Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, candymancan said:

I have seen what they have been working on multiple times both in Johnstown and Ada.  It is absolutely refreshing to see the positive vibe from the mm's and staff.  There is such a feeling of "old" Cadets mixed with a nice bit of "modern" Cadets in the show.  I have no idea how it will do competitively,  but I don't care.  To me, they have already won in so many ways.  I am so impressed with them at this juncture and excited to see how they continue to push over the course of the summer.  They are doing some hard/fast things and it will take time to get it clean but that's the way it should be (IMO) instead of coming out of the gate blazing and then die off.  I'm pulling for you Cadets and I am so excited for you all.

I’m excited too. I can’t wait to see the corps perform in front of a live DCI audience. I will be at the Allentown show in a couple weeks - can’t wait. The show opening itself - can’t wait to see the audience reaction and the members feed of it it

• Like 3

21 hours ago, crownisking said:

Maybe. But it’s kind of like the 2007 show. Remove the narration and the theme doesn’t really make sense. Both shows, for better or worse, were built around the narration. Timing is important too though. To do that show after all the controversies from the year before...and all the controversies from the year before that...seems almost defiant. That show never had a chance of being liked. 

agreed. the problem was they focused so much on the story, the corps itself became secondary

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

From what I have been reading on The Cadets' alumni page, this new director seems more determined to push inclusion, meaning producing shows that are more accessible to the audience, bringing back alumni into the fold, and making people in general feel welcome to see Cadets shows. We shall see though. I'm looking forward to it.

the key is Scott is going to direct...not dictate. While I'm sure he will offer design input, he's going to trust those brought in to actually design and teach

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

That is so unbelievably ridiculous to me. It's like a family who signs up for reality television to air their dirty laundry on the public square. Thank goodness for new leadership.

However, I am curious as to what kind of beer you had. :guinesssmilie:

they did sign up for a reality show that year.

then half the staff left

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, dans said:

My wife and I had a similar experience in 2016. There was a really bad vibe at rehearsal. We left, had several beers and went to watch Blue Devils practice.

Oof. Thinking about it, when I went to visit and stock up a student marching there in the circa 1996 at a rehearsal at Hershey Stadium with some snacks, it wasn't that way. Uncertain when things began to get weirder. Maybe when the show content began to get more off of the beaten path?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigW said:

Oof. Thinking about it, when I went to visit and stock up a student marching there in the circa 1996 at a rehearsal at Hershey Stadium with some snacks, it wasn't that way. Uncertain when things began to get weirder. Maybe when the show content began to get more off of the beaten path?

1999 was definitely one of those years where the chemistry was terrible. I absolutely HATED the staff. I almost didn't go back because I thought that was commonplace. 2000 definitely felt like what people are describing of 2018's Cadets. I'm not sure when it started to get like it was in those years people have been describing, but let's hope for no more of THAT! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

However, I am curious as to what kind of beer you had. :guinesssmilie:

Hmm, recently... I think you might be able to source Troegs' out your way, Tekk. Their Crimson Pistil and Sunshine Pils were a nice surprise. Last night I tried Straub's Ancient Alt Altbier and also found it pretty decent.

8 minutes ago, BigW said:

Hmm, recently... I think you might be able to source Troegs' out your way, Tekk. Their Crimson Pistil and Sunshine Pils were a nice surprise. Last night I tried Straub's Ancient Alt Altbier and also found it pretty decent.

Well, they're opening some kind of "brewery" restaurant down the street from my house so maybe I'll have the opportunity to try it! 

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Truth is, the last couple of years, they weren’t even trying to hide the tension.  It was so thick in 2016 when I was at a rehearsal, I left for awhile and had a beer. 

There is one other member, not GH...long time on Cadets' faculty and always in GH's shadow or winnebego...who didn't go to Bahstahn and hasn't been too successful with other corps. His absence in the box speaks loudly about the much better way the mms are treated and responding this season. At one time he was a characterture, then he became burnt-out, then a hurdle and problem. Now that problem is gone.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5