Cadets 2018

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

2008 stands out.  

NPR obsession on a football field - ick

the last 90 seconds were GREAT though

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yup

I also think the original post was trying to make a point about all the loaded (in terms of experience/talent) Cadets corps through the last 10 years or so with potential wasted at time by design-hack himself

2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 really come to mind (for me) for corps that were so solid in talent in all 3 captions that the design let the members down - and by "design" I mean circus colored outhouses in 13, banners and a massive stage and heavy (unnecessary) narration in 14; 15 beating the number 'Ten' over our heads and I'm pretty sure I don't have to mention 16 (or 17) - though both corps were slightly younger, with 17 being very young after the caption head exits

06 and 08 too, tho the last minute or so of 08 was incredible. i'll honorable mention 09....He tried too hard to avoid all of what made WSS past great. A Z pull would have blown the roof off of the place.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:57 AM, George Dixon said:

The evening event is an annual cadets meeting about protocol while in uniform, walk in twos etc 

Does any one know exactly what the "in uniform protocol" is? What are the specific behavioral rules and traditions, etc. 

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, GlenI said:

Does any one know exactly what the "in uniform protocol" is? What are the specific behavioral rules and traditions, etc. 

Thanks. 

From what I remember, no cursing, walking in twos, some other things I can't remember. I don't  know how much has changed though.

3 minutes ago, GlenI said:

Thanks. 

there are variations of these depending on actually what uniform/costume the corps is wearing.

The constants are:  no eating, swearing, horseplay while in Cadet uniform; always walk in twos when uniformed and away from the ensemble, no part of the uniform is to be used for a purpose other than being worn for performance, etc. How one holds the shako (in those years,) how one pins or not pins the uniform, how to wear/polish/and tap "the buckle" was another.  

mms of different years will and can add to these but they have been adapted and changed particularly in the last ten years as the corps shifted from the wool to the gabardine to the non-maroon to the costumes of late.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, Icer said:

This is a competitive activity. People don't just do it for the participation medals. These are athletes and musicians with a lot of pride who are striving to be the best. They care, so I care for them. However, in the larger view I completely agree with you, because 20 years from now it doesn't matter if they came in 4, 6 or 10. 

You're very, very correct. In 1984, the Westshoremen threw together a 6-week program to keep the corps active and alive and missed DCA finals. Without it, there would have been no DCA championship in 1996.

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

NPR obsession on a football field - ick

the last 90 seconds were GREAT though

That show would have been so much less cringe worthy if it were done today. They could have used professional voice actors and just played it as a voiceover. Asking college kids to read that script live was destined to be a fail. By no fault of their own, of course.

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well, they could be less than 7th, they could not make finals...things can always get worse, but they can always get better.

I don't think or believe 13th or lower is in the cards. If I set the odds on it, it would be somewhere around winning the Powerball or getting struck by lightning on a sunny day. :winky:

• Like 1