Cadets 2018

Th judge might be right or wrong but if he had put the corps higher than all the other judges, would the same debate be taking place?

Just now, DCI-86 said:

Th judge might be right or wrong but if he had put the corps higher than all the other judges, would the same debate be taking place?

the complaining would be happening in a different corps thread ;-)

if you back out the impact of THIS particular judge it wouldn't change the order results of the contest at all...that's the good news

it would have made Cadets score about 0.6-0.8 higher; they had a good run last night; 86.5 or so if they got their typical VA score

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

BUT, look at last night’s recap and the number of captions in which the Crusaders are already judged higher in achievement than content.  Boston designed very smart, but they will struggle to climb higher-despite a very good guard and strong performance corps wide.  

The Cadets have room for growth between their content and achievement numbers.  Compared to those above them, they lag in visual and musical clarity.  They can clean, and with that content scores can also benefit.  Their design is one where, quite often, excellence IS the effect.   That’s a tough way to score points-one that lacks in vocabulary and variety of effect.

41 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

what point are you trying to make here? I'm not certain.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Yes, Boston had scores like that in both GE1 scores and music brass which puts them in great company with SCV who had three captions and the Bluecoats who had one score like that.  Oh yeah, better check the Cadets VA score again.  You may now put those stones back on the ground.

If One n Done feels Boston will "struggle to climb higher", then SCV, BC, and Cadets will also struggle since they had caption results similar to Boston.  Then again, the SCV might not be able to climb any higher.

Edited by Ghost

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the complaining would be happening in a different corps thread ;-)

if you back out the impact of THIS particular judge it wouldn't change the order results of the contest at all...that's the good news

it would have made Cadets score about 0.6-0.8 higher; they had a good run last night; 86.5 or so if they got their typical VA score

Lol that’s so true. I love Cadets and I know I have been tough on the guard (I’m a guard person) but if they clean up the guard (esp first half of the show where I suspect they haven’t been focused) it might help get more consistent scores across all visual/GE captions. 

boston's right up there with scv

love these insightful comments, lol

no matter what, i think this year will be a catapult for the coming years for this corps. good luck to all!

Edited by Lance

10 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

They have to clean!!!!!  They are so dirty compared to those around them (first half of th show, I though th guard looked like a June guard!). They need to start cleaning!!!!

That’s the 12th place. Cleaning. I saw some individual issues that stick out in those uniforms. If there are changes, get them in now and deep clean everything page by page. Transitions are the key 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Love this! Thanks for posting. 

The reaction in 2 weeks coming up that hill....

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yes, Boston had scores like that in both GE1 scores and music brass which puts them in great company with SCV who had three captions and the Bluecoats who had one score like that.  Oh yeah, better check the Cadets VA score again.  You may now put those stones back on the ground.

No stone throwing.  I’d be quite obvious if that was my intent, believe me.  That VA score comes from the judge referred to early in my previous post.  Same person dumped them in effect the night before in Katy, when he was on effect.  He obviously doesn’t care for the Cadets visual choices.  Which is fine-the question is whether or not he is being objective and ranking/rating the group fairly.  9th?  Sure.  12th?  Nope.

Boston and the Cadets are both having very good, while very different, seasons.  If neither of them place any higher, both groups have PLENTY to celebrate.  For Boston, staying top 6 may be more impressive than getting there in the first place.  They are better this year.  So too are Bloo, Cavies, and SCV.  Some may say BD and Crown are off.  I’d like to be that kind of off.  Both have crazy talent and instruction-across the captions.  If Boston passes nobody, they are still a better corps.  They will see more talent next year and can challenge them more.

Cadets are also better this year, so are others above them (including BAC).  Their placement, given the turmoil surrounding the corps this spring and in recent years, is kinda remarkable.  Alumni have rallied in support of a great group of kids that believed in the corps and each other.  If they pass nobody, they too are an improved unit.  They have a lot to do after this season, but are very committed.

The comment likening BAC and SCV in scoring doesn’t make sense.  SCV is the cream of the crop this year.  They’re total score is over 90 with 3 weeks left and with just 7.5 points left until they hit the ceiling of 100.  Vanguard IS in that place where content and achievement must begin to level out.  They and a couple others are simply that darned good.  Being below 90 and being level or upside down in content and achievement in multiple captions is a clear message:  “You are doing great...now, please do more!”

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lance said:

boston's right up there with scv

love these insightful comments, lol

no matter what, i think this year will be a catapult for the coming years for this corps. good luck to all!

Boston is “right up with SCV” just as much as Phantom is right up with Boston :lle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1