Cadets 2018

15 hours ago, jonwoody said:

been away a while and thought cadets had a new director yet none listed on the website. What have I missed???

I believe the old board had nominated Rich Hammond at first, but since they resigned the new board is probably reviewing if they want Rich as the guy or somebody else...

34 minutes ago, cube said:

Can someone clarify to me how show design will be handled this year? Did they already have a full show in place? I saw parts of the announcement were withdrawn, so I'm not sure if the actual theme is staying the same, or what.

A full show is in place, however, some important things have changed (in my opinion, for the better). That's all the information I can offer at this point.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 5:17 PM, Icer said:

Well, Penn may feel the need to deflect a bit since it took them until 6 weeks ago to get around to making it against the rules for faculty and students to have sex. How was this OK before?

http://www.thedp.com/article/2018/03/pritchett-provost-consensual-sex-policy-faculty-undergraduates-ivy-league-shift-upenn-philadelphia

It wasn’t, but their hypocrisy fails to excuse the alleged behavior of Hopkins and those who covered for him. 

49 minutes ago, afd said:

Fuse TV has been showing Battle of the Bands the past weeks. It’s soooo weird to see Hopkins talk about the Cadets. 

When I saw one episode of it before all of this hit, I found it kind of freakish to hear him talk about anything. :blink:

I will put this here also since it is getting buried in the issue thread and is pertinent to the 2018 Cadets

• Thanks 8

11 hours ago, wallace said:

It wasn’t, but their hypocrisy fails to excuse the alleged behavior of Hopkins and those who covered for him. 

One of the most unfortunate aspects of this whole episode is that there have been assumptions made about who knew what and who covered for whom. I find it hard to believe that NO ONE who was around when the events are alleged to have taken place other than the victims was aware of what had happened. Do you realize how careful someone would have to be for there to have never been a witness, never a rumor or a story?  People who knew or suspected at the time (other than the victims) and said nothing are should be ashamed of themselves. I find it much easier to believe that people who came on the scene more recently (like pretty much everyone who works for YEA, volunteers for YEA, current Cadets, Etc) would have been as surprised by any of this as the average person on the street. Even in a #MeToo time frame, there is a difference between not assuming the worst of people and covering for them.  They may be indistinguishable in the middle of a media vortex, but as time goes by they may be seen in a different light by those who care about the truth. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icer said:

One of the most unfortunate aspects of this whole episode is that there have been assumptions made about who knew what and who covered for whom. I find it hard to believe that NO ONE who was around when the events are alleged to have taken place other than the victims was aware of what had happened. Do you realize how careful someone would have to be for there to have never been a witness, never a rumor or a story?  People who knew or suspected at the time (other than the victims) and said nothing are should be ashamed of themselves. I find it much easier to believe that people who came on the scene more recently (like pretty much everyone who works for YEA, volunteers for YEA, current Cadets, Etc) would have been as surprised by any of this as the average person on the street. Even in a #MeToo time frame, there is a difference between not assuming the worst of people and covering for them.  They may be indistinguishable in the middle of a media vortex, but as time goes by they may be seen in a different light by those who care about the truth. 

It could be true some knew and covered up, and it could be true that there were rumors, more often than not sexual abusers choose people they believe will be quiet. People found guilty of sexual misconduct usually don’t brag or share details.  Sadly things often only add up after the fact which is why education on the matter is critical.