Cadets 2018

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The tv show didn’t help. Yeah she can come off as harsh. But I’ve seen her with kids going through some really rough times and she was amazing with them, especially when a student in the band program took his life a few years ago. The compassion and actions she displayed are not the public perception of her and that’s a #### shame.

Talked to a parent of one of her students at the HS level- he felt that his daughter got a badly needed sense of structure and discipline, and he thanked her for it. Personally, when I've interacted or watched HS rehearsals, my impression was sharp as a whip, professional,  very perceptive, tough, sets high expectations (something I think is important), but not too tough.

4 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

What Cadet's guard needs is some personality - look at their Championship level guards (see video above) and all the current top guards, and they all have abundant amounts of 'personality'. It is not good enough just to spin and dance in time, you need something extra that helps bring the show to life (think SCV last year, Carolina Crown and BD most years).

THIS.

One of those things one learns when observing- Watched an Atlanta CV ensemble rehearsal. Guard Caption head thanks one of the guard members:

"Thank you, (insert name), do it that way every time! You were compelling, and you made me want to watch you perform."

Really opened my eyes to that. It's essential.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

THIS.

One of those things one learns when observing- Watched an Atlanta CV ensemble rehearsal. Guard Caption head thanks one of the guard members:

"Thank you, (insert name), do it that way every time! You were compelling, and you made me want to watch you perform."

Really opened my eyes to that. It's essential.

I could have never been in guard. I have a dry personality.

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

I could have never been in guard. I have a dry personality.

It’s because you don’t like beer ... or pistachios.

7 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

It’s because you don’t like beer ... or pistachios.

Actually, I like Angry Orchard now. Does that count as beer?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Actually, I like Angry Orchard now. Does that count as beer?

Well ... it does show growth ...