Cadets 2018

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The poster child for bad behavior is once again lecturing us ^

folks leave and arrive at organizations for a variety of reasons, but anyone suggesting Cadets have a higher level of churn than most is either misinformed or being dishonest 

There was money involved but also a promise of creative control, plus personal reasons, for the music guys heading to Boston

thats fine and part of the game

however the illegitimate “recruiting” which followed that winter plus the behavior of a small number of Boston “fans” (^) hasn’t been as impressive from the outside

cadets 2018 will be fine; the 2017 corps had a far superior experience (per the members) than the 2016 corps who’s vaunted staff supplied plenty of ego and toxic attitude but not much else  - that points to brighter days ahead 

this staff that Boston paid heavy for wasn’t that successful frankly compared to other Cadets teams, in the end we may be surprised by how it all works out. Cadets needed a shake up, and the can is shaken. They frankly bought the weak links from both Cadets and crown - it’s nit like they ended up with crowns brass guys and Cadets drill guy. They did aquire crowns guard and movement team, THAT was a get 

all jmo 

i think the Cadets do have some great opportunities going forward. time will tell.

12 hours ago, glory said:

Back on topic ...

Cadets enter 2018 off an odd 2017 year characterized by a dearth of veterans and substantial turnover in senior staff. A year ago they were a young corps with a staff that had never worked together.

Yet the corps mostly held its own in a 2017 summer in which the competition was particularly good and despite the unforeseen consequences imposed by the license holder on Cadets musical options. The members gave 2017 a strong thumbs up for satisfaction, which has translated into a high percentage of vets returning for another year at Cadets in 2018. Last year's senior staff returns as well, this time unencumbered by the restrictions of the Bernstein family.

All told, things are looking a lot brighter this spring than they did a year ago.

HH 

I'm hoping for much, MUCH better year than 2017, 2016, and 2015 combined. I wish they would become competitive again. But time will tell.

• Like 4

there's enough negative energy in the world that ideally drum corps replaces...here's hoping for a retooled , kick ###, 1982 like year , where the next chapter of the Cadets legacy again elevates the activity..peace      

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Invictus said:

I am a registered floating, vocational, vegetarian, meat-loving  psychologist with green pants and a tan shirt.

I do text message consultations.  One Big Mac per consultation.  However, I do not accept Sushi-based insurance payment plans. 

I am available for consultation for the above described fee. 

I want to give that Mac Junior a try.

The "Big Mac Experience" with fewer calories and less fat.  :8_laughing:

14 hours ago, jonwoody said:

Well now that I read backwards and got caught up with what I missed I am sorry I did. I will hibernate till the season starts and any "Big" news I am sure someone will send me a mail.  I am shocked..well not really lol.. by the behavior of some people after all these years. Maybe if we stuck to the topics and we weren't allowed to wander off the road to attack others we all would have better and more constructive discussions than acting like 6 year olds in adult bodies. See you in May==be.:fight:

It's a shame this site doesn't have a moderator!

4 hours ago, dans said:

It's a shame this site doesn't have a moderator!

It's a shame board subscribers complain instead of reporting inappropriate activity.

Cleaned up and issue addressed, but this thread is at serious risk of being closed if it can't keep on topic. fair, final warning.

Cadets 2018 - for the true fans of the activity, I doubt they will disappoint.  Discuss.

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

It's a shame board subscribers complain instead of reporting inappropriate activity.

Cleaned up and issue addressed, but this thread is at serious risk of being closed if it can't keep on topic. fair, final warning.

Cadets 2018 - for the true fans of the activity, I doubt they will disappoint.  Discuss.

You when you see Johnz as the last post that you missed something big lol

Were the rumors true that the deal with Bernstein was ended after last year?  Its hush in Hop land and it seems odd if you knew youd be doing 3 years worth.

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

You when you see Johnz as the last post that you missed something big lol

Were the rumors true that the deal with Bernstein was ended after last year?  Its hush in Hop land and it seems odd if you knew youd be doing 3 years worth.

I assumed they still have the rights but chose to go in a different direction. 

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

On 2/17/2018 at 3:05 PM, George Dixon said: cadets 2018 will be fine; the 2017 corps had a far superior experience (per the members) than the 2016 corps who’s vaunted staff supplied plenty of ego and toxic attitude but not much else  - that points to brighter days ahead 

this staff that Boston paid heavy for wasn’t that successful frankly compared to other Cadets teams, in the end we may be surprised by how it all works out. Cadets needed a shake up, and the can is shaken. They frankly bought the weak links from both Cadets and crown - it’s nit like they ended up with crowns brass guys and Cadets drill guy. They did aquire crowns guard and movement team, THAT was a get 

I toured with The Cadets in 2016 and almost every year 2005-2016. Boston hired some GREAT instructors. Gino, Steve, Colin, Iian  and the rest are the best of the best when it comes to teaching. I know for a fact they care about the kids music education, their health, performance and the kids overall drum corps experience. These are great guys and great educators. You won't find a smarter or more passionate group teaching in Drum Corps. They also have a synergy from working so many years together. Boston has one hell of a Music staff. 

As for the Cadets- I don't know much of the new staff but, Tom Aungst  is on that Mount Rushmore of great Percussion instructors with Collin and Beddis etc..

Edited by boxingfred
Quoted wrong person
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

I toured with The Cadets in 2016 and almost every year 2005-2016. Boston hired some GREAT instructors. Gino, Steve, Colin, Iian  and the rest are the best of the best when it comes to teaching. I know for a fact they care about the kids music education, their health, performance and the kids overall drum corps experience. These are great guys and great educators. You won't find a smarter or more passionate group teaching in Drum Corps. They also have a synergy from working so many years together. Boston has one hell of a Music staff. 

As for the Cadets- I don't know much of the new staff but, Tom Aungst  is on that Mount Rushmore of great Percussion instructors with Collin and Beddis etc..

What you quoted was not me

• Like 2