Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I still believe if they would have taken a different course during the final four weeks (edited and cleaned vs... added, added, added) the program would have grown during finals week instead of just sitting there. A couple programs ahead of them were very vulnerable if the right decisions would have been made. I'm sure that's part of what infuriated you and others

If one is taking flak, it generally means one is over the target.  One can either divert one's course to avoid the flak or one can open the bomb bay doors.  GH usually opens the bomb bay doors. However, instead of bombs, it's kitchen sinks.  Kinda like 2014?

you missed the point I was trying to make - I guess I wasn't being very clear

if anyone post about the Cadets you are 1. torn to shreds by the haters (if you're being positive in any way) and/or 2. torn to shreds by those accusing you of being "the borg" or jumping on the"hype train"

if you post negatively - well, then have at it

So that puts anyone not negative on the defensive and then everyone is pushed in their corresponding corners and this thread happens

I totally get those (like yourself) who are more "dubious" given the last few years - totally get that

What I do not get, nor will ever get, are those who are so clearly anti-Hopkins or anti-Cadets who lurk here in the Cadets thread constantly hating on everything - those folks need a new hobby IMO

Others here are advancing the idea/question of "what is success" for the Cadets in 2018

For me - a well received show and they move up a couple places. I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened - I still believe if they would have taken a different course during the final four weeks (edited and cleaned vs... added, added, added) the program would have grown during finals week instead of just sitting there. A couple programs ahead of them were very vulnerable if the right decisions would have been made. I'm sure that's part of what infuriated you and others

I do think if Jesus had done a back flip in the show, they might have moved up a spot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

When did 7th out of 40 become "sub par"?

when from 1983 to about 2015 you were usually in the top 4

• Like 2

For me - a well received show and they move up a couple places. I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened - I still believe if they would have taken a different course during the final four weeks (edited and cleaned vs... added, added, added) the program would have grown during finals week instead of just sitting there. A couple programs ahead of them were very vulnerable if the right decisions would have been made. I'm sure that's part of what infuriated you and others

I agree with this 1000%, and has been an ongoing issue for a few years now.

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I do think if Jesus had done a back flip in the show, they might have moved up a spot.

I believe the plan at one point was to use Blue Devil's tarp from "As Dreams Are Made On" and have Jesus walk across it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For those of you who know me, at least from my posts, I usually do not mind Jesus being inserted anywhere, but last year's show would be the exception. At first I thought the young man was depicting John the Baptist because there is a famous statue of John the Baptist that actually resembled the young man and John the Baptist holds a similar staff in his hand. Perhaps I should not be too critical of Jesus dancing. Over the years I have done many Christmas pageants, Passion Plays, and dramatic presentations of the Gospels, and when I've included the Wedding Feast of Cana, Jesus dances, and he's danced at the home of a tax collector, but he's dressed like a Jewish person from Nazareth, does a basic dance, and no back flips! Also, the plays involve children and Jesus is probably about twelve years old, so it's not controversial.

I do agree that last year, less could have been more for the Cadets. However, they are not the first corps that has added more when cleaning and paring down should take place, and sometimes adding rather than paring and cleaning has worked. It all depends on the other corps who place ahead and last year four of the corps that placed higher than Cadets had rather extravagant shows that clicked with audiences and judges and while two were not as ornate as some of their shows have been in the past, were in general well received by fans and judges. While 7th place was a disappointment for Cadets, the competition was stiffer.

Jeff Ream has suggested something I agree with--the playing field is different. When I first followed drum corps, it was said competition could be divided into three groups: 1-4 who were competing for the title, 5-9 who were shoe-in finalists, 10-12 who competed just to make finals. 10-12 changed to where maybe one spot would be open for finals. Last year the top eight were fiercely competitive and for next year, who knows what Blue Stars, Phantom, Crossmen, and Madison will bring to the table. I think for any corps to succeed, knowing the realities of the competitive landscape will be crucial.

I literally said the same thing last year and then back flip jesus happened - I still believe if they would have taken a different course during the final four weeks (edited and cleaned vs... added, added, added) the program would have grown during finals week instead of just sitting there. A couple programs ahead of them were very vulnerable if the right decisions would have been made. I'm sure that's part of what infuriated you and others

Agreed.  For years 2012 through 2015, the MMs were vastly outperforming the designs.  The path to improvement required tweaking the show to raise the GE ceiling.  It was sound thinking for those years.  The same strategy was put into overdrive in 2017.  Execution suffered because it was rarely allowed enough time to mature, and do justice to, any good design ideas.  By finals week, the frenzied rewrites and additions yielded some unfortunate results (e.g. BFJ).  I hope this year's design is done sooner and the kids are allowed a cleaner execution earlier in the season.  

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

Agreed.  For years 2012 through 2015, the MMs were vastly outperforming the designs.  The path to improvement required tweaking the show to raise the GE ceiling.  It was sound thinking for those years.  The same strategy was put into overdrive in 2017.  Execution suffered because it was rarely allowed enough time to mature, and do justice to, any good design ideas.  By finals week, the frenzied rewrites and additions yielded some unfortunate results (e.g. BFJ).  I hope this year's design is done sooner and the kids are allowed a cleaner execution earlier in the season.  

+1! From the little I've seen and heard of the program material, there seems to be lots of potential. Hearing that there are a good number of returns and that some of the key staff have been retained gives reason for optimism. I think it is sometimes easier for me because I follow the Cadets from a safe distance. I donate generously and consistently. Because of my life commitments, I don't do any of the hands-on stuff or attend social things. So I don't get hooked on the personalities and inside decisions. I also never marched (beyond a bad HS band 100 years ago). For me, I think YEA does a much better than average job of educating the kids and providing an amazing life experience (with all of life's imperfections). I also agree with many of the criticisms that others have expressed. But on balance, they've been my kind of corps and I tend to be glad that I take (small) part in their activities. 

Looking forward to 2018's program!

Edited by GlenI
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GlenI said:

I think YEA does a much better than average job of educating the kids and providing an amazing life experience (with all of life's imperfections). I also agree with many of the criticisms that others have expressed. But on balance, they've been my kind of corps and I tend to be glad that I take (small) part in their activities. 

Looking forward to 2018's program!

When you say "my kind of corps", it makes me think of the public attitude the Cadets had toward the competitive aspects of this activity... that there is a distinction between "winning" and "being the best".  Pursuing excellence, not numbers.  Composure during both good and bad moments.  Despite any situational challenges, there is an attitude that can elevate an individual beyond what he or she believed was possible.  Focusing on what made the Cadets special will be key to their comeback.  

• Like 1