Cadets 2018

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

These aren't unrealistic expectations. They should be able to find the best staff to make them competitive. If people are willing to accept the cadets being a 7th place corps, then i would suggest they raise their expectations. It is unfair to require members to pay the type of money their paying only to march in a sub par corps. I wouldn't do it. That's just me. 

Thanks for the reply. I definitely agree that with the money and effort the members are putting in they should feel accomplished about their season. 

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I just hope no one has so many props that they can spell out sentences with them.

I think crown had enough boards on the field last season to write a dissertation.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

I think crown had enough boards on the field last season to write a dissertation.

Lol that was hilarious.

Still, Crown is able to deliver a quality product. 

11 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Haha well obviously that would be preferred. I know Cadets have a crazy history, but sometimes I think they have expectations put on them that aren't super realistic given their current situation. Personally I want to see a great show that gains competitive ground instead of losing it. Whether it's competing for 1st or 12th I don't really care.

it's three things:

Their diehards are most vocal on here compared to others, especially in the off season. Sure other corps get their honks, no one generates the need to know details on here, coupled with endless speculation like the Cadets. Alumni have huge expectations, plus then there's the split in the alumni ranks pro or con the director.

Plus, the directors social media posts tend to hype the expectations, which then creates the gnashing of teeth all summer if they don't live up. 

then always the controversy of some type that surrounds the organization. Always adds to the mix....usually created by the director.

so in a nutshell, as the now legendary internet cartoon says, it all comes down to George Hopkins

:laughing:

38 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

These aren't unrealistic expectations. They should be able to find the best staff to make them competitive. If people are willing to accept the cadets being a 7th place corps, then i would suggest they raise their expectations. It is unfair to require members to pay the type of money their paying only to march in a sub par corps. I wouldn't do it. That's just me. 

agree...to a point. In the 90's, it was BD, Cadets, and a rotating cast, tho more often than not Cavies in that top 3 strata. SCV and Phantom snuck in there a time or two after Star left.. It was usually those 3/4 and the rest. 

Now add in Bloo, Crown and possibly Boston. Now the path to the top thickens. the competition is tighter than ever. So while attaining the top is always a goal, it's a lot harder to get in there. As for why they can't get the top staff to get them there...well......that's been discussed on enough threads on DCP to rival my post count

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lol that was hilarious.

Still, Crown is able to deliver a quality product. 

So did Cadets. Some people in the stands at finals thought Cadets easily gave us the most beautiful show of the night. 

Was it a first place show? No, but not because it wasn't quality. People forget that much of the Cadets design staff skedaddled before the season - and a significant percentage of members went with them. This wasn't a prime Cadets corps like some before it. I'd say they did great work creating a quality show under challenging circumstances. 

HH 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, dans said:

Thank you glory! You are spot on. I have a friend who was there...he said there were people in the stands that were drunk and completely out of control. Sadly, there were some out of control drunks who followed the Cadets to their busses and continued yelling at the kids. That was the darkest night for drum corps that I ever experienced. I almost stopped following the activity that night. I was embarrassed to be a drum corps fan that infamous evening at the Rose Bowl!

I, too, nearly left because of that night. I was aghast at the behavior.

• Like 1

Just occurred to me. DCP is still on the tic system. Certainly it is where the Cadets are concerned.

Any shortcoming is noted, publicized and maximized. Full discredit given. Points subtracted. Permanent marker used. 

Accomplishments are taken for granted. Worse, they're actually discounted. Reminds me of 2005 on this board when when one of our fellow contributors shared her pride at "sitting on her hands" after Cadets performed. As she told us, there was nothing to applaud. 

Tic system. Still in full form for Cadets.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, glory said:

Just occurred to me. DCP is still on the tic system. Certainly it is where the Cadets are concerned.

Any shortcoming is noted, publicized and maximized. Full discredit given. Points subtracted. Permanent marker used. 

Accomplishments are taken for granted. Worse, they're actually discounted. Reminds me of 2005 on this board when when one of our fellow contributors shared her pride at "sitting on her hands" after Cadets performed. As she told us, there was nothing to applaud. 

Tic system. Still in full form for Cadets.

HH

People like that make me think they are totally joyless. If that same show was done by her favorite corps she would have thought it was the second coming. 

13 minutes ago, glory said:

So did Cadets. Some people in the stands at finals thought Cadets easily gave us the most beautiful show of the night. 

Was it a first place show? No, but not because it wasn't quality. People forget that much of the Cadets design staff skedaddled before the season - and a significant percentage of members went with them. This wasn't a prime Cadets corps like some before it. I'd say they did great work creating a quality show under challenging circumstances. 

HH 

Can't disagree with that, at all.

7th place in DCI World Class is rarified air, in our little corner of the world known as the drum corps universe.

Now... 7th place is not up to the Cadets' historical standards... but I tell you what, I marched in a suck-o-rama local-circuit junior corps, back in the day, and I would have torn off my arm for my corps to be as "subpar" as the Cadets were in 2017.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1