Cadets 2018

47 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Don't know when they'll announce, but I can tell you that Cadets will be playing some new music this weekend at camp that to my mind is superior musically to the Sound of Silenceand is much more likely to appeal to the younger generations than a rehashed early 60's folk rock song.  Can't wait to hear Drew Shanefield's arrangement.

Sounds awesome. Hope they have a great weekend 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Yup take your time. I would imagine they will test one or two ideas at the new camp and then take it from there, designing between then and spring training

the corps design team has a deep arsenal of “at the ready” components they could easily drop in and use

just Drew the arranger can draw from vast BOA work, perhaps his wonderful arrangements for Reagan TX this past fall, I loved that show - it could easily be ported over to this idiom imo 

Drew is such an underrated arranger imo, and yes I loved that Reagan show as well.

• Like 2

Won't give away anything but the new piece replacing Sound of Silence is going to turn this show into an emotional powerhouse. Very powerful piece of music, definitely not what I was expecting

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JoshClements403 said:

Won't give away anything but the new piece replacing Sound of Silence is going to turn this show into an emotional powerhouse. Very powerful piece of music, definitely not what I was expecting

Looking forward to some more good news coming out of there.

25 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

31445168_10156481855366349_7089394682316

Our last camp concluded with a moment of unity as members and alumni spanning over 50 years sang O' Holy Name together. It was a special moment and we are very humbled at the amount of support this weekend.

This is what is needed right now. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Narrow said:

https://www.dci.org/news/cadets-to-forgo-west-coast-portion-of-2018-tour

Makes sense I guess. Change of pace is always nice for the vets and staff though, so maybe another year.

This could be disappointing for drum corps fans on the west coast that will not see the Cadets, but it make financial sense. If they appear in, as the post says “nearly the same number of shows” that means about the same amount in performance fees. If they replace the west coast with New England, most likely that would mean more revenue from July 4th parades since there are so many parades in the area. It also cuts the expense of travel which given what could be potential financial challenges, especially anything unforeseen,  is wise.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tim K said:

This could be disappointing for drum corps fans on the west coast that will not see the Cadets, but it make financial sense. If they appear in, as the post says “nearly the same number of shows” that means about the same amount in performance fees. If they replace the west coast with New England, most likely that would mean more revenue from July 4th parades since there are so many parades in the area. It also cuts the expense of travel which given what could be potential financial challenges, especially anything unforeseen,  is wise.

Without knowing all the details it seems like a smart decision given what we do know 

a grown up type decision 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Without knowing all the details it seems like a smart decision given what we do know 

a grown up type decision 

Exactly! Adult decisions made by responsible adults. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

a grown up type decision 

From who I spoke with Saturday, George, a lot of things are going to be put into place structurally that should have already been there. When everything finally gets going- it'll make things a lot better for everyone in just about every way possible. They have good dedicated people there with the knowledge to make things right being turned loose.

I think they were really excited about people showing up. I know it was said this was a great thing to do and were amazed. The transparency so far really has made a difference in so many ways from what I observed.

• Like 3