Cadets 2018

5 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Eh, he was pretty #### good at being a lightning rod. See: everyone who blames him and him alone for the changes that the majority of corps voted to approve over the past twenty years.

Also good at being a generally terrible person.

always thinking on the bright side!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I've been meaning to come here all week and keep forgetting. I watched the Orlando show and absolutely love this Cadets show. Such an improvement form a design and entertainment standpoint over the past two years. Good things are happening for them. Regardless of where they place finals night, this is a step in the right direction. Bravo.

I enjoyed it too. 1993 was my first year to watch the DCI broadcast on PBS, so the closer is special to me.

I asked this in maybe the Orlando thread, but what is different about the 2018 design compared to what GH had in mind? Clearly the title, clearly the use of Sound of Silence. But I feel like folks on here are saying (and I don't mean to put words in your mouth) "this is a huge improvement over what GH would've designed," but I can't imagine given the timing of the GH departure that TOO much could've changed. Maybe the big difference is how the show progresses over the summer (and won't get ruined at the hands of GH)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I enjoyed it too. 1993 was my first year to watch the DCI broadcast on PBS, so the closer is special to me.

I asked this in maybe the Orlando thread, but what is different about the 2018 design compared to what GH had in mind? Clearly the title, clearly the use of Sound of Silence. But I feel like folks on here are saying (and I don't mean to put words in your mouth) "this is a huge improvement over what GH would've designed," but I can't imagine given the timing of the GH departure that TOO much could've changed. Maybe the big difference is how the show progresses over the summer (and won't get ruined at the hands of GH)?

Sensemaya anchoring the first half was carried over, but I believe the ballad and closer are new -- I don't recall about the drum feature, I feel like it's new, too.  Uniforms were not changed, nor were the box props at a most basic level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

I'm probably getting my terminology wrong. I thought Drew was the "caption head", but he's the "arranger/caption supervisor".  Who was the previous caption head?

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

he is now 

Branden Hill is the Brass Caption Head, and has been (formally or informally) dating back to pre-season camps.

Drew Shanefield is the Brass Arranger/Caption Supervisor, and for the last few months, the Artistic Director

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

2nd year in a row where Cadets' brass is way down there in scoring, but good to see percussion doing better.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I like the brass this year. Much prefer it to Gino’s sound which personnally I rarely enjoyed, 2013 and 2015 were exceptions 

Uhh I much prefer Gino to what they have now. Gino's brass lines are fantastic. Listen to Boston now. Proof that Gino hasn't lost his touch. I would love for Gino to go back to Cadets; obviously, THAT'S not happening. If you've marched under one of his hornlines, you'd understand his passion and why he has this personality to make a hornline WANT to be great. 

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

He had no taste. Period. The guy had no business designing shows. Zero. None. 

To be fair, he did have a hand in coming up with their more successful shows. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Uhh I much prefer Gino to what they have now. Gino's brass lines are fantastic. Listen to Boston now. Proof that Gino hasn't lost his touch. I would love for Gino to go back to Cadets; obviously, THAT'S not happening. If you've marched under one of his hornlines, you'd understand his passion and why he has this personality to make a hornline WANT to be great. 

To be fair, he did have a hand in coming up with their more successful shows. 

Oh I’m well aware my taste isn’t the predominant viewpoint. Lol 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Branden Hill is the Brass Caption Head, and has been (formally or informally) dating back to pre-season camps.

Drew Shanefield is the Brass Arranger/Caption Supervisor, and for the last few months, the Artistic Director

I thought he was the caption manager and then he was named caption head in May? My perception as an outsider probably 

Drew is “Caption supervisor”? It’s a little confusing imo 

Edited by George Dixon

39 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

Sensemaya anchoring the first half was carried over, but I believe the ballad and closer are new -- I don't recall about the drum feature, I feel like it's new, too.  Uniforms were not changed, nor were the box props at a most basic level.

Considering all that - plus just the emotional distractions- it’s turning out quite well

maybe this team deserves a “normal winter” to design a show under regular circumstances while the corps upgrades or reinforces the tech positions

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I thought he was the caption manager and then he was named caption head in May? My perception as an outsider probably 

Drew is “Caption supervisor”? It’s a little confusing imo 

I think "Supervisor" just means that Drew is the ultimate man in charge of the brass from top to bottom, including the caption head, section techs, etc. - as opposed to just arranging the music then letting the Corps Director choose and direct the Brass staff.   But Brandon handles the traditional caption head work (though Drew often steps in as well - he's very hands on).  I don't know when Brandon formally was given the title, but I believe he was doing the same work since fairly early in the camp schedule.  I haven't discussed it with my son in quite a while, though, so I could be remembering wrong.