Cadets 2018

On 2/8/2018 at 9:36 AM, FTNK said:

Welp I think this year they will either bounce back and find a modern groove, or fade into the vast number of corps that are kinda generic, make “okay” shows and chase trends

Ya mean like combining that narration with something with a modern groove? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

I have not been a fan of the Cadets design choices for at least the past 8 years...regardless of George's involvement in the design process. I appreciate the fact that Hopkins has made the Cadets his life work. He has done some really good things for the corps; however, he is out of touch with modern Drum Corps. The fact that they continue to push narration and singing just blows my mind. I can't help but believe that George is the driving force behind singing and narration. And why? It's not like the Cadets have had success with narration and singing. In fact, most of it has been cringe worthy. Yet they continue to do things that have been mostly a failure. I know this sounds absurd, but I wonder if they even care what fans think of their shows recently.

Maybe it's you? I have been a drum corps fan since the 70s. I've been to every DCI since 1990. I don't remember a time when people weren't complaining about the Cadets' design choices. Pick your problem. Props? Voice? Pop music? Obscure music? Add to your list too many gimmicks, too literal and too cerebral. The situation the past eight years was no different than the eight before that and all the eights before.  Maybe yo'u're cheering for the wrong team? 

I know a long-time drum corps fan - a BD fan - who for a lot of reasons only made it to one show in 2016: Finals. His favorite of the 12 from two years ago? Stoned. Statues. Awakening. Cadets. He's a sophisticated fan, someone who's been to dozens of DCI finals, Allentown and others. And not a Cadets fan. So why did he pick Cadets 2016? I've thought a lot about that. And the answer I think is he wasn't part of the endless, breathless discussion that summer. He didn't see the developing program dissected down to the last detail. All he saw was what the Cadets put on the field. He credited all they accomplished and only what he saw that night. Different from here and the judges sheets, he didn't attempt to reconcile what he saw and heard against criteria assembled by themselves and others  in the weeks before.

I don't like every design choice the Cadets have made. I do recognize, however, the Cadets aren't unique in that respect. There have been lots of bad design choice along with some good ones across the spectrum of corps. We just never cut the Cadets a break around here. 

HH  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

I don't know about that - I've found many designs over the last 8 years by many finalist corps to be cringe-worthy...

Bingo. The difference is other corps' design challenges aren't scrutinized the way Cadets' are.

HH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, glory said:

Maybe it's you? I have been a drum corps fan since the 70s. I've been to every DCI since 1990. I don't remember a time when people weren't complaining about the Cadets' design choices. Pick your problem. Props? Voice? Pop music? Obscure music? Add to your list too many gimmicks, too literal and too cerebral. The situation the past eight years was no different than the eight before that and all the eights before.  Maybe yo'u're cheering for the wrong team? 

I know a long-time drum corps fan - a BD fan - who for a lot of reasons only made it to one show in 2016: Finals. His favorite of the 12 from two years ago? Stoned. Statues. Awakening. Cadets. He's a sophisticated fan, someone who's been to dozens of DCI finals, Allentown and others. And not a Cadets fan. So why did he pick Cadets 2016? I've thought a lot about that. And the answer I think is he wasn't part of the endless, breathless discussion that summer. He didn't see the developing program dissected down to the last detail. All he saw was what the Cadets put on the field. He credited all they accomplished and only what he saw that night. Different from here and the judges sheets, he didn't attempt to reconcile what he saw and heard against criteria assembled by themselves and others  in the weeks before.

I don't like every design choice the Cadets have made. I do recognize, however, the Cadets aren't unique in that respect. There have been lots of bad design choice along with some good ones across the spectrum of corps. We just never cut the Cadets a break around here. 

HH  

This season will be the 34th year my wife and I have been following the Cadets. There have been ups and downs along the way for sure. I always defended the corps and ignored the critics because I was so amazed and captivated by the Cadets. It's mind boggling to think of all the good people who have walked away from the corps...and not in a good way. The Cadets brand has been diminished over the years and many don't even consider them a contender anymore. The Cadets have clearly lost their magic and they seem to be unable to regain their mojo. I do agree that the Cadets seem to be judged by different standards than other corps...partly because they set the bar so freaking high.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dans said:

I have not been a fan of the Cadets design choices for at least the past 8 years...he is out of touch with modern Drum Corps. 

And just for some empirical data about those last 8 years when purportedly being "out of touch" ...

• The Cadets are tied for second in most Gold Medals (with Bluecoats and Crown)
  • The Cadets are in fourth place for average placement (4.125, behind Bluecoats 4.000, Crown 3.000 and Devils 1.375) 

For all that people obsess with placement, those numbers aren't too shabby ... I mean, especially considering they are out of touch with modern Drum Corps.

13 minutes ago, Eleran said:

And just for some empirical data about those last 8 years when purportedly being "out of touch" ...

• The Cadets are tied for second in most Gold Medals (with Bluecoats and Crown)
  • The Cadets are in fourth place for average placement (4.125, behind Bluecoats 4.000, Crown 3.000 and Devils 1.375) 

For all that people obsess with placement, those numbers aren't too shabby ... I mean, especially considering they are out of touch with modern Drum Corps.

I appreciate your thoughts; however, I'm rooting for the Cadets to regain their greatness. I'm not a Cadet hater...actually, quite the opposite. My wife and I will be at their camp this weekend...full of hope. And I don't really care about stats and placements, I just want to be wowed by the Cadets again. And yes, I honestly don't believe Hopkins is in tune with modern drum corps. Thanks again for your thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dans said:

I will be at their camp this weekend...full of hope. 

Ditto. 

I didn't particularly like the Sensemaya charts when I first saw them, but enjoyed it much more live last camp with the percussion/pit added, and the more full sense of the music on display.   Last season I also questioned several areas of arranging at early camps, and then was pleasantly surprised when the vocals were layered on later (though I did not agree with certain additional vocals that were added late in the season). 

In other words, I know that I have to sit on my hands and wait to see them put it all together before I can fully judge.   

54 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Ditto. 

I didn't particularly like the Sensemaya charts when I first saw them, but enjoyed it much more live last camp with the percussion/pit added, and the more full sense of the music on display.   Last season I also questioned several areas of arranging at early camps, and then was pleasantly surprised when the vocals were layered on later (though I did not agree with certain additional vocals that were added late in the season). 

In other words, I know that I have to sit on my hands and wait to see them put it all together before I can fully judge.   

We were at the camp last month. I must say that the percussion is really strong right now. And I do like the music so far...very Cadet like!

I used to march with Tom Aungst (before he went to the Cadets) in the Reading Buccaneers snare line. We have been friends ever since. He was my initial connection to the Cadets 34 years ago. I used to help Rick Vale with hydration duties and my wife used to volunteer with the food crew. We have some amazing memories with the Cadets! I so want the Cadets to be great again.

The Cadets have set that bar very high for sure BUT that bar was set long before 34 years ago and has nothing to do with a medal or top 5. Funny how for some dropping out of top 5 means the falling into the abyss yet for others making it to top 5 or 6 or 7 or even making finals is a dream come true and celebrated. Guess it's all perspective.

• Like 1