Cadets 2018

14 minutes ago, crownisking said:

It’s hard to argue with that point. Three years in a row with narration, each show more hated than the one before it certainly feels intentional.

I’ll never forget the stubbornness with that stage in 2014.  And there it was back in 2016...at least until Atlanta.  Then it poofed. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, crownisking said:

It’s hard to argue with that point. Three years in a row with narration, each show more hated than the one before it certainly feels intentional.

God complex:

"A person with a god complex may refuse to admit the possibility of their error or failure, even in the face of irrefutable evidence, intractable problems or difficult or impossible tasks. The person is also highly dogmatic in their views, meaning the person speaks of their personal opinions as though they were unquestionably correct. Someone with a god complex may exhibit no regard for the conventions and demands of society, and may request special consideration or privileges."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll never forget the stubbornness with that stage in 2014.  And there it was back in 2016...at least until Atlanta.  Then it poofed. 

the original version in 2014 was even bigger and taller - and only a near mutiny of the staff got him to "lower it" - but still those in the bottom third of the stands were being blocked by it from seeing the turf/feet. Insanely bad design. And then what did that show need to perfect it - oprah tarps!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

the original version in 2014 was even bigger and taller - and only a near mutiny of the staff got him to "lower it" - but still those in the bottom third of the stands were being blocked by it from seeing the turf/feet. Insanely bad design. And then what did that show need to perfect it - oprah tarps!

Three nights of seeing the front ensemble, which was glorious, whoever was on stage, the tips of plumes and guard equipment...good times...:laughing:

Thankfully, that’s all behind us. :12_slight_smile:

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

DEFIANT is a good way to put it.  I think many things that the Cadets did over the years had an air of defiance, whether it be asymetrical drill, using drum corps as art, narration, the "amen", etc.  Some of that stuff was innovative, and a lot of it was initially hated (but looked at more favorably AFTER the fact).  

It's OK to be defiant.  I think the problem was, the former director did some of it SPECIFICALLY to irk people.  He KNEW what people didn't like, and he doubled down on it.  He was very good at creating controversy.

I don't mind a LITTLE BIT of defiance, especially if it can be used to motivate the members.  But we can do without "in your face, I don't care what you think" designs.  Subtlety goes a long way.

I'm really anxious to see what the team can do now.  Personally, I think they have great ideas on what people want to see and hear.  

From what I have been reading on The Cadets' alumni page, this new director seems more determined to push inclusion, meaning producing shows that are more accessible to the audience, bringing back alumni into the fold, and making people in general feel welcome to see Cadets shows. We shall see though. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

That show would have been so much less cringe worthy if it were done today. They could have used professional voice actors and just played it as a voiceover. Asking college kids to read that script live was destined to be a fail. By no fault of their own, of course.

That '08 show... I liked that they used people who just focused on the voice work... not like '07, when the corps members also had speaking roles and, as a result, were often out of breath, pitchy, whatever you want to call it... and the audio was, IMO, overmodulated.  '07 was a great show overall... horn line was incredible... but the voice work, yikes. :laughing:

I've said this before elsewhere,  but the total disconnect for me in '08 was this... it was supposed to be an NPR show. A radio show. But the "interview" was done on what sure looked like a TV-interview set. I've worked in radio, and never did, or saw, a radio interview on such a set. LOL.  It sent a mixed, confusing message... at least it did to me.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Three nights of seeing the front ensemble, which was glorious, whoever was on stage, the tips of plumes and guard equipment...good times...:laughing:

Thankfully, that’s all behind us. :12_slight_smile:

Oh man... that was our experience at West Chester. First-row seats.... we saw the stage, and various plumes flying by.  LOL.  Much better from farther up, where we viewed the show earlier in the season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

From what I have been reading on The Cadets' alumni page, this new director seems more determined to push inclusion, meaning producing shows that are more accessible to the audience, bringing back alumni into the fold, and making people in general feel welcome to see Cadets shows. We shall see though. I'm looking forward to it.

That's wonderful. It's so nice to have an actual Cadet leading The Cadets.

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

That's wonderful. It's so nice to have an actual Cadet leading The Cadets.

That's what so many people have been saying, and it seems his approach is working. There are many alumni who are getting back to supporting Cadets, and this is only from what I have seen on the Facebook page.

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That '08 show... I liked that they used people who just focused on the voice work... not like '07, when the corps members also had speaking roles and, as a result, were often out of breath, pitchy, whatever you want to call it... and the audio was, IMO, overmodulated.  '07 was a great show overall... horn line was incredible... but the voice work, yikes. :laughing:

I've said this before elsewhere,  but the total disconnect for me in '08 was this... it was supposed to be an NPR show. A radio show. But the "interview" was done on what sure looked like a TV-interview set. I've worked in radio, and never did, or saw, a radio interview on such a set. LOL.  It sent a mixed, confusing message... at least it did to me.

I call it the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2