Cadets 2018

7 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Thought I'd bring a little positive in this thread. Just wanted to say as far as spandex costumes go I rather like this one for The Cadets. Also dig the music choices so far. I hope that their brass line has some more meat this year, they were way better than the book they were given last year.

The brass book definately has more meat...and it's very Cadet like. I actually really like the music so far. Will be attending camp today and tomorrow. The vocals will be added to the ensemble today. I will try to keep an open mind.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

I hope that their brass line has some more meat this year, they were way better than the book they were given last year.

I think that was partially the result of the Bernstein source music, which didn't lend itself so much to meatiness, and couldn't be altered significantly.

Ho-hum...it's only Feb 10th and I see the negative know- it- all's are out and about. It's Feb geniuses chill. If you know so much then go write a show. We will be happy to critique it.

55 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think that was partially the result of the Bernstein source music, which didn't lend itself so much to meatiness, and couldn't be altered significantly.

Don’t know if more notes would have changed their 8th place finish in brass. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in brass can answer that question. Just doesn’t seem logical that more would’ve been better. 

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

Don’t know if more notes would have changed their 8th place finish in brass. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in brass can answer that question. Just doesn’t seem logical that more would’ve been better. 

More notes won't help. Cadets miss a certain music arranger now in residence with BK. He knew how to make the music slap you in the face when needed and bring a tear to your eye. Some thought his arranging was getting boring..Careful what you wish for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dans said:

I appreciate your thoughts; however, I'm rooting for the Cadets to regain their greatness. I'm not a Cadet hater...actually, quite the opposite. My wife and I will be at their camp this weekend...full of hope. And I don't really care about stats and placements, I just want to be wowed by the Cadets again. And yes, I honestly don't believe Hopkins is in tune with modern drum corps. Thanks again for your thoughts

Many corps have or are going through what the cadets are. Look back and you will find Cavies, Santa Clara, Blue Devils, Boston, the list goes on. We cadet supporters have been spoiled big time. We thought the ride would never end. It hasn't..It has just hit a few bumps and slowed down a bit. Keep the faith. Keep the trash talk to a minimum since the members DO see what we write here.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, Terri Schehr said:

It sounds interesting to me.  I just hope it doesn’t get too talky like 2008.  That’s probably my least favorite Cadets show.  

"This I Believe !!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dans said:

The brass book definately has more meat...and it's very Cadet like. 

That's something I took away from the last camp as well: the Sensemayá  arrangement was driving, strong and powerful, and should lend itself to interesting, fast-paced drill.   

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Many corps have or are going through what the cadets are. Look back and you will find Cavies, Santa Clara, Blue Devils, Boston, the list goes on. We cadet supporters have been spoiled big time. We thought the ride would never end. It hasn't..It has just hit a few bumps and slowed down a bit. Keep the faith. Keep the trash talk to a minimum since the members DO see what we write here.

You make some good points. And I will be careful to not insult the members. The Cadets have been a big part of my life and they're very special to me. Some times my frustration clouds my judgement when it comes to the Cadets. Excited for camp today...getting ready to go!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eleran said:

That's something I took away from the last camp as well: the Sensemayá  arrangement was driving, strong and powerful, and should lend itself to interesting, fast-paced drill.   

Agree 100% about Sensemaya...powerful stuff. It would be nice to meet you this afternoon.