Cadets 2018

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Let's hope so. It's a shame that it took for this to happen for him to leave. But the new Director seems to have a grasp on things in a positive way.

I am obviously nervous to post this, but how could they be worse? Hopkins was a morale sucking machine. Everyone who has ever worked around the guy knows this. Cadets deserve better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I am obviously nervous to post this, but how could they be worse? Hopkins was a morale sucking machine. Everyone who has ever worked around the guy knows this. Cadets deserve better.

Well, they could be less than 7th, they could not make finals...things can always get worse, but they can always get better.

23 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

The Cavaliers are 3 pointing Madison on a nightly basis. Before the sickness rolls through they are 2.1 ahead. Then when they start competing again they are neck and neck. Missing an entire weeks worth of practice in the next to last week of the season is detrimental.

Was going to respond the same. You beat me to it. Also Madison only ended up in 8th by .4 even after the virus took out the Cavies. Not only missing the last few weeks but also having members march that weren’t  at 100% definitely hurt them and benefitted the Scouts.

11 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well, they could be less than 7th, they could not make finals...things can always get worse, but they can always get better.

Looking forward to a good show. 

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

Exactly. If the whole corps hadn’t been sick for the two weeks prior to finals (and a few during that week) they definitely would of finished ahead of Madison and probably Phantom. If I remember correctly, they pulled out of Atlanta and marched numerous holes at Allentown.

Cavies also performed in exhibition only at the TOC show held at Winston-Salem day after Atlanta due to this.

25 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I agree with this. Cadets have not in fact been better year over year under Hopkins' direction. They have been on a steady decline.

Show design was always a weakness in recent years, apparently among other things. With Hopkins around, there was zero chance he wasn't going to continue to manhandle direction and details of design. In today's DCI, show design is part and parcel with the show itself. You can't just say a corps executed great but design stunk. The two, rightfully, go together.

Cadets will immediately be a much better organization without Hopkins in every respect. I expect that to transfer to the field and to scores.

Having seen *bits* of Cadets 2018 I think the fans (and judges) will be quite happy and impressed

• Like 8

13 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Obviously, George was brilliant at one time, but I really feel he played in the design sandbox after losing his touch...

His decline as a designer happened as early as 2006, but it really started to rear its ugly head in 2007 with his obsession with narration and New Age gobbledygook. If the corps members and caption heads hadn’t been top notch we probably would have seen a precipitous drop in placement way before 2016.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bicsta said:

Weeeeell....

Let's not forget that that show was not exactly a design tour de force.  I remember Mcintosh trying to explain the concept at the Tour Premiere, and it was sad.  Not sure they should have done too much better, even healthy.

my thoughts too.

12 minutes ago, wallace said:

His decline as a designer happened as early as 2006, but it really started to rear its ugly head in 2007 with his obsession with narration and New Age gobbledygook. If the corps members and caption heads hadn’t been top notch we probably would have seen a precipitous drop in placement way before 2016.

2008 stands out.  

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

my thoughts too.

yup

I also think the original post was trying to make a point about all the loaded (in terms of experience/talent) Cadets corps through the last 10 years or so with potential wasted at time by design-hack himself

2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 really come to mind (for me) for corps that were so solid in talent in all 3 captions that the design let the members down - and by "design" I mean circus colored outhouses in 13, banners and a massive stage and heavy (unnecessary) narration in 14; 15 beating the number 'Ten' over our heads and I'm pretty sure I don't have to mention 16 (or 17) - though both corps were slightly younger, with 17 being very young after the caption head exits