Cadets 2018

59 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

And yet, they're doing a west coast tour this year.  I'm getting mixed signals here. 

Many of the corps who did west coast tours in the past decade did not have deep cash reserves, BAC excepted. The number of shows done on the Pacific run helps offset the extra expenses for driving. Feeding the corps remains the same number of meals whether sitting in place or travelling. Phantom and Madison are two examples of corps who ventured West and aren't known as money corps.

Cadets have publicly voiced several reasons for doing the Pacific run this season among them: meeting full panels of judging earlier and more frequently; maintaining and expanding the brand market of the corps in that locale; giving the mms, particularly the vets a different and new experience of a wider nation; enticing some new recruits beyond an East Coast or Southern tour, etc., etc. Many of the Western corps plus Oregon Crusaders and Seattle Cascades succeed with their own sponsored contests when different corps compete in front of the Northwest audiences. Ask these corps yourself.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, glory said:

Garfield's numbers, while no doubt accurate, aren't the answer to the question. 

Corps like Cadets and Crown have to scrape to fund themselves. Neither donors nor members nor the combination cut it. I think that's the "big money" distinction X is making.

BD and SCV, on the other hand, are big money. Bingo cash is the differentiator. Bingo is what's put BD in hotel rooms finals week for as long as I can remember. 

HH 

BD's total revenue (NOT gross receipts) were just over $3.34mm, roughly half of YEA!.

It would be wrong to confuse gaming revenue with org revenue before you subtract gaming payouts.

Edited by garfield

34 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe they'll run a couple of Bingos while they are there. JK don't kill me.   I am curious though; what are the components of "expenses"?  Does that include admin costs, instructional staff, music fees, logisitics costs, MM support when on the road?  I would think it is a huge range of costs.

If the corps meets in Allentown and travels to the West Coast by bus, that would be a huge expense. If the marching members fly themselves to California and early season camps are held in the West, that saves the Cadets a huge chunk of change. I  seem to recall that this is what Boston Crusaders did in 2012 and I think Crown did the same in 2013. Cadets may have to pay for staff to travel, and they would have to pay to get the equipment, busses, trucks, etc. out West, and more gas may be used to go from West to East, but it is doable if it was budgeted. Also, development/advancement/fund-raising (not sure which term Cadets uses) would be key. In 2011 at East Coast Classic, it was announced that Boston Crusaders would be traveling to California because Blue Devils and SCV traveled to the Boston area to be in a BAC show, and it was hoped donors might help. I have not seen any financial appeals for Cadets recently (the past six months), but I would find it surprising if Cadets has not made an appeal, if not to all those in their mailing list, at least to those they approach privately, to help defray the costs of a West Coast trip. 

18 hours ago, garfield said:

BS

$1.2million reported on their latest 990 on Guidestar most definitely qualifies them for membership in the rarefied group of "big money corps".

however Guidestar doesnt show us cost of constantly training new employees, and more. it's a roadmap, but not a line item

Edited by Jeff Ream

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

If the corps meets in Allentown and travels to the West Coast by bus, that would be a huge expense. 

The corps spends the first two weeks or so of Spring Training in Johnstown, PA, then travels by bus to Ada, OH for the remaining couple weeks, then starts the tour.  That has been their schedule the last two seasons, and will be repeated this year.   The corps leaves Ada June 16 (a handful of days earlier than usual) and instead of driving to Indy for the season opener, they drive on to Nebraska (and rehearse on the 17th), then to Wyoming (and rehearse there the 18th), then to Utah (and rehearse there the 19th),  then to Nevada (and rehearse there the 20th), arriving in California the 21st.

To be honest, I don't believe the additional miles on the front end will necessarily add much, or any, to their overall budget, because the corps will simultaneously be saving the cost of renting dorm rooms for ~200 people for the several additional days they would have stayed at Ada had they only been heading to the Indy opener.  They're also doing 7 shows in California, all clustered around SF and LA, so there are several days in Cali where they are not traveling significantly at all.  They're also cutting out the Florida leg of the tour, which was lengthy the last two years.   Someone can probably run the exact mileage on google, I suppose.

Edited by Eleran
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I have not seen any financial appeals for Cadets recently (the past six months), but I would find it surprising if Cadets has not made an appeal, if not to all those in their mailing list, at least to those they approach privately, to help defray the costs of a West Coast trip. 

Does DCI chip in with seed money for the corps that start their year out West?

2 hours ago, garfield said:

BD's total revenue (NOT gross receipts) were just over $3.34mm, roughly half of YEA!.

It would be wrong to confuse gaming revenue with org revenue before you subtract gaming payouts.

It would be wrong. I agree.

It would be wrong also to think BD and SCV are in the same financial category as any other corps. They have an income stream and/or assets that put them in a different category. The reason why Cadets, Crown and others perform in 30 or more shows a year is they need the money. The reason why BD and SCV are in 10 or so fewer shows is they don't need the money.

HH

Edited by glory

11 minutes ago, glory said:

The reason why BD and SCV are in 10 or so fewer shows is they don't need the money.

This might be true, but some feel the BD cut back so they can rehearse more and get more rest by cutting back on the extra overnighters.

Edited by Ghost