members when you bring harm to the organization. Not the Scherrs, per se. Just in general, which is my point.

HH 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Not ALL the youth of the activity

I guess you welcomed him to DCP in style. First post and the full treatment.

Now, for the record, he didn't claim to represent every youth in our universe. Also for the record, it's worth noting (not dismissing) that the style was endorsed by youth, if not each and every one.

HH

11 minutes ago, glory said:

I don't know. 

The Eagles won the Super Bowl. The players surely did. Didn't the coaches win too? And the front office? And the fans? It doesn't feel right at all not to be inclusive.

The Cadets. Members are Cadets. But does it really stop there? The parents who fund them, cheer them and love them don't have a stake? The volunteers who feed them, drive them and dress them aren't crucial? The staff who prepare them and push them to excellence and growth, they're not included? 

Or maybe the point is, we know we're sometimes being hurtful, so we create an accurate, though artificial, construct: We support the members even if our words (perhaps deeds) undermine the foundation on which they're meant to build.

Don't get me wrong. It's a free country and a open forum. We are entitled to our opinions and to share them. I just think it's silly to believe you aren't harming the members when you bring harm to the organization. Not the Scherrs, per se. Just in general, which is my point.

HH 

I used to be a donor and helped some kids march.   Jim drove for them for a couple years and pushed props around here in the Midwest when we were at shows.  Whatever we did, we did for the members.  Never once, did I think it was about me. 

Harming the organization?  That seems a bit dramatic.  I doubt we carry that big of a stick in the grand scheme of things. 

If The Cadets are harmed, it will be an implosion kind of harm. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, YoofMan said:

Just to give you guys a look into what the youth of the activity thinks about the uniforms...we all think they look great and definitely a win

A bit of a broad statement, probably true in many cases, especially if it is your corps' uniform. However most of us who have sat in the stands and overhear conversations by "the youth of the activity," have heard less than flattering comments about other corps' uniforms from members who have already performed. That being said, uniform changes have always been controversial. I do believe some of the tighter fitting uniforms we see today do not flatter heavy set young people and at a time when body issues can be a serious matter,  this should be taken into consideration. 

16 minutes ago, glory said:

I don't know. 

HH 

that's been the issue for 30 some years now. Some can't separate the kids from the leadership. So if you blast the leadership you're hurting the kids in their eyes. Given the leadership makes the corps all about him, it's easy to see why many people dislike him/the organization. So like many, Jim, myself and other may not like the leadership, but will help the kids. I've donated to several MM's over the years, even if i wasn't a fan of the leadership.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Tim K said:

A bit of a broad statement, probably true in many cases, especially if it is your corps' uniform. However most of us who have sat in the stands and overhear conversations by "the youth of the activity," have heard less than flattering comments about other corps' uniforms from members who have already performed. That being said, uniform changes have always been controversial. I do believe some of the tighter fitting uniforms we see today do not flatter heavy set young people and at a time when body issues can be a serious matter,  this should be taken into consideration. 

here's the thing....kids know this is where it's going, so if they are that against it, their option is not to march. Remember also the kids mantra to be snarky about anything, especially around friends. Who here as a kid didn't make fun of stuff to be cool with their friends in a social gathering?

the drawing leaves some to desire, but it's a drawing. Til we see it in action who knows? I mean the angst we've seen on here over uniforms/costumes over the years is hysterical, and not just with the Cadets

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Having already gone over the top in my response to Eleran on this subject, might I just suggest that we be a little more welcoming and a little less dismissive (broad statement) of new voices - youth voices - on this topic?

HH

• Like 2