Cadets 2018

On 6/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, Icer said:

The Cadets were going to be a better corps than last year with or without GH.  And make no mistake, if these allegations had not surfaced, GH would have been the 2018 director.  Another year of experience for the design/music team (especially Shane), a really amazing score (even before the changes), and a much more veteran corps all were pointing in the right direction.  The results last year were not great, but the morale of the MM's last year was extremely high.  So they were coming in with much higher expectations.  

That is definitely not a given. In fact, I think if GH had stayed, they would have placed the same as 2017 or lower. They were on a downward trajectory for a few years, and I'm sorry but they lost in 2016 to what I imagine was a less talented Cavaliers corps, and 2017 to a less talented BAC corps. I mean no disrespect to Cavies or BAC, but they were 9th (Cavies in 2015) and 12th (BAC) in 2016, so highly unlikely they had the talent level to match the Cadets the following years. Why? Design. 2016 and 2017 Cadets shows were so flawed from a design perspective. You can add 2015 into that too. That show, to me had an amazing drill and the music was killer, but they beat us over the head with the theme, and the change to all black uniforms was most definitely a mistake. I actually thought the show in 2017 was absolutely beautiful in the beginning of the season (despite the design flaws) but the constant tinkering with and beating us over the head with the theme ruined it for me by the end of the season. There were also the stained glass props which not only didn't look good, but didn't add anything to the show. Obviously, George was brilliant at one time, but I really feel he played in the design sandbox after losing his touch (so to speak here - but I think when someone is doing something for a very long time, it becomes increasingly harder to stay fresh and innovative), and should have stepped aside and let the people he hired make the design choices.  

I'm excited for the Cadets and their new chapter. Whether they place 3rd or 10th this year, I think it's the dawning of a new era and bright future for them. Change and fresh blood are a good thing (expect if your BD apparently - I don't know how they do it). 

Best of luck to the Cadets in 2018. I hope they have an amazing season and return to the top 5.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Icer said:

This is a competitive activity. People don't just do it for the participation medals. These are athletes and musicians with a lot of pride who are striving to be the best. They care, so I care for them. However, in the larger view I completely agree with you, because 20 years from now it doesn't matter if they came in 4, 6 or 10. 

I think the kids grasp this too. There's a reason not one member left

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That is definitely not a given. In fact, I think if GH had stayed, they would have placed the same as 2017 or lower. They were on a downward trajectory for a few years, and I'm sorry but they lost in 2016 to what I imagine was a less talented Cavaliers corps, and 2017 to a less talented BAC corps. I mean no disrespect to Cavies or BAC, but they were 9th (Cavies in 2015) and 12th (BAC) in 2016, so highly unlikely they had the talent level to match the Cadets the following years. Why? Design. 2016 and 2017 Cadets shows were so flawed from a design perspective. 

Cavies had a virus sweep through the corps 2 weeks before finals in 2015, and they never fully recovered .   That 9th place finish was an outlier result of sickness not the talent level of the corps.  

CADET FRIENDS, FANS, SUPPORTERS.... Want to help the performers out directly? How about sponsoring a meal in your name or maybe in the memory of somebody you lost from your family ... or even in memory of somebody like George Zingali or Aunt Nell? How about to encourage people like Peggy Twiggs? Anybody? Any reason! And you get to feed the corps and see your name on the whiteboard on your day on the corps FB page!!!!!

We can use your help making goal on this campaign. Please help!!!!

5 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Cavies had a virus sweep through the corps 2 weeks before finals in 2015, and they never fully recovered .   That 9th place finish was an outlier result of sickness not the talent level of the corps.  

Exactly. If the whole corps hadn’t been sick for the two weeks prior to finals (and a few during that week) they definitely would of finished ahead of Madison and probably Phantom. If I remember correctly, they pulled out of Atlanta and marched numerous holes at Allentown.

Edited by GREENBLUE

29 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Exactly. If the whole corps hadn’t been sick for the two weeks prior to finals (and a few during that week) they definitely would of finished ahead of Madison and probably Phantom. If I remember correctly, they pulled out of Atlanta and marched numerous holes at Allentown.

We watched them rehearse a few days before DCI East.... still several members in "sick bay" at that time. They cut short their evening ensemble rehearsal... I'm guessing due to a combination of some threatening weather in the distance and the fact that  a number of corps members were still battling various stages of the virus. 

34 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Weeeeell....

Let's not forget that that show was not exactly a design tour de force.  I remember Mcintosh trying to explain the concept at the Tour Premiere, and it was sad.  Not sure they should have done too much better, even healthy.

23 minutes ago, bicsta said:

Weeeeell....

Let's not forget that that show was not exactly a design tour de force.  I remember Mcintosh trying to explain the concept at the Tour Premiere, and it was sad.  Not sure they should have done too much better, even healthy.

The Cavaliers are 3 pointing Madison on a nightly basis. Before the sickness rolls through they are 2.1 ahead. Then when they start competing again they are neck and neck. Missing an entire weeks worth of practice in the next to last week of the season is detrimental.

12 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That is definitely not a given. In fact, I think if GH had stayed, they would have placed the same as 2017 or lower. They were on a downward trajectory for a few years, and I'm sorry but they lost in 2016 to what I imagine was a less talented Cavaliers corps, and 2017 to a less talented BAC corps. I mean no disrespect to Cavies or BAC, but they were 9th (Cavies in 2015) and 12th (BAC) in 2016, so highly unlikely they had the talent level to match the Cadets the following years. Why? Design. 2016 and 2017 Cadets shows were so flawed from a design perspective. You can add 2015 into that too. That show, to me had an amazing drill and the music was killer, but they beat us over the head with the theme, and the change to all black uniforms was most definitely a mistake. I actually thought the show in 2017 was absolutely beautiful in the beginning of the season (despite the design flaws) but the constant tinkering with and beating us over the head with the theme ruined it for me by the end of the season. There were also the stained glass props which not only didn't look good, but didn't add anything to the show. Obviously, George was brilliant at one time, but I really feel he played in the design sandbox after losing his touch (so to speak here - but I think when someone is doing something for a very long time, it becomes increasingly harder to stay fresh and innovative), and should have stepped aside and let the people he hired make the design choices.  

I'm excited for the Cadets and their new chapter. Whether they place 3rd or 10th this year, I think it's the dawning of a new era and bright future for them. Change and fresh blood are a good thing (expect if your BD apparently - I don't know how they do it). 

Best of luck to the Cadets in 2018. I hope they have an amazing season and return to the top 5.

I agree with this. Cadets have not in fact been better year over year under Hopkins' direction. They have been on a steady decline.

Show design was always a weakness in recent years, apparently among other things. With Hopkins around, there was zero chance he wasn't going to continue to manhandle direction and details of design. In today's DCI, show design is part and parcel with the show itself. You can't just say a corps executed great but design stunk. The two, rightfully, go together.

Cadets will immediately be a much better organization without Hopkins in every respect. I expect that to transfer to the field and to scores.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I agree with this. Cadets have not in fact been better year over year under Hopkins' direction. They have been on a steady decline.

Show design was always a weakness in recent years, apparently among other things. With Hopkins around, there was zero chance he wasn't going to continue to manhandle direction and details of design. In today's DCI, show design is part and parcel with the show itself. You can't just say a corps executed great but design stunk. The two, rightfully, go together.

Cadets will immediately be a much better organization without Hopkins in every respect. I expect that to transfer to the field and to scores.

Let's hope so. It's a shame that it took for this to happen for him to leave. But the new Director seems to have a grasp on things in a positive way.

• Like 2