Cadets 2018

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

We are each entitled to our own opinions, and yours is just as valid as anyones, though I hope it  does not pan out as you are thinking it will.

To me, the show content so far seems a lot less George-like than usual. I guess we'll see what ends up on the field

Thanks for the civil response MikeD.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I am intrigued by the show. I hope the title, which references everyone talking and no one listening, means the Cadets will be trying to get us to listen to more music and less conversation. I like the uniform design and hat.  As with any show design let's see how they bring it to life. 

I appreciate your optimism sir. However, I have been let down by the Cadets design choices too many times. Props, singing, and narration...oh my. Why does this corps continue to make the same mistakes? Sorry to be a downer but the Cadets 2018 show concept and design choices really seem like standard George Hopkins ideas...yawn.

1 hour ago, dans said:

I appreciate your optimism sir. However, I have been let down by the Cadets design choices too many times. Props, singing, and narration...oh my. Why does this corps continue to make the same mistakes? Sorry to be a downer but the Cadets 2018 show concept and design choices really seem like standard George Hopkins ideas...yawn.

I don't have a dog in the fight except for my selfish desires but, I wonder, if you'd feel the same way about the design if it had not been George Hopkins driving it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm trying to understand why this angst is so prominent about George's design.  What's to happen if they replace George in that role and the design still sucks? Can George come back into that role again?

I'm hardly the Hopkins-apologist.

Edited by garfield

19 hours ago, CDUB said:

So this show is basically Cavies 2016 + Blue Knights 2017 + a dash of Mandarins 2017????

Haha I was actually thinking that! But maybe with the powerful emotions of BK 14.  If the Cadets want to put on a show like that for 2018 I am all in.

This concept has the potential to deliver a powerful message that I haven't found in any other Cadets show. Can it be the tear jerker of 2018?

Although sound of silence is so 2017.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't have a dog in the fight except for my selfish desires but, I wonder, if you'd feel the same way about the design if it had not been George Hopkins driving it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm trying to understand why this angst is so prominent about George's design.  What's to happen if they replace George in that role and the design still sucks? Can George come back into that role again?

I'm hardly the Hopkins-apologist.

I have not been a fan of the Cadets design choices for at least the past 8 years...regardless of George's involvement in the design process. I appreciate the fact that Hopkins has made the Cadets his life work. He has done some really good things for the corps; however, he is out of touch with modern Drum Corps. The fact that they continue to push narration and singing just blows my mind. I can't help but believe that George is the driving force behind singing and narration. And why? It's not like the Cadets have had success with narration and singing. In fact, most of it has been cringe worthy. Yet they continue to do things that have been mostly a failure. I know this sounds absurd, but I wonder if they even care what fans think of their shows recently.

31 minutes ago, garfield said:

I don't have a dog in the fight except for my selfish desires but, I wonder, if you'd feel the same way about the design if it had not been George Hopkins driving it?I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm trying to understand why this angst is so prominent about George's design.  What's to happen if they replace George in that role and the design still sucks? Can George come back into that role again?  I'm hardly the Hopkins-apologist.

Maybe some can go back to blaming Bush.

7 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

Haha I was actually thinking that! But maybe with the powerful emotions of BK 14.  If the Cadets want to put on a show like that for 2018 I am all in.

This concept has the potential to deliver a powerful message that I haven't found in any other Cadets show. Can it be the tear jerker of 2018?

Although sound of silence is so 2017.

I don't know about the "tear jerker of 2018," but the odds of it being the "grimace of 2018" are rising.

I don't know why their design team needs to make everything so awkwardly complicated.  For example, last year's show would have been miles better without the singing/screeching. The plagal cadence at the end was a thing of beauty--WAS a thing of beauty--until it was ruined by the "choir."  The year before that, Stoned (or whatever), was a neat concept: statutes coming to life.  But why the need to turn it into a Melo-drama about the depths of human emotions?  

Cadets: you are not the Blue Devils.  Your trying to be is not wearing well.  You have succeeded when you kept it simple and let the kids shine.  Angels & Demons--amazing.  12.25--amazing (a show that has gotten more love over the years).  Side x Side--amazing (despite the questionable color palette, but I get it).  Being esoteric is not your thing.  And that's ok.  We want to be entertained, not lectured, and certainly not lectured through a mess of a design.  

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, CDUB said:

I don't know about the "tear jerker of 2018," but the odds of it being the "grimace of 2018" are rising.

I don't know why their design team needs to make everything so awkwardly complicated.  For example, last year's show would have been miles better without the singing/screeching. The plagal cadence at the end was a thing of beauty--WAS a thing of beauty--until it was ruined by the "choir."  The year before that, Stoned (or whatever), was a neat concept: statutes coming to life.  But why the need to turn it into a Melo-drama about the depths of human emotions?  

Cadets: you are not the Blue Devils.  Your trying to be is not wearing well.  You have succeeded when you kept it simple and let the kids shine.  Angels & Demons--amazing.  12.25--amazing (a show that has gotten more love over the years).  Side x Side--amazing (despite the questionable color palette, but I get it).  Being esoteric is not your thing.  And that's ok.  We want to be entertained, not lectured, and certainly not lectured through a mess of a design.  

I bought a hat from them with Stoned emblazoned across the front.  I'm embarrassed to wear it out of the house.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1