Cadets 2018

"NOTE … and I am guilty of this

When judging the A bands, the emphasis is 75% …. Performance when judging EFFECT, or JUDGING VISUAL PERFORMANCE ..OR MUSIC for that matter.
Now, I will be the first one to try to explain that very poor design affects the members ability to ENGAGE the audience.This does come into play when effect is involved. As for visual performance ???  There is some impact for sure but … Performance wins out!

What we are trying to do, is push the bands to concentrate on the performance and NOT the creation of the best design ever.This … does require us to be careful in what we talk about !"

4 hours ago, glory said:

Really? You know better. Prior to last year, the Cadets design team (Gino, Colin, Jeff, Jay, etc) was together what? A decade? And you know what happened last year. A death in the family. Money raining from Massachusetts. 

Among the reason why Cadets are leading staff everywhere is there was no room at Cadets for so long for young talent to move up. You people have this entirely backwards.

HH

so explain the people prior to Boston money? Rarick at Bluecoats is a cadets alum for example.Surely a play could have been made to bring him home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xandandl said:

ah the R in ream stands for Rigid?

resistant

21 minutes ago, garfield said:

"NOTE … and I am guilty of this

When judging the A bands, the emphasis is 75% …. Performance when judging EFFECT, or JUDGING VISUAL PERFORMANCE ..OR MUSIC for that matter.
Now, I will be the first one to try to explain that very poor design affects the members ability to ENGAGE the audience.This does come into play when effect is involved. As for visual performance ???  There is some impact for sure but … Performance wins out!

What we are trying to do, is push the bands to concentrate on the performance and NOT the creation of the best design ever.This … does require us to be careful in what we talk about !"

...and therein lies the problem. 

I *love* how class A is supposed to be adjudicated. But there's a real problem when you run across the bands that are in A class to develop the performer, but that already excel in design. I don't think the circuit does a good enough job with serving the needs of that (admittedly small) segment of the band population. I'm not talking about bands that stay in A class for years...I'm talking about the ones that are using A to develop with the intent to move to Open sooner rather than later. 

Many of the circuit's judges don't know how to derive commentary for those bands, and it's a problem. Note: I'm not really talking about the numbers, just how the commentary is applied via the sheet.

Edited by Kamarag

4 hours ago, Kamarag said:

...and therein lies the problem. 

I *love* how class A is supposed to be adjudicated. But there's a real problem when you run across the bands that are in A class to develop the performer, but that already excel in design. I don't think the circuit does a good enough job with serving the needs of that (admittedly small) segment of the band population. I'm not talking about bands that stay in A class for years...I'm talking about the ones that are using A to develop with the intent to move to Open sooner rather than later. 

Many of the circuit's judges don't know how to derive commentary for those bands, and it's a problem. Note: I'm not really talking about the numbers, just how the commentary is applied via the sheet.

Are you telling me that you honestly understand this gibberish?  I stared at it for hours and it didn't make a bit of sense to me.

There's no doubt who wrote it, right?

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

Are you telling me that you honestly understand this gibberish?  I stared at it for hours and it didn't make a bit of sense to me.

"Stream of consciousness" elevated to an art form.  LOL

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Actually if you have experience with USBands it is not all difficult to understand. The bands in the 'A' division are on supposed to be evaluated primarily on their performance level than their design elements. John was then talking about the circuit evaluating a band that is an 'A' band to improve their performance, but who already have a top-level design, and that they fall down there in their evaluations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

Actually if you have experience with USBands it is not all difficult to understand. The bands in the 'A' division are on supposed to be evaluated primarily on their performance level than their design elements. John was then talking about the circuit evaluating a band that is an 'A' band to improve their performance, but who already have a top-level design, and that they fall down there in their evaluations.

And this is why I manage money instead of judge bands.  Or the other way around.  Or something.  :blink:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, glory said:

Among the reason why Cadets are leading staff everywhere is there was no room at Cadets for so long for young talent to move up. You people have this entirely backwards.

At one point, there were six corps under the YEA! umbrella.  No room to retain staff talent?  No one in the history of the activity has ever had more room than that!

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

At one point, there were six corps under the YEA! umbrella.  No room to retain staff talent?  No one in the history of the activity has ever had more room than that!

but that supposed umbrella was so short lived that most folks don't even remember it coming out of the umbrella stand.

There's a difference between reality which persists and something that exists only in one CEO's fantasy kingdom. 

Just like DCP posters assert past scores having nothing to do with tomorrow's performance, past dislikes of Hopkins should not have anything to do with the current stance toward 2018 mms. If one is fair and not revengeful.