Cadets 2018

9 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

I lived in Philly for 3 years and STILL do not know how to pronounce that word...

Surekill lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I think it would be great for most corps if the drum majors would always wear the traditional uniform, or a slight variation on it... best of both worlds?

I give that idea a decisive “it depends.”  In some cases what is the traditional uniform? While we now see different uniforms each year in most cases, uniforms still were altered a bit each year for some time now. Add to the mix some of the traditional uniforms would clash with what is being worn on the field. As I say this, last year at finals Cavies wore the traditional uniform for retreat and the crowd loved it.

I love the traditional uniforms of so many corps, but in the end I wonder how much it matters. Lots of people hated Crown’s uniforms in 2013. When they took home the gold, you heard far less about the uniforms.

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

I’m not sure what the corps members want to wear is all that pertinent for any corps. If the trend today is to wear a uniform that best sells the show and helps earn the highest score, that’s most likely what they’ll want to wear. 

I don’t think the colors and pattern should be up to the members. But the activity has changed from marching to marching+dance, and the equipment has to change with it. Without commenting on the aesthetics, there is simply no way Bluecoats could have done any of their last three shows in their traditional uniform.

One MM told me that there is a huge difference in the uniform this year even vs the white one-piece in which they ended the show last year. That this one feels no different physically from their practice run-through in shorts and t-shirt. That’s a really big deal when you are performing under brutal summer conditions and this kind of physical demand. 

Should the activity evolve this way?  That’s a different debate. But we are here and they have to adapt. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

video from tonight's guard warm up in MA

Thanks for sharing this George! :-) 

11 hours ago, Icer said:

I don’t think the colors and pattern should be up to the members. But the activity has changed from marching to marching+dance, and the equipment has to change with it. Without commenting on the aesthetics, there is simply no way Bluecoats could have done any of their last three shows in their traditional uniform.

One MM told me that there is a huge difference in the uniform this year even vs the white one-piece in which they ended the show last year. That this one feels no different physically from their practice run-through in shorts and t-shirt. That’s a really big deal when you are performing under brutal summer conditions and this kind of physical demand. 

Should the activity evolve this way?  That’s a different debate. But we are here and they have to adapt. 

I remember how different shows were from rehearsals... if the current trend is to make the rehearsals and the performances feel the same, I'm all for it.  Allows the kids to max out at even higher levels and if everyone else is doing it, by golly, I support it.  :-) 

Also, did you see the "uniform" flag?!?!?!?  :-) I LOVE this season so far!

6 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

I remember how different shows were from rehearsals... if the current trend is to make the rehearsals and the performances feel the same, I'm all for it.  Allows the kids to max out at even higher levels and if everyone else is doing it, by golly, I support it.  :-) 

Also, did you see the "uniform" flag?!?!?!?  :-) I LOVE this season so far!

im not usually a fan of symbols or other real things/patterns on the silks. To me they so often are not visible/articulated in the stands and definitely not on screen unless there are closeup shots. The guard show designers need to be clever in giving the audience a chance to see the silks. I think BD did a good job of this in 2006 showing us the horse heads for example. But the chess board and keyhole flags from Cadets 2005 were not visible, kind of a waste. 

Not saying one way or the other about this Cadets show, just a general comment. 

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

im not usually a fan of symbols or other real things/patterns on the silks. To me they so often are not visible/articulated in the stands and definitely not on screen unless there are closeup shots. The guard show designers need to be clever in giving the audience a chance to see the silks. I think BD did a good job of this in 2006 showing us the horse heads for example. But the chess board and keyhole flags from Cadets 2005 were not visible, kind of a waste

Not saying one way or the other about this Cadets show, just a general comment. 

I used to agree 100%... I write drill, so I'm a sucker for the high-angle camera.

Over the last couple years, though, I've been way down front (row 5-10ish) for live shows and so I've grown fond of thoughtful/meaningful silk selections. It definitely gives you something to appreciate visually and connect to when you can't really see what's going on globally.  

I'm usually bad at watching shows from all of my judging and designing experience over my lifetime (because I have a critical eye), but I am going to say this with 0% hype...

Last night in Boston (7/1) was the best run of the show for the corps this season.

Their first short rehearsal day of the year because of the travel from Allentown to Boston (it doesn't seem far, but anybody knows from the east coast knows that could be an 6 hour or 10+ hour drive just depending on accidents and traffic. It took me yesterday 7+ on a 3.5 hour drive myself.), but the corps got sleep and had a lights out performance.

There is still work (adjustments and changes) to do, of course, but this corps now see's "who and what" they are.... CADETS!

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 8