Cadets 2018

One year doesn't make a trend. The same staff was together for a decade.

Then it wasn't. Why? Some here would have us believe that two of the defectors were entirely altruistic in taking the big bucks from Boston. That their conscience is what motivated them. Even as they shifted allegiance as the 2017 tour was just getting started. Should we conclude the same about the staff who migrated from Crown to Massachusetts? They too resigned in protest? The money was beside the point? Such thinking is naive at best.

Of course things change. Of course minds change. But acting as if the departures from Cadets were only about directors or direction is wrong. The reasons were many, and money was one.

HH

Edited by glory

6 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

When you are in charge, you are in charge. You get credit for the successes. You take blame for the failures. And that's the way it should be. To blame your problems on your staff is small. It's what politicians do. Jeff Ream is right. Everybody knows who is in charge. That's where the buck stops. 

Don't fall off your chair when I say this but ...

This is correct. The man in charge gets the blame for failure just as he deserves the credit for success. 

On balance, it's been success. That staff stayed together longer than most. When it came apart, it did as others were tearing (Crown) while others were buying (Boston). There also were extenuating circumstances beyond any director's control (terminal illness in the family).  We should also weigh in the balance that last year's staff returns.

HH

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I'm too connected to swallow that line. knowing people involved gets you a lot more information ...

Information isn't truth. No surprise that some of the people involved want to rationalize their riches so we might think it wasn't about money.

HH

Is this a" Cadets 2018 " thread discussion, or some previous year's Cadets thread for venting and discussion ?  Methinks its become the latter of late with lots of complaints and finger pointings about recent Cadets underperformances. Any chance this thread can be put back to a more forward looking discussion of " The Cadets 2018", or is this perhaps asking for too much here on this thread ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, craiga said:

I'm not going to re-litigate this, but anyone who thinks that the staff people who went to BAC were motivated only by money are simply whistling past the graveyard. It is disingenuous to suggest that all is well in Allentown. 

Not well in Allentown? By what standard? Principal staff return. Members return at a very high rate. 

I know this board would rather that it weren't true, that all the DCP complaints about the 2017 show would manifest in mass defections from Allentown. Not happening. Not so bad there.

HH

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, glory said:

I know this board would rather  that all the DCP complaints about the 2017 show would manifest in mass defections from Allentown.

Care to repost a single solitary post from anyone on DCP that ever stated herre on DCP that " the Cadets 2017 show will manifest intself in mass defections from Allentown" ?  Its bogus. You won't find it. it exists only in your cynical, jaded mind. Time to get a new narrative to push, as this one you are simply making up on here. The world does not revolve around the Cadets, GH, and their alums/. fans. Most Drum corps fans wish the Cadets well. There is no hoping the Cadets fail  in most quarters, including here on DCP. Most focus on their own Corps hoped for success, my friend.

Edited by BRASSO

4 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I will write you a check for a million dollars if you can repost a single solitary post from anyone on DCP that ever stated herre on DCP ...

If I said I doubt that I could cash that check even if you ever did write it, would I have to quote a post from DCP for my synthesis to be correct?

Also, I'm pretty sure you're not talking about Cadets 2018.

HH

Back on topic ...

Cadets enter 2018 off an odd 2017 year characterized by a dearth of veterans and substantial turnover in senior staff. A year ago they were a young corps with a staff that had never worked together.

Yet the corps mostly held its own in a 2017 summer in which the competition was particularly good and despite the unforeseen consequences imposed by the license holder on Cadets musical options. The members gave 2017 a strong thumbs up for satisfaction, which has translated into a high percentage of vets returning for another year at Cadets in 2018. Last year's senior staff returns as well, this time unencumbered by the restrictions of the Bernstein family.

All told, things are looking a lot brighter this spring than they did a year ago.

HH 

Edited by glory
  • Like 3