Cadets 2018

34 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

The Cadets have set that bar very high for sure BUT that bar was set long before 34 years ago and has nothing to do with a medal or top 5. Funny how for some dropping out of top 5 means the falling into the abyss yet for others making it to top 5 or 6 or 7 or even making finals is a dream come true and celebrated. Guess it's all perspective.

Nice touch leading with the right margin

7 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

Haha I was actually thinking that! But maybe with the powerful emotions of BK 14.  If the Cadets want to put on a show like that for 2018 I am all in.

This concept has the potential to deliver a powerful message that I haven't found in any other Cadets show. Can it be the tear jerker of 2018?

Although sound of silence is so 2017.

I fear that we are in for a deluge of "Sound of Silence" similar to "Kaleidoscope of Mathematics"

• Like 2

The Conversation: Everybody's Talking, Nobody's Listening - The life story of Jeff Goldblum

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, glory said:

Bingo. The difference is other corps' design challenges aren't scrutinized the way Cadets' are.

HH

Poor Cadets.  

Gimme a break.  

19 hours ago, xandandl said:

true Cadet uniform (2015)

This is disingenuous. What the Cadets wear is a true Cadets uniform, whether it's the classic version or not.

He just hosted the Superbowl. 

Why did they say this? Was there any point to saying this?

All other costumes pale in comparison to what has set the standard for about 7 decades.

Got me there, the classic uniform is an all-timer. (Also... teehee, they said "costumes!")

Bright, clean, sharp, neat.

Two parts to this one:

Bright- Does this person not notice that the primary color is white, and that the red bits are of a material that will be glossier or shinier? It's certainly brighter than a maroon-topped uniform.

Clean/Neat/Sharp- Combining these three, because they pretty much go hand-in-hand. It seems clear that there is some chaos or turmoil in the show that can be represented through the uniform. Could the show be done with the classic uniform? Sure, but in this day and age costuming is an integral part of the visual and effect captions, and the classic look may not be as strong in those regards.

Society today doesn't need more dark shows set against the dark black curtains of Lucas Oil Stadium. 

This is the line that made me laugh. If they are talking about the subject material of the shows as being dark, the curtains are not a good comparison, and come across as a pretty poor metaphor. If they are talking about the actual color palette... I refer them to my previous comment.

I am very disappointed in the color palette inflicted upon the mms for 2018.

Now that's simply a condescending choice of words, especially because the color scheme is rather close to their beloved maroon and cream. Hell, it might even BE maroon and cream when we see it on the field this year. I guess the lack of gold is what kills it for these people... and god forbid ANYBODY use black!

Last year's versions were more conducive to positive GE possibilities.

Have they seen this year's show? Obviously not, the drill hasn't even been written yet! This is an impossible claim to make in February, and it sounds like more stick-up-the-### venting just like the rest of this dumb memo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin84 said:

I fear that we are in for a deluge of "Sound of Silence" similar to "Kaleidoscope of Mathematics"

Worse, we got that last year, and this year fatigue sets in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not going to name names but one show last year was particularly cringeworthy.  It wasn’t the Cadets, either.  I didn’t know how to react and it was a shame because the members performed the hell out of it.  

you don't need to name names, sadly I know exactly which corps you're referring too - and yes - they performed the heck out of it. But it was a horrific design and the "amplification" didn't help matters either. But it did help their scores so there is that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

you don't need to name names, sadly I know exactly which corps you're referring too - and yes - they performed the heck out of it. But it was a horrific design and the "amplification" didn't help matters either. But it did help their scores so there is that.

It was a pretty good example of a big name not always translating to big results. Hopefully this year will bring better things. (And, pretty pretty please: fewer speakers and microphones.)

Thought I'd bring a little positive in this thread. Just wanted to say as far as spandex costumes go I rather like this one for The Cadets. Also dig the music choices so far. I hope that their brass line has some more meat this year, they were way better than the book they were given last year.

Edited by Brass Lover