Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, dans said:

I have not been a fan of the Cadets design choices for at least the past 8 years...he is out of touch with modern Drum Corps. 

I don't know about that - I've found many designs over the last 8 years by many finalist corps to be cringe-worthy.  So maybe he's perfectly in touch.

Too many musicians with an inflated sense of their own cleverness, and an unwillingness to trust the music.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It sounds interesting to me.  I just hope it doesn’t get too talky like 2008.  That’s probably my least favorite Cadets show.  

if it goes Cavies the last two years I'll be ok with it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dans said:

The more I hear about the 2018 Cadets, the more disgusted I become. Sounds like Hopkins is still ruining, I mean running the show at the Cadets. More tacky props, singing, and narration. Are you freaking kidding me? I need to pick another corps to support. It seems pretty clear that Hopkins is prepared to go down with the ship! What a sad situation. Shame on the Cadets board members for not stepping up to stop the bleeding at the Cadets. 34 years of following the Cadets quickly coming to an end!

it's February. who knows where it'll go.

Plus here's the thing...the days of Cadets/Cavies/BD then everyone else is over. Crown and Bloo entered the fray, Boston is making moves, SCV is back in the game....the competition at the top has never been better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CDUB said:

It is ironic that the corps that will perform a show that is supposedly predicated on the perils of self-absorption and not listening to others is led by a director who . . . is self-absorbed and . . . doesn’t listen to others!  

The GE for this show is going to be off the charts!

biographies can be good

10 hours ago, xandandl said:

Well I guess we have to be thankful that GH didn't pick this designer who outfitted the Norwegian team for the Olympics.

Members of the Norwegian Olympic curling team, Christoffer Svae, Thomas Ulsrud, Haavard Peterson and Torger Nergaard pose in their unique uniforms. The team is expected to be a fan favorite for a third straight Olympics. Photo: Bebeto Matthews, Associated Press

the Fran Haring collection!!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, dans said:

I have not been a fan of the Cadets design choices for at least the past 8 years...regardless of George's involvement in the design process. I appreciate the fact that Hopkins has made the Cadets his life work. He has done some really good things for the corps; however, he is out of touch with modern Drum Corps. The fact that they continue to push narration and singing just blows my mind. I can't help but believe that George is the driving force behind singing and narration. And why? It's not like the Cadets have had success with narration and singing. In fact, most of it has been cringe worthy. Yet they continue to do things that have been mostly a failure. I know this sounds absurd, but I wonder if they even care what fans think of their shows recently.

um....2005 would beg to differ and i despise that show

17 hours ago, FTNK said:

Since talking is such a central thing to their show concept, I'm guessing there will be....talking? Script by George?

Someone (Shanefield, I think) mentioned that much of the text was going to be direct quotes of the poem (though not necessarily with the same melodic setting as in the actual song "The Sound of Silence").

So, potentially some setting the words to different melodic lines, potentially some spoken-word (a la the great Leonard Cohen performance of the poem)?

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

I don't know about that - I've found many designs over the last 8 years by many finalist corps to be cringe-worthy.  So maybe he's perfectly in touch.

Too many musicians with an inflated sense of their over cleverness, and an unwillingness to trust the music.

I’m not going to name names but one show last year was particularly cringeworthy.  It wasn’t the Cadets, either.  I didn’t know how to react and it was a shame because the members performed the hell out of it.