Cadets 2018

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think drum corps is a pretty poor medium for conveying any message on a delicate or nuanced subject, or any message at all really, and that to try and do so would likely end up cringe-worthy at best.  If the Board of Directors feels it is important to have a PR firm manage its public communications on the subject (a decision with which I agree), then I don't think they will want to undermine that process by turning their show designers loose to send their own message. 

I was thinking about this earlier today.  Originally, I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to keep the same show and make it about the victims.  But after considering it more, I don't believe USING the show this way is appropriate.  And I think it would incredibly difficult (or impossible) to do it in a tasteful way.

So, I agree with what you're saying, for sure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think drum corps is a pretty poor medium for conveying any message on a delicate or nuanced subject, or any message at all really, and that to try and do so would likely end up cringe-worthy at best.  If the Board of Directors feels it is important to have a PR firm manage its public communications on the subject (a decision with which I agree), then I don't think they will want to undermine that process by turning their show designers loose to send their own message. 

I mean regardless of what they end up doing, the music will stay the same with the exception of Sound of Silence. They're not scrapping the whole show, just the title and the opening song. I'm just thinking of ways they could do just that 

20 minutes ago, JoshClements403 said:

, the music will stay the same with the exception of Sound of Silence. They're not scrapping the whole show, just the title and the opening song.  

Has that been confirmed, or is this your speculation ?. Just askin', as most Corps are so silent on themes/ music these days now that we fans rarely hear what the  entire music selections  are going to be in April with a lot of Corps. For example, I had not heard what the music closer was/ is going to be for The Cadets for 2018 to even begin with. Its entirely possible however that the Cadets released earlier what their entire music selections for this summer was to be, but I simply missed that press release. So if you ( or anyone else ) can confirm that only the music opener will musically be replaced now, that would be helpful for us fans to know, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Eleran said:

for the love of God, this issue needs to be avoided at all costs. I can hear the critics saying they're pandering for support, exploitation and worse

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Has that been confirmed, or is this your speculation ?. Just askin', as most Corps are so silent on themes/ music these days now that we fans rarely hear what the  entire music selections  are going to be in April with a lot of Corps. For example, I had not heard what the music closer was/ is going to be for The Cadets for 2018 to even begin with. Its entirely possible however that the Cadets released earlier what their entire music selections for this summer was to be, but I simply missed that press release. So if you ( or anyone else ) can confirm that only the music opener will musically be replaced now, that would be helpful for us fans to know, imo

If there was ever the perfect setting for a corps to tackle John Cage "4:33," this is it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sideways said:

If there was ever the perfect setting for a corps to tackle John Cage "4:33," this is it.

Whatever The 2018 Cadets decide to do for their theme/ music, they should stay totally clear from any fan thinking their 2018 theme/ music has even the remotest connection to what is going on off the field there.  But.. its their choice, and nobody there is about to ask anyone on here for our thoughts on this.. nor should they... lol

• Thanks 1

The Cadets should concentrate on good music and marching and leave the messaging to overzealous hashtaggers on Twitter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think they should do what they want to do

and change as little of the music as possible, what I’ve heard sounds really great

and probably avoid the topic given the proximity of timing, maybe in some future season they can make a statement or whatever 

just have a great summer for the members. - all I’m hoping for 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

So if you ( or anyone else ) can confirm that only the music opener will musically be replaced now ...

(A) To my knowledge, Cadets have only formally announced (i) Sound of Silence, (ii) Sensemayá and (iii) Buyan, by John Psathas, which presumably would be used for a percussion feature.  Early on, they also mentioned Alexander Nevsky, but that was dropped.  There is additional source music which I've seen mentioned on another site, but since Cadets haven't announced it I won't type it here.

(B)  The only public discussion by Cadets of any replacement were the reporter's tweets quoting the YEA! chairman of the Board, who indicated they would be discussing options for possibly replacing Sound of Silence at the design meeting last night.

(C) I break up the music book into 6 parts.  If they choose to delete SoS, it would take rewriting of the following to completely remove it from the brass book:

• ~25 seconds of Part 1
  • ~12 seconds of Part 3, or potentially the entire 66 seconds
  • ~82 seconds of Part 5
  • a few thematic quotes in Part 6

(D) On top of the brass book, there may be additional front ensemble material that would have to go.  Also, the four vocalists were primarily focused on SoS, so I don't know what the corps will choose to do with them.   Overall concept design would naturally have to be refocused as well, and drill probably rewritten.  I don't know whether the planned props and/or costumes would be affected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Eleran said:

(A) To my knowledge, Cadets have only formally announced (i) Sound of Silence, (ii) Sensemayá and (iii) Buyan, by John Psathas, which presumably would be used for a percussion feature.  Early on, they also mentioned Alexander Nevsky, but that was dropped.  There is additional source music which I've seen mentioned on another site, but since Cadets haven't announced it I won't type it here.

(B)  The only public discussion by Cadets of any replacement were the reporter's tweets quoting the YEA! chairman of the Board, who indicated they would be discussing options for possibly replacing Sound of Silence at the design meeting last night.

(C) I break up the music book into 6 parts.  If they choose to delete SoS, it would take rewriting of the following to completely remove it from the brass book:

• ~25 seconds of Part 1
  • ~12 seconds of Part 3, or potentially the entire 66 seconds
  • ~82 seconds of Part 5
  • a few thematic quotes in Part 6

(D) On top of the brass book, there may be additional front ensemble material that would have to go.  Also, the four vocalists were primarily focused on SoS, so I don't know what the corps will choose to do with them.   Overall concept design would naturally have to be refocused as well, and drill probably rewritten.  I don't know whether the planned props and/or costumes would be affected.

I wasn't aware of Buyan, awesome!  John Psatahs is a fantastic percussion composer and a few of his works have found their way onto the field.  Plant Damnation a few times, most of note being Boston Crusaders in 2010 as well as One Study, One Summary in Bluecoats drum feature last year.  Looking forward to hearing that.