Cadets 2018

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I think the groupings now are:  1. Blue Devils.  2-7. Bluecoats, SCV, Crown, Boston, Cavies, Cadets.  8-11. Blue Knights, Phantom, Crossmen, Blue Stars.  12.  12th seems to be the only open spot that is vied for by several corps.

BD has been so dominant, I can't see why they wouldn't be the overwhelming favorite in 2018.  Until something changes...nothing changes.

What the heck? I'm agreeing with HockeyDad all the time now!

HH

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem is, as i alluded to in an earlier post only Tim K really touched in....is expectation. The Cadets first zigged, then they zagged. For a period of close to 30 years they were a trend setter. Always raising the bar. Doing the  impossible. During the later portion of that amazing run, some design flaws started appearing that morphed tremendously in the last 5 years. And now, the corps that changed the game finds themselves consistently trying to catch up. And, while said here, sometimes bluntly, sometimes in veiled terms, major design choices are controlled by one person. A person who stated publicly he doesnt get WGI, which is the trend setting portion of the activity. With the incredible growth in WGI participation.....it became the driving force in design trends that carried over. Indoor guard started as an offshoot of what happened in the summer, just as band grew copying what corps did. But one person calls the shots, and it shows that person can't adapt to the times....or give up the control to let his people do it.And constantly trying to force a message into the shows draws major derision from fans.

allowing someone else to be the driving force in design is the best thing that could happen. That's why people left. it wasn't money. it was frustration in the process.

i rarely quote myself, but i thought of this later. While the Cadets run an indoor circuit, last I knew they were the only circuit that didn't set itself up to mirror the WGI system, and instead created their own sheets and classifications. I don't know of another circuit that does this. Some circuits may create sheets for non national classes ( aka anything below A), but for anything at a national class level, it's the WGI sheets

23 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Sorry, I stand by what I said. You may have thought it was a quality program. I did not. Cadets have built a legacy that they should maintain. BD is able to live up to theirs. Why shouldn't Cadets?  I will not dumb down my standards for Cadets because everyone else has chosen to. I know of what they're capable, and I won't settle for anything less. I'll always be critical when their shows seem as though they're begging for applause. When Cadets placed 4th in the past (90s), they were STILL the sh#t. 

Not asking you to confess any sins or anything,. It might be wise, however, to acknowledge the comprehensive turnover in staff along with the significant loss of veterans in evaluating the 2017 Cadets. Then there was the competition (though I'll never concede that Cavies deserved to place so high). Stand by what you said. But maybe give a younger Cadets corps last year a break as well.

HH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, GlenI said:

... For me, I think YEA does a much better than average job of educating the kids and providing an amazing life experience (with all of life's imperfections). I also agree with many of the criticisms that others have expressed. But on balance, they've been my kind of corps and I tend to be glad that I take (small) part in their activities. 

Looking forward to 2018's program!

Right. And by all accounts, the 2017 Cadets loved their season. All this sturm and drang about poor design choices and not meeting expectations and the kids loved it anyway. Believe it or not, something went right.

HH

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i rarely quote myself, but i thought of this later. While the Cadets run an indoor circuit, last I knew they were the only circuit that didn't set itself up to mirror the WGI system, and instead created their own sheets and classifications. I don't know of another circuit that does this. Some circuits may create sheets for non national classes ( aka anything below A), but for anything at a national class level, it's the WGI sheets

Major stretch to try to connect USBands indoor to anything, Cadets or otherwise. That circuit is a handful of shows for handful of local high schools.

As for your larger point about Cadets not hewing to the WGI trend ... Isn't that ironic? How much DCP has lamented the WGI influence in DCI. And how  much we've lamented the lemmings who follow along. Maybe the Cadets are zagging after all. Maybe y'all would just prefer more WGI in your DCI.

HH

Edited by glory

52 minutes ago, glory said:

What the heck? I'm agreeing with HockeyDad all the time now!

HH

Do you feel dirty?  Like you need to take a shower?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, glory said:

Not asking you to confess any sins or anything,. It might be wise, however, to acknowledge the comprehensive turnover in staff along with the significant loss of veterans in evaluating the 2017 Cadets. Then there was the competition (though I'll never concede that Cavies deserved to place so high). Stand by what you said. But maybe give a younger Cadets corps last year a break as well.

HH

While I agree with some of what you said, I was also part of a Cadets corps that went through a major staff turnover, but it was a staff turnover for the better (in my opinion, and the success of that season proves my point). Now I will grant you that they also had a relatively newer corps than we did; I firmly believe a better staff could have been obtained if certain circumstances hadn't happened. Complacency should not be the norm nowadays. Corps are getting better and more competitive through out each season. And as Jeff Ream said, Cadets now seem to be the corps that is constantly playing catchup. While we can blame the director for many of the staff leaving, the director should also be able to obtain staff that provides the type of education that the members need to stack up to the rest of the top 6.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glory said:

Major stretch to try to connect USBands indoor to anything, Cadets or otherwise. That circuit is a handful of shows for handful of local high schools.

As for your larger point about Cadets not hewing to the WGI trend ... Isn't that ironic? How much DCP has lamented the WGI influence in DCI. And how  much we've lamented the lemmings who follow along. Maybe the Cadets are zagging after all. Maybe y'all would just prefer more WGI in your DCI.

HH

well....no. the philosophy in all things YEA comes from one place.

personally i'm not a fan of all that has come from WGI. I like WGI, and I like DCI, and i like some of the similarities and dislike some. 

• Like 2