Cadets 2018

25 minutes ago, glory said:

Great? No. Not great. Not great at all. 

The selfish, childish, boorish behaviour of fans in the Rose Bowl was a worse offense than any for which the Cadets were accused. Those kids performed as well as any corps - that year or another - and they deserved better from adults. The jeers and the boos put the stands as low as the Cadets were high.

HH

Thank you glory! You are spot on. I have a friend who was there...he said there were people in the stands that were drunk and completely out of control. Sadly, there were some out of control drunks who followed the Cadets to their busses and continued yelling at the kids. That was the darkest night for drum corps that I ever experienced. I almost stopped following the activity that night. I was embarrassed to be a drum corps fan that infamous evening at the Rose Bowl!

• Thanks 2

To be clear I marched with most of the people in the corps (Cadets in 2006) and was just poking fun at the dumb narration. 

In 2005 the corps was perhaps the most "stacked" ever for Cadets and it showed. For example the tubas were 7/10 vets. 2006 had the most rookies in a very long time and it showed. Tubas were 3/10 (and the last one was a mellow horn filler who didn't play and came in late). In 2007 50+ came back and...it showed.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, George Dixon said:

hey these remote control props, 18 speakers, 20 wireless mics and high end mixing boards cost $$$$

gas is cheap by comparison - we're officially in the era of indoor practice domes and grammy award winning mixing consultants :)

well gas aint cheap when hauling 4/5 busses, 2 RV's and 2/3 trucks

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

It was great when after the mm said, "alright, let's do something with no voice", the crowd, not quite as loud as a "vanguard" yell, gave a cheer.

happened at some local shows in their home turf too

1 hour ago, glory said:

Great? No. Not great. Not great at all. 

The selfish, childish, boorish behaviour of fans in the Rose Bowl was a worse offense than any for which the Cadets were accused. Those kids performed as well as any corps - that year or another - and they deserved better from adults. The jeers and the boos put the stands as low as the Cadets were high.

HH

Maybe that was the only time during the finals show, the crowd could voice their displeasure with the "hash line gate" discussion by GH and their dislike of all the narration.

16 hours ago, xandandl said:

your comments match Dans' post and he was at camp  Sounds great (pun intended.)  How they sound with the feet will be all telling. This is where 2007 shone.

PS. After tomorrow, Mardi Gras, I'll be working on some special projects and will not be on for about six weeks. Not a health problem, just something special. See you for Śmigus-dyngus. 

I suspect they will not be hiding the feet under the robes for half the program this year.  So however they sound, at least we will be able to see it. It was an interesting experiment, but I'm looking forward to seeing all the marching again.

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

So put him on ignore.  You seem to be hypersensitive to his comments.  

Most brasslines do sound good standing still. Sheesh.  The borgs live. 

actually I heard 2 of the top 5 brass lines last year during finals week standing still which did not sound good

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dans said:

Really? I've been very critical of the Cadets in recent years. That hardly qualifies me as a borg!

you're a "borg" unless you are 24/7/365 negative 

JMO

I'm quite negative right now, passed along "a report" and then it got quoted and referred to as "hype" 

So frankly, when it comes to Cadets "you can't win"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

To be clear I marched with most of the people in the corps (Cadets in 2006) and was just poking fun at the dumb narration. 

In 2005 the corps was perhaps the most "stacked" ever for Cadets and it showed. For example the tubas were 7/10 vets. 2006 had the most rookies in a very long time and it showed. Tubas were 3/10 (and the last one was a mellow horn filler who didn't play and came in late). In 2007 50+ came back and...it showed.

absolutely - makes a huge diff