Cadets 2018

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

a set from the 2018 show via pyware on a wall mounted screen

you can see the 12 props at a diagonal across the field - with 12 members on them, look like weapons/guard members

as someone else mentioned this appears to be from the opening of the show

Re: the shako mockup - looks good, I'm glad they are "going for it" design wise but also appreciate the head gear vs. the lack of head gear in 2017

Re: 2000 - I was actually in the stands at 2 of the first shows that summer. It was interesting because the crowd was kind of quiet until the show-me section of the show, but you could tell the staff kept looking back to the stands nervously to gauge a response. The reaction grew all summer until the program became a love-fest with the crowd with standing-Os after each song

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah that show in June...crickets. by East...game over

That crowd (in my view) is what really helped us perform our show 100% night after night. Just knowing they were gonna go apesh!t over that show was my primary motivation for performing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What do you think are the positives and negatives for the Cadets by starting tour in California?

I hope the members really enjoy being out there -

I think it will be positive for them to get early reads on the show.

14 minutes ago, c mor said:

What do you think are the positives and negatives for the Cadets by starting tour in California?

Positives: 

1. Not retracing the exact same tour as the prior two years
  2. Not competing head-to-head with the same corps nearly every show because they are also on the same tour as the last two years
  3. Seeing a part of the country not familiar with (even if it's just off in the distance, or from a bus window)
  4. No Florida (and its sulfurous drinking water)
  5. Giving my brother in Seattle a chance to see his nephew
  6. Giving my son a look at some of the locations he might be going to college in the fall

Negatives:

1. Clifton show will probably take a hit in attendance
  2. No chance for my son to get mango pie at a certain restaurant in one of the Disney parks in Florida
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, c mor said:

I hope the members really enjoy being out there -

I think it will be positive for them to get early reads on the show.

I believe the west coast shows tend to have full panels earlier in the season.  Like many sports, if one wants to get better, it's best to compete against those who are better (not worse).  Who better to compete against than Concord?  It is a far journey.  We'll miss them for the early summer, on the east coast.  

• Like 1

Can't offer any empirical evidence to prove it, but I'd guess it helped recruiting. For someone on the fence about which corps, California might well have been the draw versus same old, same old. Certainly reports of strong vet retention and overall talent indicate the kids saw something positive in the Cadets story. California likely was one element. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eleran said:

Positives: 

Negatives:

1. Clifton show will probably take a hit in attendance
  2. No chance for my son to get mango pie at a certain restaurant in one of the Disney parks in Florida

We have some Disney parks here too. I wonder if he could get a mango pie at one of the Disney parks here?

On 3/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, 2000Cadet said:

Care to explain what this is? 

This flag was not presented for the usual reason. It was one of the flags that flew over The U.S. Capitol the day that The Holy Name Cadets won their sixth American Legion National Title at Convention Hall (the finals was an indoor show) in Atlantic City, N.J. ,1957. Fifty years later at the same site The Cadets who marched in that show gathered for the 50th Anniversary of "their" championship. It was a three-day event and nearly every Cadet who marched in that show was present for the anniversary festivities. At the banquet on Saturday evening, held on the exact same floor on which they had competed,  Cadet Alumnus Ken Shedosky called the Drum Major (Alumnus Tony Bartello), and the Section Leaders (Percussion Sergeant Alumnus Bob Peterson, Soprano Sergeant Alumnus Donald Angelica, French Horn Sergeant Alumnus John DeOld, and Baritone Sergeant Alumnus Dave Shaw) to the speakers podium to be recognized. Each one of those individuals was then presented with a flag that had flown over The Capitol on that momentous day fifty years prior (with a certificate of authenticity). The flag shown in the photo was the one presented to Dave Shaw (who coincidentally is the Cadet writing this post). I had the flag placed in a display case and formally presented it to The Cadets to be placed on display in the foyer of their office headquarters in Allentown, where to the best of my knowledge it still remains. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, glory said:

As for attendance, seems likely the draw won't be as strong without the Cadets. Only natural. Not that it won't be a good show and a good crowd.

exactly. It's still a nice line up - hope it sells out!

What the heck just happened? I’m pretty sure most corps sell less tickets to their “home show” it they can’t be there. This isn’t exactly rocket science or “elitism” - it’s somewhat common sense 

• Like 1