Cadets 2018

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

It's not just about the difficulty to relearn.  It's about the musical integrity and flow of the show.  

I would argue that Cadet shows often have more musical integrity and flow than anyone else's.  However, shows WITHOUT much musical integrity seem to be getting recognized more and more by the judges lately.  I don't really care what the judges think.  I'm just saying.

Also, by discarding some of the thematic elements from the old show title, we might actually see MORE musical integrity as a result.  

They needed to change it. It was setting them up for some unwelcomed, off-field chatter. I don’t think it will be too difficult to swap out. If they want to keep with the Simon and Garfunkel, they could try Scarbough Fair. Think it’s the same key, has a similar mood and tempo but a much better title and lyrical content considering the situation. It’s based on a traditional song so they may be able to avoid clearing a late season copyright (if it’s even an issue). Maybe even keep the vocal thing and then give the show a generic title like Soundscape with a show bio that states the goals of what they wanted to achieve on the field as opposed to a narrative

On 4/17/2018 at 9:44 AM, George Dixon said:

oh gosh no... musically the 2018 corps is extremely strong - the show they have prepped needs "adjusted"

and the corps is NOT in risk of "not making finals" - zero member defections that I'm aware of 

they don't need to "learn a new show" and they have very strong arrangers in place

I really don't like your use of 'member defections'

10 hours ago, skevinp said:

It's not just about the difficulty to relearn.  It's about the musical integrity and flow of the show.  

agreed....and trust me, I saw all 7 endings. few flowed

The Mandarin's The Sound of Silence last year was great, and while I'm sure the Cadets version would be as well, not having a repeat of a track back-to-back years would be nice. 

I am a fan of both Bluecoats and Cadets 160 BPM  in 2010 and 2011, but would liked there to have been more time in between.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:10 PM, skevinp said:

That seems like too much to change.  If the members can endure the hardship this whole thing has put on them, then we the fans should have the maturity to accept and appreciate the music for what it can be and not try to make it about something it isn't about.  

Agree.  Paul Simon wrote the song, and even he is not sure what he meant at the time.  It's been beautiful music for over 50 years.  To me, the song speaks to the lack of communication between people, which (if you are going to go down that road) seems highly appropriate under the circumstances.

• Like 1