Cadets 2018

6 hours ago, BigW said:

Played Sensemaya with the WCU Wind Ensemble back in the day- an amazing piece to perform when done well. Saw Huntingtown HS perform excerpts a few years ago in their field program and it was quite good and exciting.

If you have the rhythm flowing throughout and not halting and jerking... it works. If you have the Tubas playing the melody in the beginning like it should be played, it works. If the LB's play the ostinato well... it works.

There's nothing else out there quite like it. Very unique.

I have a vague memory of what Sensamaya sounds like. I've only seen videos of Cavies playing it since i hadn't heard of drum corps before 1996.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

I have a vague memory of what Sensamaya sounds like. I've only seen videos of Cavies playing it since i hadn't heard of drum corps before 1996.

Crown played it in 2009, the year they wore green. You might remember it better from then

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

There's a Bernstein rendering out there with the score which is very illuminating, and one of Dudamel conducting which is quite dynamic.

When you perform this piece, you go places you just won't go anywhere else. Thinking... when we did this there may have been 5 Cadets in the Wind Ensemble (2 French horn, 2 Percussion, one Clarinet). Also maybe some Crossmen, Westshore...

5 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Crown played it in 2009, the year they wore green. You might remember it better from then

You're right! I forgot about that. I guess I didn't really pay much attention. 

Sorry, haven't been keeping much track of DCI lately. 

I've noticed the staff has decided to scratch the show title as well as the first musical selection. Also noticed Sensamaya is on the repertoire. I remember this being in the 2009 Crown Grass/Greener show. 

Has there been a new show title released yet? 

The Sensamaya music sounds mysterious, mischievous, etc.

Seems like it would go well with Charles Ives' "The Unanswered Question". Seems more appropriate of a title in any case.

Good luck, Cadets, I'm sure you will have a great season despite. Can't wait to see what the staff comes up with.

11 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Sorry, haven't been keeping much track of DCI lately. 

I've noticed the staff has decided to scratch the show title as well as the first musical selection. Also noticed Sensamaya is on the repertoire. I remember this being in the 2009 Crown Grass/Greener show. 

Has there been a new show title released yet? 

The Sensamaya music sounds mysterious, mischievous, etc.

Seems like it would go well with Charles Ives' "The Unanswered Question". Seems more appropriate of a title in any case.

Good luck, Cadets, I'm sure you will have a great season despite. Can't wait to see what the staff comes up with.

No announcement yet on revisions to the show. I'm sure it will come soon as they have a camp coming up!

• Like 1

yeah...if I am the design team, i take my time to make it right, and not just rush it out there

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah...if I am the design team, i take my time to make it right, and not just rush it out there

exactly...rushing things has not worked well as of late either...

• Like 2

Yup take your time. I would imagine they will test one or two ideas at the new camp and then take it from there, designing between then and spring training

the corps design team has a deep arsenal of “at the ready” components they could easily drop in and use

just Drew the arranger can draw from vast BOA work, perhaps his wonderful arrangements for Reagan TX this past fall, I loved that show - it could easily be ported over to this idiom imo 

• Like 2

Don't know when they'll announce, but I can tell you that Cadets will be playing some new music this weekend at camp that to my mind is superior musically to the Sound of Silenceand is much more likely to appeal to the younger generations than a rehashed early 60's folk rock song.  Can't wait to hear Drew Shanefield's arrangement.

• Like 6