Cadets 2018

56 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

... While we can blame the director for many of the staff leaving, the director should also be able to obtain staff that provides the type of education that the members need to stack up to the rest of the top 6.

You know better than this. It was the same director who kept that same staff together for a decade - some more. And let's be honest about why they quit. It wasn't in protest about design or anything else. In two prominent cases it was for money. Another resulted from tragic family circumstance unrelated to the Cadets. 

I know. It's as easy as it is incorrect to blame everything on Hopkins. The truth is the wholesale staff turnover at Cadets last year wasn't because of him. I don't doubt that certain guilty parties are trying to make it sound as if it were. They're tapping into the conspiracy theories to disguise their own mercenary motives. Don't believe it. The Cadets have been among the corps with the most consistent staffing a long time. One unusual year doesn't change that.

HH

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, glory said:

You know better than this. It was the same director who kept that same staff together for a decade - some more. And let's be honest about why they quit. It wasn't in protest about design or anything else. In two prominent cases it was for money. Another resulted from tragic family circumstance unrelated to the Cadets. 

I know. It's as easy as it is incorrect to blame everything on Hopkins. The truth is the wholesale staff turnover at Cadets last year wasn't because of him. I don't doubt that certain guilty parties are trying to make it sound as if it were. They're tapping into the conspiracy theories to disguise their own mercenary motives. Don't believe it. The Cadets have been among the corps with the most consistent staffing a long time. One unusual year doesn't change that.

HH

actually money wasn't an overall determining factor. Just because one guy held it together doesn't mean things change. For one of them, it also took away day job responsibilities, so did they really come out ahead financially?

Sometimes, a team that has success has issues that pop up that keep the success from continuing. Could the money have been the icing on the cake? Possibly. But knowing the character of those involved, just assigning the blame solely on money is as ill informed as you claim it is to solely blame everything on George.

In fact.....if it's such a great place to work, why is YEA turnover so high? I mean Justin was set up to be the heir apparent. Think he uprooted the family to Concord solely for money? He aint making that much. I once left a job because the workplace environment that had once been great sucked after a while. Luckily my services allowed me to get more money at the new gig, but if the old place had continued to run as it was, I never would have left.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, glory said:

Right. And by all accounts, the 2017 Cadets loved their season. All this sturm and drang about poor design choices and not meeting expectations and the kids loved it anyway. Believe it or not, something went right.

Although is it possible that the members' expectations weren't as high as they could have been?

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually money wasn't an overall determining factor....

You're too smart to swallow that line. It's convenient after a lousy season to make it seem as if money weren't the case. But convenience isn't fact. And the anti-Hopkins echo chamber in DCP can't change the facts. Those two didn't show up at the banquet the day after finals 2016. Why? It wasn't because Boston hadn't called yet. And it wasn't because a number had just been floated. No. That deal had been offered and accept long before. Those guys checked out during the season and maybe even before competition began. Ask yourself what impact that had.

And don't try to compare apples and oranges, Cadets and YEA. Cadets have had one of the most stable staff in DCI for decades. That's another fact beyond dispute. 

HH

25 minutes ago, glory said:

You're too smart to swallow that line. It's convenient after a lousy season to make it seem as if money weren't the case. But convenience isn't fact. And the anti-Hopkins echo chamber in DCP can't change the facts. Those two didn't show up at the banquet the day after finals 2016. Why? It wasn't because Boston hadn't called yet. And it wasn't because a number had just been floated. No. That deal had been offered and accept long before. Those guys checked out during the season and maybe even before competition began. Ask yourself what impact that had.

And don't try to compare apples and oranges, Cadets and YEA. Cadets have had one of the most stable staff in DCI for decades. That's another fact beyond dispute. 

HH

I'm too connected to swallow that line. knowing people involved gets you a lot more information than DCP supposition and guesstimates. I knew it was coming 2 weeks before finals. While Hop has many flaws, he has dome several good things for the corps and DCI as well. yes, usually from me you'll hear about the negative. Those guys checked off when they saw the chaos that was going on around them. 

Yes, Cadets did have a stable staff. But, things don't always last forever, and sometimes things change for the worse. glory always went to one, non glorious moments was everyone else's fault as time went on. Eventually, you get tired of being the goat when everyone watching knows who is fully in charge. The Cadets had an incredible run as one of the absolute best in the game. The game changed......and the guy calling the shots couldn't adapt. changing endings every week or changing the concept and story every other regional doesn't work anymore, and time and time again, we've seen sometimes less is actually better than more. IMO,the moment the slide really started to avalanche was changing to the black uniforms

13 hours ago, glory said:

HH

You missed my point. I wasn't specifically blaming the director for everything. I was trying to say everyone on this site blames him for everything, and at the same time, should be able to lay the responsibility upon him to find the staff that is able to produce quality results....and I like how you conveniently omitted everything else in my post. And do we all know why the staff truly left (other than the staff member with the family circumstance)? Or is it just conjecturing? I believe its the latter. Regardless, The same director who was able to hold the staff together for a decade should also have the ability to find a great staff.

When you are in charge, you are in charge. You get credit for the successes. You take blame for the failures. And that's the way it should be. To blame your problems on your staff is small. It's what politicians do. Jeff Ream is right. Everybody knows who is in charge. That's where the buck stops. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

time and time again, we've seen sometimes less is actually better than more. IMO,the moment the slide really started to avalanche was changing to the black uniforms

The Cadets totally lost their identity with the black. This was a HUGE thing that cannot be understated.

They could have benefitted from the "less is more" approach last year.  But I do think they started to get their IDENTITY back last year, and now it's time to continue that.