Cadets 2018

On 4/18/2018 at 11:09 AM, Jeff Ream said:

agreed....and trust me, I saw all 7 endings. few flowed

i was corrected tonight by a member it was 9 endings....thanks direction change king!

6 hours ago, Icer said:

Agree.  Paul Simon wrote the song, and even he is not sure what he meant at the time.  It's been beautiful music for over 50 years.  To me, the song speaks to the lack of communication between people, which (if you are going to go down that road) seems highly appropriate under the circumstances.

Art Garfunkel has been quoted as the song being just that, also said something to the effect that there are emotional walls between people as well.

Dump the depressing show theme and music.  Bring back Elk's Parade.   (yeah, in some parallel universe maybe)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eleran said:

Just food for thought, since people are discussing the show's music and themes:

"Sensemayá ... is based on the poem of the same title by the Cuban poet Nicolás Guillén ... [which] evokes a ritual Afro-Caribbean chant performed while killing a snake."

Classic!

54 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Dump the depressing show theme and music.  Bring back Elk's Parade.   (yeah, in some parallel universe maybe)

I'm pretty sure I remember GH talking about Elk's Parade in a derogatory way.  I don't think he would have ever wanted them to play that again.  So, in some ways, maybe it would be fun for them to bring it back, in a modern way!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eleran said:

Just food for thought, since people are discussing the show's music and themes:

"Sensemayá ... is based on the poem of the same title by the Cuban poet Nicolás Guillén ... [which] evokes a ritual Afro-Caribbean chant performed while killing a snake."

When Cavies played Sensemaya it seemed like such a buzzkill (to me). Ugh. I was hoping to not see that particular piece again. 

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

When Cavies played Sensemaya it seemed like such a buzzkill (to me). Ugh. I was hoping to not see that particular piece again. 

The Cavies version always felt to me like a car with accelerator trouble - stop, start, stop, start... I hope the Cadets version has more flow to it.

Mike

Played Sensemaya with the WCU Wind Ensemble back in the day- an amazing piece to perform when done well. Saw Huntingtown HS perform excerpts a few years ago in their field program and it was quite good and exciting.

If you have the rhythm flowing throughout and not halting and jerking... it works. If you have the Tubas playing the melody in the beginning like it should be played, it works. If the LB's play the ostinato well... it works.

There's nothing else out there quite like it. Very unique.