Cadets 2018

6 hours ago, BigW said:

Oh, man. I'm headed to bed. That's 120 octane nightmare fuel. I blame you for any Class A nightmares I may have today. :laugh:

2010 and "Toy Souldier"was interesting. I really enjoyed the musical book. It had quite a few of what are referred to as "light classics" referring more to accessibility than difficulty to perform. I did download the musical show when we could do that, and it does work well from that standpoint. I did not see it live until later in the season, and what I imagined it to be and what I saw were slightly different. In general, I do not like it when adults try to act like children. It is meant to come across as childlike, but more often it looks childish which for me was the case with this show. I didn't hate it, and it doesn't give me nightmares, but I did have some issues with it, not so much when I saw it live but when I watched the DVD. .

Fast forward to 2015, we had a show that focused on a child's imagination with Blue Devils and "Ink." I will admit I enjoyed the show but also thought "What kind of kid would think this way?" At the end of the season, my entire perception of the show changed. When the little girl emerged at the end of the show, a show I enjoyed but thought was bizarre became a classic. I  wonder if "Toy Souldier" actually used a child, whether I'd feel differently about the show. I'll have to watch it again sometime and decide. Whether that would work or not, it is still a great show from a listening point of view. 

Interestingly this all started based on a discussion about the young man with acrobatic skills who portrayed Jesus in last year's show. When I first saw it, I thought he was portraying John the Baptist. There is a painting (I can not recall the artist) which depicts John with a similar loin cloth and a similar staff. Though I had issues with the show, I thought this was an interesting addition since John the Baptist focused on conversion and that was supposed to be at the heart of the show. I actually credited the former director with doing his homework. When I learned differently, it was just bizarre and another add on that didn't make a lot of sense. 

That being said, I'll be seeing Cadets live on Sunday, and again Monday and Tuesday, and I'll see them later in the season. I do expect I'll see lots pf add-ons, but at least they will make sense from a design perspective, will probably be the result of collaboration, and if we don't get design changes, we won't be bombarded with Facebook posts which tell us why we are wrong.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

You don’t have to be left to wonder. As I said, this is just from a few YouTube videos—single camera (presumably phone) recordings of the Akron show (one full show, probably way off at 20 yd line; one better perspective just of the drum break) and an ensemble run through day before Akron (not in uniform; low center). I’m aware of the differences between phone recordings and being there, big audiences and small, early season vs later, the effect gained by clear execution. But it’s all I have for now. 

Silly Chris!

You know you're only allowed to comment on or give an opinion of a show if you've seen it LIVE!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

Silly Chris!

You know you're only allowed to comment on or give an opinion of a show if you've seen it LIVE!  

If people followed that rule, DCP would have to remove a huge portion of the posts.:blow:

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I LOVED this.  :-)  thanks All Access!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

I’m encouraged you think that. I’ve watched a few YouTube postings and, while I like the Cadets-like approach to the music and drill, I worry about how elementary the GE feels compared to what other corps have been offering for years now. On the other hand, I very much appreciate the position the staff is in, having rewritten the show in February and trying, I assume, to put a show together that they could pull off—clearly so at this point, as they sit where they left off last year.

I'll give you a perfect example....the BD story book show. All season they added a little more daily to the conceptual aspects to make it come to life, with the cherry on top being the young girl added finals week. Early on.....i didn't get it compared to the write up they released. Around San antonio, more started to become clear, and at Allentown, I was pretty sold as it was then. Thursday at quarters...home run. 

And yeah, I don't envy the design team and staff. a total restart in April is a huge challenge, though in hindsight it'll probably be better than what was on paper then. sadly 2 friends of mine who were huge Cadets fans recently passes...one this winter, on last week.....and I know they would love where this show is most likely headed, and they were more critical than any of us on here. New unis aside...this show FEELS Cadets more than anything IMO since Angels and Demons. Anyone expecting in this crowded field that they'd jump back up and immediately contend is probably suffering from completely unrealistic expectations. But it can stop the slide of the corps being the butt of jokes, and showing the corps working back up.

Look at Cavies....after the huge drop in 12, it took them 5 years to get back into the top 5. there's no true overnight Cinderella in DCI anymore at the top

So Cadets fans...

Just based on various online media,  I have a pretty good feeling about this show.  I don't see any reason they can't take a few captions from Boston (if not tonight then soon enough).  

Percussion:  Aungst.  That's all that need be said.

Brass:  I have to admit I'm really starting to dig Drew's approach.  The brass is sounding very mature for their age.

VA:  Bobby's drill seems to be placing everyone at the right place at the right time for maximum effect.  Leon's drill alternates between oh that's cool and well we've seen that before. 

Your thoughts Cadets fans?   Other captions perhaps?

Edited by karuna

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I don't see any other meals or snack.  Gonna  be a lot  of hungry kids by the time they get on the buses at 10:50.

Don't most corps provide a snack after the performance?

18 hours ago, Liahona said:

I feel sorry for that guy...he has been the brunt of so many jokes...and yes I know no one is picking on him...just the poor design decision itself..still I can't help but feel bad for him though...

like little Geoffrey, the kid could have said no.

granted he'd have then been the topic in a blog post moaning about loyalty, etc etc

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

That's what I thought,but it is usually posted  on their "board".

Edited by rpbobcat

53 minutes ago, Ghost said:

31 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

That's what I thought,but it is usually posted  on their "board".

Believe me, Bob Beatty and greater Pittsburgh alums are providing a feast.

Besides, why write snacks on the white board when DCP is providing all the snarks?

Ghost and Cat, if you are really concerned, your generous donation check will certainly be accepted I am sure.

• Like 2