Cadets 2018

13 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

can't disagree with that, at all.

7th place in DCI World Class is rarified air, in our little corner of the world known as the drum corps universe.

Now... 7th place is not up to the Cadets' historical standards... but I tell you what, I marched in a suck-o-rama local-circuit junior corps, back in the day, and I would have torn off my arm for my corps to be as "subpar" as the Cadets were in 2017.

all just personal perspective. Look at those who rose up last year One would think they thought they discovered sliced bread for the 1st time. It's all about the journey sometimes which can be just as exciting as well as important as the actual number. jmo

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, HockeyDad said:

Reading the high praise of the 2007 horn line. About all I can remember is that awful narration and how it ruined the show for me, including that horn line.  What a shame. It should have served as a lesson. But here we are 11 years later and he persists in jamming the narration, which is almost always over the top preachy and cheesy. And the worst part- distracting from that talent in the horn line. 

In my opinion, the 2007 Cadets win the Gold without that narration. Even if they had 30% less narration and less cheesy lines I think they win. GH is too often trying to make a statement. Sad because in the case of the 2007 corps I believe they were one of the very best performing drum corps we've seen in the 2000s. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

In my opinion, the 2007 Cadets win the Gold without that narration. Even if they had 30% less narration and less cheesy lines I think they win. GH is too often trying to make a statement. Sad because in the case of the 2007 corps I believe they were one of the very best performing drum corps we've seen in the 2000s. 

It was hardly even making a statement. It was just talking about what was happening in the show, during the show, non-stop. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

well looking at the recap....no tho i agree about the narration.

tied for GE, which the narration definitely played a part in. 2nd in brass, 3rd in ensemble, 4th in percussion. 3rd field visual, 2nd ensemble and 4th guard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well looking at the recap....no tho i agree about the narration.  tied for GE, which the narration definitely played a part in. 2nd in brass, 3rd in ensemble, 4th in percussion. 3rd field visual, 2nd ensemble and 4th guard.

Several areas they could have picked up tenths to get the point needed to win.  Beating the BD in CA would have been a nice win for any non CA corps.

18 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

These aren't unrealistic expectations. They should be able to find the best staff to make them competitive. If people are willing to accept the cadets being a 7th place corps, then i would suggest they raise their expectations. It is unfair to require members to pay the type of money their paying only to march in a sub par corps. I wouldn't do it. That's just me. 

When did 7th out of 40 become "sub par"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

When did 7th out of 40 become "sub par"?

About ten championships ago. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 6:52 PM, 2000Cadet said:

Lol, it wasn't meant as an insult. If you took it that way, oh well. I'm simply using the comments of previous years to temper the February excitement and bring people back down to earth. Cry me a river. I have plenty of reason to take this approach. 

you missed the point I was trying to make - I guess I wasn't being very clear

if anyone post about the Cadets you are 1. torn to shreds by the haters (if you're being positive in any way) and/or 2. torn to shreds by those accusing you of being "the borg" or jumping on the"hype train"

if you post negatively - well, then have at it

So that puts anyone not negative on the defensive and then everyone is pushed in their corresponding corners and this thread happens

I totally get those (like yourself) who are more "dubious" given the last few years - totally get that

What I do not get, nor will ever get, are those who are so clearly anti-Hopkins or anti-Cadets who lurk here in the Cadets thread constantly hating on everything - those folks need a new hobby IMO

Others here are advancing the idea/question of "what is success" for the Cadets in 2018

For me - a well received show and they move up a couple places. I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened - I still believe if they would have taken a different course during the final four weeks (edited and cleaned vs... added, added, added) the program would have grown during finals week instead of just sitting there. A couple programs ahead of them were very vulnerable if the right decisions would have been made. I'm sure that's part of what infuriated you and others

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

For me - a well received show and they move up a couple places. I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened - 

I can sense you're upset and so I don't know if you were trying to be funny here. But I must give credit where credit is due. That was seriously funny. I am still coughing up coffee that went down the wrong pipe from my reaction to it. You made my day. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

For me - a well received show and they move up a couple places. I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened

Thus, a new acronym was coined:

WWBFJD?     :8_laughing: