Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Wanna bet that some big money corps is investigating who that Korean designer from the Opening Ceremonies is and who his/her underlings are...???

Sadly Cadets aren't and have never been a big money corps truth be told.

BS

$1.2million reported on their latest 990 on Guidestar most definitely qualifies them for membership in the rarefied group of "big money corps".

• Like 1

Enjoyed Cadets camp today. I must say, the improvement in the brass line over last year is remarkable. This line can part your hair...a lot of focus on power. And the book is way more interesting than last year. Drew Shanefield is doing great stuff...he wrote a great book. Really happy with the Cadets right now. I believe this is the best foundation the corps has had to build on for several years. Today was the debut of the vocals at ensemble. Very surprised that I was impressed...not a big fan of vocals in drum corps. The singers are extremely talented and the vocal arrangements seem way better than previous attemps. The Cadets should go into spring training with a really solid product. What happens when they put the show on the field is the real test. We shall see how it turns out. Hopefully, the design staff won't shoot themselves in the foot again this sason...please!

• Like 7

10 hours ago, garfield said:

BS

$1.2million reported on their latest 990 on Guidestar most definitely qualifies them for membership in the rarefied group of "big money corps".

1.2M is a lot of money, but where does that compare with everyone else's operating money?

For example, Williams spends about 186 million euros a year to race in F1, but compared to Ferrari's 400 +million Euro budget, it's a pittance.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

1.2M is a lot of money, but where does that compare with everyone else's operating money?

For example, Williams spends about 186 million euros a year to race in F1, but compared to Ferrari's 400 +million Euro budget, it's a pittance.

Subtract the back salaries owed, the outstanding costs of some litigation rumored, and the added costs of this year's electronics' upgrades and it all starts to diminish to less than a spare year's reserve in the bank.. Yes, Cadets are in a far better financial situation than some, but nothing like their California cousins.  Your point about relativity is spot on. Besides what is for YEA and all its programs and what is specifically for Cadets so dependent on YEA and the success of USBands would be fodder for another thread.

Edited by xandandl

In 2015, YEA! reported just over $6.1million (MM) in revenue.  Of that:

USBands produced $2.25mm, Cadets produced $1.15mm, and Cadets2 produced $277,000 (m)

Expenses spent to run those programs were:

USBands: $1.75mm

Cadets: $1.455mm

Cadets2: $389m

Expenses reportable to other programs: $897m

Total program expenses: $4.495mm

For context, Total revenue in past year were: 2011 - $5.057mm, 2012 - $4.84mm, 2013 - $5.4mm, 2014 - $5.9mm, 2015 - $6.14mm

I'll let others grapple with these numbers...

(Is anyone else having flashbacks? :blink:)

• Like 1

Garfield's numbers, while no doubt accurate, aren't the answer to the question. 

Corps like Cadets and Crown have to scrape to fund themselves. Neither donors nor members nor the combination cut it. I think that's the "big money" distinction X is making.

BD and SCV, on the other hand, are big money. Bingo cash is the differentiator. Bingo is what's put BD in hotel rooms finals week for as long as I can remember. 

HH 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, garfield said:

(Is anyone else having flashbacks? :blink:)

You did all the heavy lifting G when you did the corps 990's.  It is Spring Training for MLB, so you're quick Cadets report is your ST.  Didn't you post awhile back that you might do the 990's again in a year or so?'

And yet, they're doing a west coast tour this year.  I'm getting mixed signals here. 

50 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And yet, they're doing a west coast tour this year.  I'm getting mixed signals here. 

Maybe they'll run a couple of Bingos while they are there. JK don't kill me.   I am curious though; what are the components of "expenses"?  Does that include admin costs, instructional staff, music fees, logisitics costs, MM support when on the road?  I would think it is a huge range of costs.