Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That '08 show... I liked that they used people who just focused on the voice work... not like '07, when the corps members also had speaking roles and, as a result, were often out of breath, pitchy, whatever you want to call it... and the audio was, IMO, overmodulated.  '07 was a great show overall... horn line was incredible... but the voice work, yikes. :laughing:

I've said this before elsewhere,  but the total disconnect for me in '08 was this... it was supposed to be an NPR show. A radio show. But the "interview" was done on what sure looked like a TV-interview set. I've worked in radio, and never did, or saw, a radio interview on such a set. LOL.  It sent a mixed, confusing message... at least it did to me.

Interestingly enough, I actually gave ‘07 Cadets a lot of credit for using MMs to do the narration in between actually marching. I never got to see them live that year but I always wondered if the narration volume was as overblown as everyone said it was. I remember everyone saying the same thing about the narration in ‘14 but it sounded way more balanced in person.

And I never thought about it, but you’re 100% right about the TV set/hockey puck from 2008. Totally inappropriate for a “radio interview”. Not to mention how unrealistic/unconversational the pace of the conversation was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Terri Schehr said:

 I call it the Sally Jesse Raphael show. 

I could never figure out the guy on that stage in '08. He was supposed to be part of the interview... but the way he walked in, hung up his coat and so forth... he looked more like the husband coming home for dinner after a long day at the office. :tongue:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I've said this before elsewhere,  but the total disconnect for me in '08 was this... it was supposed to be an NPR show. A radio show. But the "interview" was done on what sure looked like a TV-interview set. I've worked in radio, and never did, or saw, a radio interview on such a set. LOL.  It sent a mixed, confusing message... at least it did to me.

The music didn't make sense either. They were playing An American Elegy while the speaker was saying "this is the happiest day of my life" about her grandchild being born. That song was written to honor the victims and survivors of Columbine....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

I could never figure out the guy on that stage in '08. He was supposed to be part of the interview... but the way he walked in, hung up his coat and so forth... he looked more like the husband coming home for dinner after a long day at the office. :tongue:

This thread is starting to become like A Christmas Carol. 

Talking about all the old bad design decisions are like the ghosts of Christmas past. 

The season can’t start soon enough!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brass34 said:

The music didn't make sense either. They were playing An American Elegy while the speaker was saying "this is the happiest day of my life" about her grandchild being born. That song was written to honor the victims and survivors of Columbine....

Wow. It seems like the more we discuss it, the worse that show starts to feel in my memory. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Interestingly enough, I actually gave ‘07 Cadets a lot of credit for using MMs to do the narration in between actually marching. I never got to see them live that year but I always wondered if the narration volume was as overblown as everyone said it was. I remember everyone saying the same thing about the narration in ‘14 but it sounded way more balanced in person.

And I never thought about it, but you’re 100% right about the TV set/hockey puck from 2008. Totally inappropriate for a “radio interview”. Not to mention how unrealistic/unconversational the pace of the conversation was.

I agree with that, it was amazing they could even come close to pulling it off with all the other physical demands placed on them.  Reminds me of the Troopers singer from one of their recent shows.... singer plus guard performer. i just think the Cadets' stuff could have been handled better than it was.

That '14 Americana production... stage "interference" aside, I loved that show... I know I'm probably in the minority here.  LOL.  It just struck me as a show you could bring a drum corps newbie to see, and not have to spend an hour afterward explaining to them what they just saw. :laughing: Easy to follow, good for a general audience.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

This thread is starting to become like A Christmas Carol. 

Talking about all the old bad design decisions are like the ghosts of Christmas past. 

The season can’t start soon enough!

Every Christmas you say the same thing. And every Christmas it's just as inconvenient as the Christmas before. Good night.  :tongue:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Cavies had a virus sweep through the corps 2 weeks before finals in 2015, and they never fully recovered .   That 9th place finish was an outlier result of sickness not the talent level of the corps.  

Possibly. We will never know how that sickness really impacted their placement. Their 2015 show was not very good from a design and execution standpoint. Madison and Phantom were both stronger from an execution standpoint in my opinion, and at least Madison had a better design show from a visual standpoint. Yes, they had a sickness sweep through the corps, but we can't say for certain it ultimately had an impact on their placement. Even if they were healthy the whole season, it's extremely unlikely they would have finished higher than 7th. So, yes, in all likelihood the 2016 Cavaliers corps was not as talented as the 2016 Cadets corps. The design of the Cavaliers show in 2016 was exceptional, and when you have an exceptional design it can lead to great things, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree with that, it was amazing they could even come close to pulling it off with all the other physical demands placed on them.  Reminds me of the Troopers singer from one of their recent shows.... singer plus guard performer.

That '14 Americana production... stage "interference" aside, I loved that show... I know I'm probably in the minority here.  LOL.  It just struck me as a show you could bring a drum corps newbie to see, and not have to spend an hour afterward explaining to them what they just saw. :laughing: Easy to follow, good for a general audience.

Well, 2014 is the last time Cadets made the podium.....in spite of the narration, stage and staging decisions. Of course, I'm biased because my son aged out on the snare line; but well executed Copland has staying power, IMHO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uniforms will be the same as previously revealed. Being completely honest here, you're either going to love them or hate them and I see there being no middle ground. I'm curious to see how they look on the field. There are some elements I love about them but it's going to take some time to get used to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.