Cadets 2018

I'm probably going to be flamed like crazy for this, but here goes...

They should roll out West Side Story.  Seriously.  

They last did it in '09.  They still have the drill and the music from that year on hand; let 'em dust off that version and put it back on the field.  They still have their classic unis somewhere in storage.  They have a Tresona executive on their new BOD, who can surely work something out w/r/t royalties.  

Properly executed, the show would make finals.  It wouldn't be top six, but as Jeff points out, placement is irrelevant at the moment.  

Right now they desperately need a hug from the fans.  The fans very badly want to be able to respond in kind.  Bringing back a classic would make that a whole lot easier.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

placement right now is not the concern. survival is

Exactly.

I remember DCA's Rochester Crusaders coming back in 2005 from an inactive year, and their '05 show theme was "We Go On."

A title like that might be appropriate here, too.

5 minutes ago, Rusty said:

They last did it in '09.  They still have the drill and the music from that year on hand; let 'em dust off that version and put it back on the field.  They still have their classic unis somewhere in storage.  They have a Tresona executive on their new BOD, who can surely work something out w/r/t royalties.  

Properly executed, the show would make finals.  It wouldn't be top six, but as Jeff points out, placement is irrelevant at the moment.  

Right now they desperately need a hug from the fans.  The fans very badly want to be able to respond in kind.  Bringing back a classic would make that a whole lot easier.  

No flames here.

Whether it be WSS or another classic, if they are ever gonna do a "back to the future" type of show, this very well might be the best time for it.

Whether it works from a logistics standpoint... basically learning a new show so late in the game here for 2018... that's another question.

11 minutes ago, Rusty said:

oh gosh no... musically the 2018 corps is extremely strong - the show they have prepped needs "adjusted"

and the corps is NOT in risk of "not making finals" - zero member defections that I'm aware of 

they don't need to "learn a new show" and they have very strong arrangers in place

57 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

placement right now is not the concern. survival is

I get that placement isn't the "big priority" but this is a little too dramatic - the corps will be fine and survive just fine. IMHO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Considering the deal with the Bernstein estate is no longer a deal, I think we can move along.

Just now, mingusmonk said:

Considering the deal with the Bernstein estate is no longer a deal, I think we can move along.

c2 is playing Bernstein this year - OTWF

But no, Cadets will not play WSS (although I understand wanting a "blast from the past")

I like their current rep with OHN put in for the ballad. JMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Lets do Happy Birthday To Me. Lets get serious. WSS would be disastrous. Be there done that. 1984 was a CLASSIC. The other years...ehhh. Stick to what they had planned in 2018.

Edited by afd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

oh gosh no... musically the 2018 corps is extremely strong - the show they have prepped needs "adjusted"

and the corps is NOT in risk of "not making finals" - zero member defections that I'm aware of 

they don't need to "learn a new show" and they have very strong arrangers in place

I think they should replace Sound of Silence with Praying by Kesha and make the show about finding your voice. This would allow them to retain elements of the show already in place and change the message from "nobody is listening" to making yourself heard

• Like 1

I think drum corps is a pretty poor medium for conveying any message on a delicate or nuanced subject, or any message at all really, and that to try and do so would likely end up cringe-worthy at best.  If the Board of Directors feels it is important to have a PR firm manage its public communications on the subject (a decision with which I agree), then I don't think they will want to undermine that process by turning their show designers loose to send their own message. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1